Can we talk about PPM?

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Found this list on growace.com:
  • Seedlings: 100-250 (nutrients aren't needed here, hence there's not a lot of particles needed)
  • First Half of Vegging Cycle: 300-400 (this is usually after you transplant, which still doesn't require many nutrients)
  • Second Half of Vegging: 450-700 (you'll start giving your plants more nutrients at this stage)
  • First Half of Flowering: 750-950 (your plants will be eating more as they grow, so they'll be taking in more nutrients)
  • Second Half of Flowering: 1000-1600 (this is when your plant's eating the most, especially if you give it additives)
  • End of Flower, Entering Harvest: As close to 0 as possible (this is when you'll be flushing your plants, so you don't want there to be a lot of particles leftover)

Would love to hear feedback from others here on these guidelines.

I'm suspect I knee-capped my last grow by overfeeding them; my PPM was in the 1500s in early veg. This round I am going to be more conservative and intend to use this guide unless feedback convinces me otherwise.

johnursery

johnursery

This seems pretty good but general of course, that's probably for the best though and seems safe, I've read alot about flush not being needed but I like to give some simple carbs like sweet or molasses while backing down on nutes at the end i like to think in nature the plants nutes are going slowly away towards harvest

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

This is definitely helpful.

I'm wondering if tapering down to 0 in the second to last week, then one week of 0 ppm would be the way to go, or does it make more sense to go from full throttle to slamming on the brakes be better. I'm leaving towards the former.

Also I'm wondering- would staying too low during the second half of flowering cause a slow down in ripening and lower yield? Or does it ripen regardless of nutrition and simply wouldn't get as fat.

Reactions: PK1
johnursery

johnursery

You're definitely losing mass if your nutes are too low during 2nd 1/2 of flowering but that's the trade off and would need monitoring on a garden by garden and adjusting for genetics also but the plants will tell you if you're burning them or its way too low i feel it doesn't matter how high others can take their ppm's unless you have a very good environment dialed in with the genetics and co2 is another factor that allows things to get pushed farther. But no shame in keeping things low sometimes especially depending on the strain and environmental conditions it maybe entirely necessary
Peace

caregivermac

caregivermac

Found this list on growace.com:
  • Seedlings: 100-250 (nutrients aren't needed here, hence there's not a lot of particles needed)
  • First Half of Vegging Cycle: 300-400 (this is usually after you transplant, which still doesn't require many nutrients)
  • Second Half of Vegging: 450-700 (you'll start giving your plants more nutrients at this stage)
  • First Half of Flowering: 750-950 (your plants will be eating more as they grow, so they'll be taking in more nutrients)
  • Second Half of Flowering: 1000-1600 (this is when your plant's eating the most, especially if you give it additives)
  • End of Flower, Entering Harvest: As close to 0 as possible (this is when you'll be flushing your plants, so you don't want there to be a lot of particles leftover)

Would love to hear feedback from others here on these guidelines.

I'm suspect I knee-capped my last grow by overfeeding them; my PPM was in the 1500s in early veg. This round I am going to be more conservative and intend to use this guide unless feedback convinces me otherwise.
Some of this stuff seem awfully high in numbers to me. I am a newbie at indoor grows, Are these total numbers or are they the 6 inch squares plotted out? Just purchased Mars Hydro TS 1000. from advice else where on this site said, might not get huge buds size of my arm but would have respectable harvest. In Tent 4 x 4' x 80" reflective inside.

Only place Mars Hydro has that high reading is center of pattern. A very respected lighting company in door grows?

caregivermac

caregivermac

You're definitely losing mass if your nutes are too low during 2nd 1/2 of flowering but that's the trade off and would need monitoring on a garden by garden and adjusting for genetics also but the plants will tell you if you're burning them or its way too low i feel it doesn't matter how high others can take their ppm's unless you have a very good environment dialed in with the genetics and co2 is another factor that allows things to get pushed farther. But no shame in keeping things low sometimes especially depending on the strain and environmental conditions it maybe entirely necessary
Peace

Which is more important nutes or light?

• Haha
Reactions: PK1
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Some of this stuff seem awfully high in numbers to me. I am a newbie at indoor grows, Are these total numbers or are they the 6 inch squares plotted out? Just purchased Mars Hydro TS 1000. from advice else where on this site said, might not get huge buds size of my arm but would have respectable harvest. In Tent 4 x 4' x 80" reflective inside.

