Can't grow from seed anymore

• Thread starter zebracake
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zebracake

Been growing for 2 years used to be able to start seeds without thinking twice about it. Now all of a sudden they don’t grow any set of true leaves and just stagnate until they die of damp off no matter what the conditions are. humidity can be 30% with a medium that’s dry on top but wet on the bottom. Humidity can be 60-70% with a wet medium or dry medium. I’ve put them outside where the humidity ranges from 60-90% and get the same result every time.

I had some 4-5 week old seedlings outdoors that were still alive because of the rain but they’re still fuckin seedlings with one set of true leaves at most I don’t understand this it’s like the rules for growing a seedling have completely changed for me this shit is so bizarre. I had to buy clones for my current grow that’s flowering right now and the plants I have vegging had to be started by a buddy of mine who started them in soil. Now I'm trying to get the next batch going and it looks like I'm gonna have to buy clones again.

I’ve rinsed my coco until the ppms are 0, I put the coco in the oven until it’s scorching hot, humidity is 65%, temp is 80f, light is hlg 300 b spec, light distance is 36 inches not directly under the light which is about 200 ppfd. I also water with 2ml of 35% peroxide per gallon to combat damp off which doesn’t work at all. Then once the leaves are showing I’ll feed 100ppm. I have no idea what to do anymore this shit is blowing my mind I literally cannot grow anymore I have to rely on other people to start seeds for me or buy clones. Fuck this shit is bullshit man. I literally don’t do anything different than I was doing the previous 2 years this shit is some sort of curse I've burned thru almost 100 seeds trying to figure out what the fuck is going on here if anyone has had a similar experience please fucking help me lol my only option at this point is to quit growing from seed altogether and just buy rooted clones which I don't want to do. Holy fuck this shit should not be this complicated.

This seedling is 1 week old and you can already tell it's going to damp off. The grow medium was just watered which is why it looks damp but it was mostly dry before that and still somehow showing signs of damp off. Shit makes no sense. I'm dripping small drops of water with a 3ml pipette to make 100% sure the water isn't touching the base of the stem and the top of the grow medium drys out within a day or 2 anyways.

Cant grow from seed anymore
Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Do the seedling stems elongate until they flop over? Not enough light.

Does the seedling get to a certain size and then stop growing? Overwatering.

Do the seeds fail to sprout? Soak them overnight first.

Do they still fail to sprout? Those seeds may be dead.

I have no experience with coco, so I can't help you there.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Seeds no dome, no fan on them 150-200ppfd on 18/6 sont run 24/0 if you are.Humidity better too low than too high. Up your nutrients to 300-400ppm and make sure the solution is ph balanced.

What source water are you using?

Z

zebracake

Do the seedling stems elongate until they flop over? Not enough light.

Does the seedling get to a certain size and then stop growing? Overwatering.

Do the seeds fail to sprout? Soak them overnight first.

Do they still fail to sprout? Those seeds may be dead.

I have no experience with coco, so I can't help you there.
No elongation they're getting enough light 100% it's just damping off no matter how wet or dry it's always damping off. I've tried only watering from the bottom so no water gets near the stem and they damp off anyways. I've tried watering once then not watering at all anymore and they die of drought. There's no in between

Z

zebracake

Seeds no dome, no fan on them 150-200ppfd on 18/6 sont run 24/0 if you are.Humidity better too low than too high. Up your nutrients to 300-400ppm and make sure the solution is ph balanced.

I have humidity at 65% for vpd since temp is 80f but I might lower to 50%. R/O water. I've never fed a seedling that didn't have any true leaves. Can a seedling with no true leaves handle that much ppm?

Z

zebracake

Hey zebra cakes so you have gnats flying around?
I think starting seeds in coco you should use a high end coco like canna or plagron.
Have you ever tried cutting clones yourself so your boot having to buy them every round?
I've had gnats before but haven't seen any at all. Does quality of coco make a difference if you rinse and sanitize it? I'm going to cut some clones from the plants I have now and put them in rockwool. I've only successfully cloned once in a propagator but it's worth a shot at this point.

