Can I Mix Coco With Roots Organic Soil If It's Too Hot?

• Thread starter AJGirlsGrow2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

I have been growing with Roots Organic Potting Soil and throughout entire grow I have had trouble with nute burn, crispy tips, curled up, etc. Before I transplant my babies into their final pots I am considering either mixing the Roots soil with some coco OR switching to Coco all together pending more research on that. I have a feeling this strain, Lithium OG Kush is sensitive to the Roots.
When I first received the clones they came from fox farm, I put in roots, gave nutes, and learned it was too early and I burnt them a lil so I flushed them and never gave nutes again. 3 weeks into flowering I thought they were hungry, I fed one to try, burnt again, and so I flushed the flowering moms again and the clones/teenagers I call them, because they too had a little nitrogen toxicity. Despite this, still seeing some signs of burn, though the buds and sugar leaves look nice. So, like I said, wondering if I should mix with some coco to make it no so strong like half and half? Or just transplanting into Coco? Any suggestions??

Smerb

Smerb

I have been growing with Roots Organic Potting Soil and throughout entire grow I have had trouble with nute burn, crispy tips, curled up, etc. Before I transplant my babies into their final pots I am considering either mixing the Roots soil with some coco OR switching to Coco all together pending more research on that. I have a feeling this strain, Lithium OG Kush is sensitive to the Roots.
When I first received the clones they came from fox farm, I put in roots, gave nutes, and learned it was too early and I burnt them a lil so I flushed them and never gave nutes again. 3 weeks into flowering I thought they were hungry, I fed one to try, burnt again, and so I flushed the flowering moms again and the clones/teenagers I call them, because they too had a little nitrogen toxicity. Despite this, still seeing some signs of burn, though the buds and sugar leaves look nice. So, like I said, wondering if I should mix with some coco to make it no so strong like half and half? Or just transplanting into Coco? Any suggestions??
You soil shouldn't be the problem. Are you correctly measuring how much nutrients your using? That's really what could be going on. What nutes are you using?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Coco is the way to go if you like to water and feed.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

I have another post asking for help... the thing is, I have not been giving nutrients because of the burn. This is what I've done.
March 1st I got two clones, they were in fox farm soil, I transplanted them to my soil, the Roots Organic.
Not knowing about the soil and early stages, I gave 1/4 strength of Elite Nutrient line.
I discovered it burnt them, so I flushed them and the got way better.
A month passed, no nutes at all, switched lighting to 12/12 and a week into flowering, I was seeing yellow leaves, seemed to be hungry at this point. I had fed and flushed some time ago at this point and they were flowering so I decided to feed just one to test it in case, and I only fed one again 1/4 strength nutrients on the flower schedule, within next few days, burnt tips and signs of burn on that one, the one I did not feed, still had signs of burn, just not as bad or quickly, so it was pretty clear that feeding or not, they are still getting burnt.

So, In the past 3 months, I literally fed one of them only once in veg and then flushed, and never fed again, it still is burnt, and the second one twice, once in veg, then a flush, and once in flowering. I have seen many people talk about this soil being hot and some strains being sensitive to it. I'll share some pics of the burnt areas.

IMG 20170520 133451
IMG 20170520 133458
IMG 20170520 133631
IMG 20170521 122222
IMG 20170521 122241
IMG 20170521 122302
IMG 20170528 163039
IMG 20170528 163142
AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

On the up side, here is a nice bud pic from yesterday, the sugar leaves are ok and I'm probably gonna flush again I'm thinking.

IMG 20170528 162939
IMG 20170528 163011
IMG 20170528 163111
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I have another post asking for help... the thing is, I have not been giving nutrients because of the burn. This is what I've done.
March 1st I got two clones, they were in fox farm soil, I transplanted them to my soil, the Roots Organic.
Not knowing about the soil and early stages, I gave 1/4 strength of Elite Nutrient line.
I discovered it burnt them, so I flushed them and the got way better.
A month passed, no nutes at all, switched lighting to 12/12 and a week into flowering, I was seeing yellow leaves, seemed to be hungry at this point. I had fed and flushed some time ago at this point and they were flowering so I decided to feed just one to test it in case, and I only fed one again 1/4 strength nutrients on the flower schedule, within next few days, burnt tips and signs of burn on that one, the one I did not feed, still had signs of burn, just not as bad or quickly, so it was pretty clear that feeding or not, they are still getting burnt.

So, In the past 3 months, I literally fed one of them only once in veg and then flushed, and never fed again, it still is burnt, and the second one twice, once in veg, then a flush, and once in flowering. I have seen many people talk about this soil being hot and some strains being sensitive to it. I'll share some pics of the burnt areas.
Looks like they are hungry for nitrogen, nute burn will crinkle and curl up the leaves, what you have are deficiencies from not feeding, check the chart in my sig link for nitrogen calcium and potassium deficiencies.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Too late for nitrogen now, I would justfinish them out on flower nutesand then flush for 10 days.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

The one I fed was worse than the one I didn't. They have the same symptoms has my clones in veg which I expect in that soil that young, same symptoms, 90 degree angle on leaves, the claw at times, and burnt tips curling upward on some. You think I should feed again?

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

I am looking at your chart and also seeing several of the deficiency symptoms.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

I guess I should have done the regular 1/2 strength of flowering nutes not 1/4. Do that today.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
How are you feeding them?
For instance, do you measure your nutes and mix them one at a time in a gallon jug of water or do you mix them all together in a 5 gal bucket and then pour water in on top?
How much nutes per gallon are you using?

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Im back an forth, transplanting babies right now. I mix one nute at a time into a gallon shake it up, clean materials, and then put the next nute and shake it up, clean it and so on. I water plants through top of soil until about 10-20% run off. I have never done more than 1/4 strength any time I did it, the very few times I did. Ill be back to check in before feeding moms after transplant.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Flush for 10 days straight?
The final flush is when you stop feeding for the last two weeks and just water normally with just straight Phed tap water. It helps the plant use the chlorophyll in the leaves as food and makes a really smooth vape/smoke. If you feed it till chop it will be harsh and choker smoke.
If done at the right time your plant will fade to yellows oranges and purples like fall colors.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Ok, yes I had read about flushing out everything in the end so will def do that. I am about to feed one of the moms at reg 1/2 strength has schedule with nutes say, just to make sure before I feed both. I just transplanted my teens they look great, they were showing signs of needing room and I scraped change up and ran to store for a few pots lol. Ive put every dollar into this set up in the last few months but it's worth it.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

I went ahead and fed them both at half, hope for the best. The clones look great from what they came from. This is what was coming off up close too and some other photos.

IMG 20170529 142403
IMG 20170529 143538
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
When you say half, how much ml per gallon of which nutrients are you adding? Is 30 ml per gallon half strength?
I throw away my feeding charts and start with 5 ml/gal base nutes and addatives and usually never go over 20ml per gallon total

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Ill take pic of chart and tell you what I did. So I am on 8 in Bloom, it says half strength for the soil mix like I have so I did 4ml of base A and B each, 1ml of Root Tonic C, and 1.5 ml of Resin D, this is per gallon. I only have two moms to feed.

IMG 20170529 1601341
AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Thank you for your help by the way, guess I as not realizing that some deficiencies have similar signs of nute burn. My next batch should go wonderfully. Next time just the roots soil and no nutes til flowering.

Top Bottom