Chaos in the 4th Dimension- A grow diary

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
What a day. I spent the day running around getting none of the clones I intended. The P98 Bubba, Headband, and Chem Sour D I was waiting for didn't happen. I have to delete that other diary. I ended up with NYCD, some sort of Mendocino Diesel, Chocolope, Trainwreck, and an NL5 cross.

Here's the kicker. Driving home with the clones in the back, I rear end someone while stopped at a traffic light. I dropped my shades and when I bent down to pick them up, my foot slipped off the break and I rear ended her. Damage was minimal and there were no injuries. I'm well insured, but she insisted on calling the cops. For better worse I've been in way more compromising situations with the po po and walked away.

It gets even better. The cops show up to take care of things. Turns out my license is suspended for a unpaid speeding ticket that I thought I resolved last year. Well, I resolved the ticket, but not the suspension. Ticket was with the city, suspension with the state. So, I didn't get arrested, but I had to call a friend and her mom to come drive me home. A small reinstatement fee will have me driving again. Oh joy.

Anyway, back to the point of this. The grow diary. I'll be running Subcool's Supersoil. I mixed it over a month ago. The only addition I made was to add a little more azomite and humic acid, as well as 10% growstones. Filled the pots a couple of days ago in this fashion:

1/3 Super Soil (about 2.5 gallons), then I mix about .5 gallon of Roots Organic (also with 10% growstones) with the top layer, then filled the rest of the post with the growstone amended roots soil.

For those of you doing the Subcool Mix, or a mix of your own, I highly recommend a compost tumbler for mixing. Apparently big mixes can be done in a cement mixer too. For $100 you can get a compost tumbler at Home Depot:

Tumbler sf

So, I finally make it home about 9pm with the babies. The little ladies (and I mean little) look sadder then hell, but they were nearly free, so if they all die, no huge deal. One thing I've learned over the past few grows is that this is the last time I get clones from anyone but me. Scouting my own seeds and nurturing my own mothers for clones seems far more optimal, and gives me a lot more control in the situation.

Anyway, I mixed up some of Caps trio tea mix, transplanted, watered, and hoped for the best. I'll wait to post pictures until there are new signs of growth. . .kind of like not telling people your pregnant until after the first trimester.

First question: This is my first soil run. I'm using 7 gallon pots. How much and how frequently should they be watered? My only experience is with coco until now. THANKS!

outwest

hiboy

hiboy

Bet ur glad that day ended.
Watering in dirt is usually every other day, not for ur babies, thats bigger plants. Time also varies on grow room temps, strains, if your in flower or vegging etc.
Nothings better than having ur own moms, and not relying on anyone else
hb

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Watering in dirt is usually every other day, not for ur babies, thats bigger plants. Time also varies on grow room temps, strains, if your in flower or vegging etc.

Thanks for the response HB. Do I want a good drench? How much run off should I try to achieve, and how dry should let things get?

outwest

Medijuana

Medijuana

Good idea on the 1/3 bottom of the pot with the Supersoil. I followed the recommendations in the HT article and did half full, but I assume he must have been using much larger pots than me. One of my girls hit that layer too soon and had to deal with some nute stress, and she really did want to start flowering even though I'm on a 24/0 cycle. She's pulled through though, and everything looks fine now. Next time I'll go with the 1/3 layer route.

I'm currently watering every 3 days on average, with temps in the mid to high 70's, RH in the 55% to 65% range, and using Airpots (which tend to dry out a bit quicker I'm noticing). I know my water use will increase as the girls get bigger, but I can't imagine them needing any more than a daily watering at most. When I water, I do give them a full drenching.

hiboy

hiboy

Thanks for the response HB. Do I want a good drench? How much run off should I try to achieve, and how dry should let things get?

outwest
Just get a little run off , and if they are small plants it will take more than a day or two for them to need more . Keep ur ppms low, soils contain nutes , it takes some time to even use that up
hb

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Great info, guys. OK, when I was using a 3 gallon pot and coco, I was feeding about a gallon per plant every other day and getting about 30% runoff. With these 7 gallon pots I fed 1.5 gallons per plant and got about 10%-15% runoff. However, the soil was far from drenched. Seems like 2 gallons per pot would be the magic number to give a really good drench.

outwest

coloradochem

coloradochem

hey whats up OW? shitty day good thing you kept a cool head. alot of guys get them selves busted in those situations. ive never ran a super soil, but i thought i had read you didnt want alot of runoff with it. to try to keep the nutes in the container. i could be off base here.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
hey whats up OW? shitty day good thing you kept a cool head. alot of guys get them selves busted in those situations. ive never ran a super soil, but i thought i had read you didnt want alot of runoff with it. to try to keep the nutes in the container. i could be off base here.

Thanks for the tips! More to come. . .

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
The chaos continues. I was disheartened by my clones and their paltry state, and found what I was looking for, so I went for it. Did the same thing with a recent glass purchase. Hope it doesn't become a trend.

Anyway. . .I transplanted today 2 Alien Dawgs, 2 Pre98 Bubbas, and 2 Mob Boss (ChemDxTangTang). They look healthy, rooted, and ready to go. Gave them a nice dose of caps bennies after transplant and we're on our way.

Enjoy the show. Thanks for your patience as I straightened things out the garden.

outwest

The Garden:

4thD Day1 sf

The Alien Dawg Babies:

BABY ALIEN sf

The P98 Bubba Babies:

BABY BUBBA sf

The Mob Boss Babies:

BABY MOBB sf

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
hey bro glad your ok. fines can be paid. hope they take off for ya. ridin along for this one. oh and that composter sweet. i got one a little bigger. i love that thing . 42o

Gracias. On we go. Any suggestions on watering heavily amended soil?

outwest

420alldaze

420alldaze

yeah just keep an eye on em'. i water my 2 and 3 gallon soft pots three times a week minimal. sometimes more depending on where im at ie flower/veg. you'll get a feel for the pots once you start watering. they'll feel real light when theyre dry 42o

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
yeah just keep an eye on em'. i water my 2 and 3 gallon soft pots three times a week minimal. sometimes more depending on where im at ie flower/veg. 42o

In 3 gallon pots of coco I was feeding every other day and getting about 30% runoff. These are 7 gallon pots of soil, not sure how much runoff (if any) I should be getting and how dry I should let the soil get before watering again.

outwest

Top Bottom