Car jump starter for a fan??

• Thread starter Surfr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
The local power company is shutting power down for about 4 hours next week.. I don't have the cash for a genny, but I can pick up a 1150peak amp jump starter... My question is, how long will one of these things power my 275 watt exhaust fan for?? I could probably get two of the jump starters if I need to. Any help is much appreciated!!

:character0180:

F

FatMarty

Well what you need is an Inverter; not necessarily a Jump-Starter.
If the Jump Starter has an Inverter output rated at least 2 times your fans wattage you should be fine running it for many hours without overheating the unit.

Something like this one from Wally World would work fine for your application:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XI75DU-Power-Inverter/15140201

Never trust ratings on these things - they are almost always inflated for best case scenarios that only exist in an air-conditioned lab.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Why can't you just shut everything down for 4 hours? if all the lights are off, you won't need ventilation. for a short period like that, you won't even need to power aeration for DWC buckets...

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Well what you need is an Inverter; not necessarily a Jump-Starter.
If the Jump Starter has an Inverter output rated at least 2 times your fans wattage you should be fine running it for many hours without overheating the unit.

Something like this one from Wally World would work fine for your application:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XI75DU-Power-Inverter/15140201

Never trust ratings on these things - they are almost always inflated for best case scenarios that only exist in an air-conditioned lab.

Thanks FatMarty!! That's exactly what I will pick up!!!

Why can't you just shut everything down for 4 hours? if all the lights are off, you won't need ventilation. for a short period like that, you won't even need to power aeration for DWC buckets...

I don't run a sealed room and I am working with a lot of stinky stinky genetics.. last thing I need to be doing is stinking up the neighborhood while the power company is upgrading people power lines.. Ya know?

:character0180:

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Hmmm quick question. Can I charge an inverter from an AC power source?

F

FatMarty

Hmmm quick question. Can I charge an inverter from an AC power source?

No - It's not like a quick start that may have an auto battery in it.

Most people just run their vehicle with these things and run an extension cord.

Go to Wally World and look for a quick starter with an inverter or get one of each and run the inverter off of the quick start charge. :hi

convex

convex

The inverter needs a DC power source, a car or deep cycle battery.

The jumpstart contains a battery that you precharge on AC house current, but outputs 12 volt DC.

You can connect an inverter onto the jumpstart to step up the output from 12 to 110 volt.

Cheers

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Alright so I picked up that exact inverter that was linked in this thread. I'm just going to run an extension cord from the car and run I for four hours lol. Better safe than sorry!!!

Surfr

Top Bottom