Only place Mars Hydro has that high reading is center of pattern. A very respected lighting company in door grows?
PPM is nutrients. 😃

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Is there a wiki here for lingo?
These terms are used in most home cultivation of nearly any plant.

PPM = Parts Per Million, an indication of nutrient potency in water.
EC = Electrical Conductivity. This reading is used to calculate PPM, but sometimes people refer to it directly.
PH = Potential of Hydrogen. This indicates the acidity or base of the media.
Humidity (assumed to be Absolute Humidity unless otherwise specified)
RH = Relative Humidity. This measurement accounts for air temperature somehow.
Lux (Not an abbreviation) = Light Intensity
PAR = Photosynthetically Active Radiation. A more affluent measurement of light intensity specific to growing. Requires more $$ gear.
VPD = Vapor Pressure Differential. Google this once you have a good handle on everything else.

That's all I can think of for now.

caregivermac

caregivermac

These terms are used in most home cultivation of nearly any plant.

PPM = Parts Per Million, an indication of nutrient potency in water.
EC = Electrical Conductivity. This reading is used to calculate PPM, but sometimes people refer to it directly.
PH = Potential of Hydrogen. This indicates the acidity or base of the media.
Humidity (assumed to be Absolute Humidity unless otherwise specified)
RH = Relative Humidity. This measurement accounts for air temperature somehow.
Lux (Not an abbreviation) = Light Intensity
PAR = Photosynthetically Active Radiation. A more affluent measurement of light intensity specific to growing. Requires more $$ gear.
VPD = Vapor Pressure Differential. Google this once you have a good handle on everything else.

That's all I can think of for now.
Thanks, I have printed this for future reference

johnursery

johnursery

I'm def gonna start running my numbers lower when I get back up based on the feedback, I've always chased 1300 and even after I added co2 I could never get there and not get some burning leaf tips but saw people online getting there or even 1500. Now I think next time I'll work up to 800 and then back down 1 week before ripe and flush a week-2

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks high to me too, especially the second half of flower rates. Thats when i usually start tapering the feed back if anything. About the highest i ever feed is around 1.3-1.5ec or 7-800ppm for the first few weeks of flower. Second half of flower is closer to 500ppm working down to 250 by week 7-9 depending on strain.

Plants outdoors below the 45th parallel grown under full sun are a different animal and can take far more though. Indoors, i almost never go over 800ppm unless the strain is a freak that wants more. But thats uber rare over here.

Last edited:
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Peace

That make sense, that less nutes means less mass in the end, I'm also wondering if it can slow down the plant's maturation.

Like can underfeeding take a strain that is supposed to finish in 9 weeks to an 11 or 12 week flowering cycle, based on trichomes?

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
Looks high to me too, especially the second half of flower rates. Thats when i usually start tapering the feed back if anything. About the highest i ever feed is around 1.3-1.5ec or 7-800ppm for the first few weeks of flower. Second half of flower is closer to 500ppm working down to 250 by week 7-9 depending on strain.

Plants outdoors below the 45th parallel grown under full sun are a different animal and can take far more though. Indoors, i almost never go over 800ppm unless the strain is a freak that wants more. But thats uber rare over here.

Hi Dirtbag:
Thank you for your previous instruction, and you used to say that u will drop EC back to 0.8-1ec after the stretch for weeks 4-8 ,But if its sativa main hybrids (around 10-12 weeks of flowering), Do i still need to cut it to 0.8-1.0 EC in the fourth week or so?
In addition, I recently found that the calmag can be stopped around the second week of flowering. I think if my tap water (about 120 ppm), I may not need any calmag, and i really don't know what to do .

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
I've learnt from my last run experience that the peak of EC in bloom is around 1.2-1.3 (what I heard from the TheDudegrows is 1.2EC is the most economical usage in bloom, and I feel that if the EC of run off is too high in the middle or late flowering , the flushing will be a bit tricky."Less" is more. It's huge important, (It's not just about cutting ppm or EC,stop feeding nitrogen and Silica in week 5-6, and eliminate all micro , including calmag in the last 3 weeks.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom