CBD OIL CASE STUDY-

• Thread starter LegalGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

I'd also like to point out that you would not separate THC and CBD with a rotary evaporator. The first method he described, chromatography, is the proper method to use. The issue is that he's not setting up his column properly. A few corrections he probably needs made:

1. You don't pull a vacuum through a chromatography column--at worst you pressurize it to flow the analytes out, but the best method is to continuously pump solvent through.

2. He's using the wrong type of chromatography (sounds like he's using cation/anion exchange resin--this is meant to purify cations or anions respectively, not complex molecules--it WILL cause a separation, but not an efficient one)

The proper type of chromatography to use is reversed-phase chromatography. This takes advantage of the polarity of solutes to separate them in order of decreasing polarity. Just by a visual approximation my guess is that CBD is slightly more polar and would elute first using this method. In fact, if you use a strong enough non-polar stationary phase you might be able to do a complete separation in one run.

Edited to add:

It would also be possible to separate these via HPLC using a chiral column (an asymmetric separation), but this isn't something you do on the preparative scale unless you had a ton of money--this would be mostly for analytical purposes.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Back to this one, my friend from a legal state is going to pick me up some high quality CBD... so stay tuned!! :) (yes in the meantime I am still taking and documenting the commercial stuff).

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Case Notes Update for the week:

12/2/13- typical daily pain, worse in afternoon, 4 or 5 out of 10 pain. All rated at No Change today.
12/3/13- really bad morning pain in shoulders/jaw. Took pain killer PM. All rated at No Change today.
12/4/13- pretty good day pain wise. All rated at Mild Improvement.
12/5/13- pretty good day pain wise. All rated at Mild Improvement.
12/6/13- Good day Overall. All rated at Moderate Improvement.

- Reduce headaches, shoulder pain, jaw pain. Mild Improvement.
- Reduce anxiety. Mild Improvement.
- Reduce alcohol consumption. No Change / Although Continued Sobriety.

OzNurse

OzNurse

Blows my mind just seeing that you guys can by commerical cannabis products over there. Australia is a million miles from that ever happening...

Shall be checking back in on your progress mate.

Good luck.

-- iCultivate --
so....who says we need to go commercial ?

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Well, finally found a place I THINK will ship CBD capsules. Will update once I receive, as I just placed the order and should receive 2-5 days.

iCultivate

iCultivate

There's chemistry and then there's chemistry. Simple chemistry may be easy, but it quickly scales up and needs a great deal of theoretical knowledge to back up the practical component (or some very concise step-by-step instructions).

-- iCultivate --

squiggly

squiggly

If someone wants to pay me what I'm worth, sure. Otherwise I'm afraid I've gotta go corporate greed all the way (within reason).

OzNurse

OzNurse

If someone wants to pay me what I'm worth, sure. Otherwise I'm afraid I've gotta go corporate greed all the way (within reason).
aww..come on mate! I am a nurse, and certainly don't get paid what I am worth. Isn't the thought of living in the wonderful world of Oz a good reason to think about pulling up roots? :D

squiggly

squiggly

aww..come on mate! I am a nurse, and certainly don't get paid what I am worth. Isn't the thought of living in the wonderful world of Oz a good reason to think about pulling up roots? :D

Two words:

Student Loans.

Dunge

Dunge

I studied chemistry many years ago, and have been reading squigs offerings for years.
I'd hire him.
I expect he could not resist contributing when the time is right.
And I look forward to being here to read som e of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom