Can someone please help with this deficiency

• Thread starter Deforced
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deforced

Deforced

Just another quick question as I've been thinking. I'm going to add onto this that when I was watering 2 times in 24hr with a EC of 1.2, it just kept rising and rising as it returns to the tank, would this be because I wasnt irrigating enough so the coco is drying back and leaving and salts were building up? Hopefully watering regular like we say will fix this issue.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just another quick question as I've been thinking. I'm going to add onto this that when I was watering 2 times in 24hr with a EC of 1.2, it just kept rising and rising as it returns to the tank, would this be because I wasnt irrigating enough so the coco is drying back and leaving and salts were building up? Hopefully watering regular like we say will fix this issue.
Absolutely could be contributing, as over time the nutrients can build up and then be reabsorbed later on. Also and decay or root shedding can contribute a small amount as well as tannins leached from the coco.

basically yes it is possible.

how often are your res changes?

Deforced

Deforced

Absolutely could be contributing, as over time the nutrients can build up and then be reabsorbed later on. Also and decay or root shedding can contribute a small amount as well as tannins leached from the coco.

basically yes it is possible.

how often are your res changes?
Right OK thanks, res change every week to replace all nutrients freshly, before on other grows I have actually just topped up nutes and res and then change every 2weeks without any problems but I've gone down the every week route because of these problems I'm having. I did hear changing every week and replace with equal amount of nutes is a good way because you then know what's in the res. Does this sound right?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Depends on the res size and how your maintaining it. Live or sterile as well as the ph adjusting products your using and how much over that time period can effect nutrient ratios say if adding phosphoric acid will add phosphorus each time.

my general rule to hydro if you are maintaining sterile (adding hydrogen peroxide or other) is change once you add back the volume of actual water you start with. So initially may be 3 weeks and during peak maybe 2 times a week

Deforced

Deforced

Depends on the res size and how your maintaining it. Live or sterile as well as the ph adjusting products your using and how much over that time period can effect nutrient ratios say if adding phosphoric acid will add phosphorus each time.

my general rule to hydro if you are maintaining sterile (adding hydrogen peroxide or other) is change once you add back the volume of actual water you start with. So initially may be 3 weeks and during peak maybe 2 times a week
OK, res size is 250litre, I'm using vitalink ph down as I've never needed to ph up, ph down every day, now with that many feeds I've added on it will be 2times a day but I am thinking about upgrading to a bluelab connect ph adjuster to monitor that for and keep it in the right range.

Deforced

Deforced

I'm actually using the vitalink ph down, but now I've just looked and they do a ph down easy version? Which one would you recommend? I'm not too clued up on that side of things really

Deforced

Deforced

Screenshot 20220410 180741 Samsung Internet

Screenshot 20220410 180755 Samsung Internet
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Find the most concentrated food grade phosphoric acid you can buy like 80% and brand doesn’t matter as all will be nothing more than that and distilled water.
Sulfuric acid is also acceptable but I prefer phosphoric for price, availability and effectiveness.

do NOT use nitric or citric acid. Waste of money and will create ph issues for you in hydro.

where ya live roughly and I find something in you country, province or state that’s cheap and good

Deforced

Deforced

Find the most concentrated food grade phosphoric acid you can buy like 80% and brand doesn’t matter as all will be nothing more than that and distilled water.
Sulfuric acid is also acceptable but I prefer phosphoric for price, availability and effectiveness.

do NOT use nitric or citric acid. Waste of money and will create ph issues for you in hydro.

where ya live roughly and I find something in you country, province or state that’s cheap and good
OK no problem, do you think this would cause issues if the water frequency doesn't solve the problem?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Especially not with an EC around 1+ it’s just not enough to put ratios out of balance in that time period

Reactions: PK1
Deforced

Deforced

OK no problem so I can rule that out then. Touch wood the frequent feeds will sort the problem and I will update it on here soon as I see improvements because each day I check on them they seem to be getting worse! Thanks for your help, if I have anymore questions I'll leave a message on here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OK no problem so I can rule that out then. Touch wood the frequent feeds will sort the problem and I will update it on here soon as I see improvements because each day I check on them they seem to be getting worse! Thanks for your help, if I have anymore questions I'll leave a message on here.
Sounds good 👌 think it’s going to solve a lot of the issues you see.
You did just flush with 3x the pot volume at 50% nutrient strength correct?
If not then I’d top feed say 3 gal per plant from the red next feed then 9 gal per plant before the next changeout. Doing a top feed right before each changeout to clear any buuldup going forward.

madding a product such as hygrozyme will really help prevent build up also. And that shit will rip built up nutrients out of the coco like nothing. In fact it’s so effective you want you nutrient solution to be half what it normally is when you first use it because it will make nutrients and buildup so availabile they can end up over fed.

I add it once to each res change out at half dose and always will

Deforced

Deforced

Sounds good 👌 think it’s going to solve a lot of the issues you see.
You did just flush with 3x the pot volume at 50% nutrient strength correct?
If not then I’d top feed say 3 gal per plant from the red next feed then 9 gal per plant before the next changeout. Doing a top feed right before each changeout to clear any buuldup going forward.

madding a product such as hygrozyme will really help prevent build up also. And that shit will rip built up nutrients out of the coco like nothing. In fact it’s so effective you want you nutrient solution to be half what it normally is when you first use it because it will make nutrients and buildup so availabile they can end up over fed.

I add it once to each res change out at half dose and always will
I haven't flushed it through but I've definitely flushed the saltbuildup out for the past few days as I've been worried that this was the issue so it's already been flushed through and now started adding 1.1ec, I've just cane home from work checked on them and they are starting to point towards the light and looking a bit better than they did so hopefully they stay like that. I will take a look at this hygrozyme now, so you only add hygrozyme to flush between res changes?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I haven't flushed it through but I've definitely flushed the saltbuildup out for the past few days as I've been worried that this was the issue so it's already been flushed through and now started adding 1.1ec, I've just cane home from work checked on them and they are starting to point towards the light and looking a bit better than they did so hopefully they stay like that. I will take a look at this hygrozyme now, so you only add hygrozyme to flush between res changes?
Flush before res change with old solution then toss and make a new res adding half recommended hygrozyme. There are many enzymes on the market but hygrozyme is a really aggressive one that I know will help you with your issue of buildup. Komplete is another but slightly less aggressive

Deforced

Deforced

Flush before res change with old solution then toss and make a new res adding half recommended hygrozyme. There are many enzymes on the market but hygrozyme is a really aggressive one that I know will help you with your issue of buildup. Komplete is another but slightly less aggressive
Cheers I'll grab a bottle.

Top Bottom