Can we talk about PPM?

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hi Dirtbag:
Thank you for your previous instruction, and you used to say that u will drop EC back to 0.8-1ec after the stretch for weeks 4-8 ,But if its sativa main hybrids (around 10-12 weeks of flowering), Do i still need to cut it to 0.8-1.0 EC in the fourth week or so?
In addition, I recently found that the calmag can be stopped around the second week of flowering. I think if my tap water (about 120 ppm), I may not need any calmag, and i really don't know what to do .
If youre tap water is 120ppm i wouldnt use calmag. As for feeding in week 4 flower it depends how the plant is feeding and how it looks, some plants like more and some less and i always strive to intentionally underfeed by a hair, so there is no hard and fast rule about when to start dialing the food back. But for me i guess the general ques i look for are when the buds really slow down on new calyx growth and stop pumping out white hairs before they swell, and ill keep an eye on runoff ppm and try to use that a a guide too.

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
If youre tap water is 120ppm i wouldnt use calmag. As for feeding in week 4 flower it depends how the plant is feeding and how it looks, some plants like more and some less and i always strive to intentionally underfeed by a hair, so there is no hard and fast rule about when to start dialing the food back. But for me i guess the general ques i look for are when the buds really slow down on new calyx growth and stop pumping out white hairs before they swell, and ill keep an eye on runoff ppm and try to use that a a guide too.
Nice , bro
I have been studying organic cultivation for some time. Recently, I bought some super soil for ginseng cultivation in the border area between China and North Korea,according to their manual, the pH range of this kind of soil is 4.8-6.5, and the organic content of the soil is more than 40%. To be honest, I don't know whether this kind of soil is suitable or not , but i will try it .
The following is my plan with organic soil mix, what do u think ?
- 4 parts ginseng soil
- 1 part worm castings
- 1 part coco
- 1 part perlite
- 2.5–5% guano
- 2.5% blood meal
Use RO water, adjust pH range(Organic pH Down and Up,with table vinegar and baking soda, ph target :6.6-6.7)

PK1

PK1

Supporter
on my last run, i was using promix hp with mc and i did not flush and feed her until she was chopped. 1600 does seem high but some strains do take it.
I think it's always best to read your plant vs basing on ppm. However, i do like to know the ppm i am feeding just so i have an idea and i've had good luck at about 800/1000 ppm.

Some of this stuff seem awfully high in numbers to me. I am a newbie at indoor grows, Are these total numbers or are they the 6 inch squares plotted out? Just purchased Mars Hydro TS 1000. from advice else where on this site said, might not get huge buds size of my arm but would have respectable harvest. In Tent 4 x 4' x 80" reflective inside.

Only place Mars Hydro has that high reading is center of pattern. A very respected lighting company in door grows?
I've had good size cola's with TS1000. however, for a 4x4 you gonna need more than just one ts1000. 😁

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
I hope one day I can decide how much nutrition to give and what kind of nutrition to add according to the situation of the plants. and even dont need to record the time of flowering.LoL

There is still a long way to go ....................

johnursery

johnursery

That make sense, that less nutes means less mass in the end, I'm also wondering if it can slow down the plant's maturation.

Like can underfeeding take a strain that is supposed to finish in 9 weeks to an 11 or 12 week flowering cycle, based on trichomes?
Yes if the underfeeding is too low than its more of a mild flushing and less a feeding and will slow ripening, I think the trick for me is trying to guess basically, if its a 9 week strain than having a week or two to flush and taking it to 11 weeks is fine with me. However as I mentioned I've read a bit that says flushing doesn't really do anything but it's how I learned. Just remember just like in curing better is the enemy of good sometimes

NewGrowerer

NewGrowerer

I was going by EC. Is this okay or look high??

Veg 1.1 - 1.6

Flower
Week1-3 : 1.6 to 2
Week4-5 : 2 to 2.6
Week6-7: 2.6 to 3.2
Week8-9: flush

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I've read a bit that says flushing doesn't really do anything but it's how I learned.

If flushing produces the same results as not flushing, then you're just wasting nutrients if you keep feeding until harvest. That's good enough reason to "flush"

And it makes sense that it would slow ripening. I'm on week 12 of these autos and I don't think I fed them enough, in general. I feel like they should be done by now but they are taking their sweet time.

growsince79

growsince79

If flushing produces the same results as not flushing, then you're just wasting nutrients if you keep feeding until harvest. That's good enough reason to "flush"

And it makes sense that it would slow ripening. I'm on week 12 of these autos and I don't think I fed them enough, in general. I feel like they should be done by now but they are taking their sweet time.
Not sure about autos. But my regular plants, if fed less, develope smaller buds that get ripe faster than the would if I fed them more. But I've only been growing 42 years so idk.

caregivermac

caregivermac

This was pretty much fed 750-650ppm the majority through flower .highest it got was 1100 at start reduced it pretty quick after that.

That is a nice grow what strain and if this is old video what was yield?

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Not sure about autos. But my regular plants, if fed less, develope smaller buds that get ripe faster than the would if I fed them more. But I've only been growing 42 years so idk.

Fascinating! I'm really curious to find out if there's other people with similar experiences. Thanks for sharing your findings!

Madmax

Madmax

That is a nice grow what strain and if this is old video what was yield?
Aurora indica fem from mnsl....just pulled today..had to get it out to make way for others to take its place.was pulled a week early at 8 weeks.grown with canna classic nutes in coco coir..id guess theres close to 7-8 oz on her.its dense as all buggery lol..

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Hi Dirtbag:
Thank you for your previous instruction, and you used to say that u will drop EC back to 0.8-1ec after the stretch for weeks 4-8 ,But if its sativa main hybrids (around 10-12 weeks of flowering), Do i still need to cut it to 0.8-1.0 EC in the fourth week or so?
In addition, I recently found that the calmag can be stopped around the second week of flowering. I think if my tap water (about 120 ppm), I may not need any calmag, and i really don't know what to do .
Heck i'd kill to have water like that.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I don't have an EC meter, but I do have a ppm meter. Can one calculate EC with PPM?

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

You indoor worriers keep dem PPMs low!!! For me? i dont usually rock a PPM check i just use organic recipes, but my AACT comes out 800-1000 PPM with just some good ol homemade worm castings and molasses. I have fed as high as 1500 PPM with no burning. But i grow outside in dirt thats bigger than ye average tent. I dont understand why such little food during veg? I like to grow em till they are hungry, usually about a foot tall in three gal pots and then start with 100 PPMs of fish, bumping it up by 50-100 weekly. That chart is seemingly for indoors, because i do 5 months veg and by the end of it they are eating 1000 PPM easily....I like to keep bumping it up until your riding the ragged line of almost too much, get a lil burnt tip and keep it there for a week then bump again. I also do that with my top dressings, i was putting TWO soup bowls of dry amendments weekly on em! I just watched a Advanced Nuts video with some outdoor 12ft plants and the dudes were saying that they lay it on in excess of 2000PPM. Outdoor growing, huge plants and huge dirt can take a lot more nutes, big plants eat more, huge soil bases create a buffer and living soil transfers nutrition thru the living soil food web.

Top Bottom