Can i flush with wet soil?

• Thread starter Gaudreau1925
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gaudreau1925

Gaudreau1925

Hey guys, new to the site and a first time grower. So I'm at week 8 in flower on my Bruce banner. The tric are starting to amber and I believe I am ready to flush. (I've also had many growers say the same). So here's my question, I noticed the amber after I fed my girls some nutrients on saturday, so would I be safe to start my flush today 3 days after feeding my girls with the soil still moist, or should i wait until my soil drys up before I start to flush?

Vagician

Vagician

Always water on the same time interval as you would have when feeding as you definitely don't want to cause any root issues this close to harvest. On the days you flush, water with your usual volume, and 10 minutes later do it again. You're basically dissolving the nutrients with the first pass of water, and flushing them out with the second pass. If your soil is light and porous enough, this won't cause the rootball to be waterlogged.

I usually begin to flush as the trichomes are starting to go from clear to milky. This way, by the time you've got 7-10 days of flushing done you've got a good balance of milky and amber. By the time you've harvested and dried, you'll be mostly amber with not many of them going too far.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You don't want your roots to become waterlogged, but it will not decrease he potency if they do. I don't personnaly flush and don't see a reason for it as the plants have already taken up as much nutrients as they need. Flushing the soil will starve the plants somewhat but won't really get rid of nutrients in the plant, since it store a lot of them in the leaves and roots. Here is an interesting story that seems to have been overlooked by the flushing craze:
In my opinion, if you are using too many nutes that requires flushing, then you are using way too many nutes. Just my experience after decades and my opinion as well. Your mileage may vary.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You don't want your roots to become waterlogged, but it will not decrease he potency if they do. I don't personnaly flush and don't see a reason for it as the plants have already taken up as much nutrients as they need. Flushing the soil will starve the plants somewhat but won't really get rid of nutrients in the plant, since it store a lot of them in the leaves and roots. Here is an interesting story that seems to have been overlooked by the flushing craze:
In my opinion, if you are using too many nutes that requires flushing, then you are using way too many nutes. Just my experience after decades and my opinion as well. Your mileage may vary.
I find flushing my pot I get less of a cough than when I haven't flushed. I water or feed every 3/4 days my last week I water as usual then when feed time comes up I flush. I usually use 1 gallon of feed / water in my 3 gallon pots and that gives me about 10% run off. When I flush I'll run 3 - 4 gallons through the pots 1 at a time until the water runs clear / amber and now that I have my first ppm meter I check the run off after each gallon. Initially I'll get 900 - 1000 ppm after 3 gallons its down to 500ppm then back into the flower room until it dries out and I cut and hang in 3-4 days. I've never read or been told how to flush this is my own interpretation of what flushing means.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I find flushing my pot I get less of a cough than when I haven't flushed. I water or feed every 3/4 days my last week I water as usual then when feed time comes up I flush. I usually use 1 gallon of feed / water in my 3 gallon pots and that gives me about 10% run off. When I flush I'll run 3 - 4 gallons through the pots 1 at a time until the water runs clear / amber and now that I have my first ppm meter I check the run off after each gallon. Initially I'll get 900 - 1000 ppm after 3 gallons its down to 500ppm then back into the flower room until it dries out and I cut and hang in 3-4 days. I've never read or been told how to flush this is my own interpretation of what flushing means.
Everyone has their preferences, which is fine. I have only flushed my plants a few times, mostly when I was first starting a while back. If I used too much fertilizer, which is incredibly easy to do when you are first starting out. I would flush the 5 gallon buckets out with a few gallons of water in an effort to remove the excess fertilizer. To me, flushing was more of a medical issue. Flushing before harvest is still a gray area and is best left for personal preferences. My few tries at flushing, which had me curious, yielded me about the same quantity of buds but the flushed ones lacked the oil-ness compared to the non flushed, and I had a lot more leaf yellowing and die-off. In the end, it was pretty much the same, IMO. FWIW, my PPMs never approach the levels that you are seeing, and my water always comes out clear without being discolored first. This is probably due to the different mediums and methods we employ. In the end, if you have a decent product, you have done well.

Top Bottom