Your pic didn't appear the first time I saw your post.

That poor seedling has most of its roots above the soil. Not good.
That white stuff is perlite not roots.

Z

zebracake

In coco you ALWAYS feed. They store enough energy to break the ground. In soil you may get aeay with it but not coco
Makes sense. My seedlings always grew slower than I thought they should when they weren't damping off. I'll try again and start with 200 then once the shell breaks 3-400ppm.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

With RO you need to buffer and ph adjust. It’s possible that’s your issue

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Been growing for 2 years used to be able to start seeds without thinking twice about it. Now all of a sudden they don’t grow any set of true leaves and just stagnate until they die of damp off no matter what the conditions are. humidity can be 30% with a medium that’s dry on top but wet on the bottom. Humidity can be 60-70% with a wet medium or dry medium. I’ve put them outside where the humidity ranges from 60-90% and get the same result every time.

I had some 4-5 week old seedlings outdoors that were still alive because of the rain but they’re still fuckin seedlings with one set of true leaves at most I don’t understand this it’s like the rules for growing a seedling have completely changed for me this shit is so bizarre. I had to buy clones for my current grow that’s flowering right now and the plants I have vegging had to be started by a buddy of mine who started them in soil. Now I'm trying to get the next batch going and it looks like I'm gonna have to buy clones again.

I’ve rinsed my coco until the ppms are 0, I put the coco in the oven until it’s scorching hot, humidity is 65%, temp is 80f, light is hlg 300 b spec, light distance is 36 inches not directly under the light which is about 200 ppfd. I also water with 2ml of 35% peroxide per gallon to combat damp off which doesn’t work at all. Then once the leaves are showing I’ll feed 100ppm. I have no idea what to do anymore this shit is blowing my mind I literally cannot grow anymore I have to rely on other people to start seeds for me or buy clones. Fuck this shit is bullshit man. I literally don’t do anything different than I was doing the previous 2 years this shit is some sort of curse I've burned thru almost 100 seeds trying to figure out what the fuck is going on here if anyone has had a similar experience please fucking help me lol my only option at this point is to quit growing from seed altogether and just buy rooted clones which I don't want to do. Holy fuck this shit should not be this complicated.

This seedling is 1 week old and you can already tell it's going to damp off. The grow medium was just watered which is why it looks damp but it was mostly dry before that and still somehow showing signs of damp off. Shit makes no sense. I'm dripping small drops of water with a 3ml pipette to make 100% sure the water isn't touching the base of the stem and the top of the grow medium drys out within a day or 2 anyways.
Try straight perlite,you can water it daily and still have plenty of air.

Z

zebracake

Thanks for the super quick replies guys.

With RO you need to buffer and ph adjust. It’s possible that’s your issue

Thx I keep my water ph at 6 but I never considered the low alkalinity of ro water, that could be part of the problem. I use potassium silicate in my nute formula so that should address the alkalinity.

Neueregel

Neueregel

Hey @Aqua Man, is it better to use RO water than reg tap water?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Your pic didn't appear the first time I saw your post.

That poor seedling has most of its roots above the soil. Not good.
@mysticpipedon you tried...lol......I think what he is saying is to bury that sucker right up to the primary leaves. You have the stem / root exposed down to the perlite. If you are having trouble with that medium try promix type soils....I think its idiot proof..( no diss intended) I just stick them in pre moisten soil water around it and watch them grow.....it has enough in it to grow them for a couple of weeks before nutes are needed

B

benjones

In coco you ALWAYS feed. They store enough energy to break the ground. In soil you may get aeay with it but not coco
Hi @Aqua Man . i was just searching the site wondering when i should start to feed the plants nutrients . i planted 20 seedlings 2 weeks ago . i am growing in coco . i will be using mega crop . i have not fed the plants anything yet . should i start to feed them some nutrients from the next feed ?
my tap water is 400 EC

Top Bottom