Cheap Led Worth It?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hey all - found a cheap used LED for only a $200 used. Works perfectly.

Looks like a Platinum unit but the case is green not Chrome.

Any idea what unit this could be? Worth the cash to supplement an 8k bare bulb very setup?

It's so cheap and seems like a steal. 400w or600w ... Must mean equivalent.

Thoughts? The room has tons of space for more light but the 3ton minisplit is kinda maxxed out so considering LEDs to supplement any way...

Junk

Junk

I've found I get cooler temps with a cooled HID over an LED.

LED's, many anyway, dump all that heat into the grow space. No option for venting.

That's why I went back to HID actually. The supposedly "cool" leds, were not, at least in a sealed space like I run. On the days I swapped, it was the same ambient temp, but room temps went down 4 degrees, & that was swapping out a 600w actual draw led to a 1k hps.

In short, I wouldn't spend the money for it. If anything, if you aren't already cooling the light, I would start there, & add more hid.

If you want performance from an LED, I've seen three I would recommend. The Supergrow, (good for two plants) the Spectrum King, & the Next light I saw the other day...that thing is a beast. But all are big $$. The Apache & Area 51 lights usually get the thumbs up as well, but I have personally never seen them in action to say.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Awesome feedback bro.

My hps are in bare bulb vertical hang so they aren't air cooled. The ballasts are remote though so that helps temps.

I'm trying to avoid the whole second minisplit thing if I can, and $200 for an LED seemed like a good price even if it only lasted one run.

But heat is more a limiting factor than anything else.

Saerimmner

Saerimmner

Hey all - found a cheap used LED for only a $200 used. Works perfectly.

Looks like a Platinum unit but the case is green not Chrome.

Any idea what unit this could be? Worth the cash to supplement an 8k bare bulb very setup?

It's so cheap and seems like a steal. 400w or600w ... Must mean equivalent.

Thoughts? The room has tons of space for more light but the 3ton minisplit is kinda maxxed out so considering LEDs to supplement any way...

there are green ones on amazon from galaxyhydro i think

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

GalaxyHydro and Mars are both decent units from what I've read?
Sounds like a safe gamble to add a bit more light at least this round for a limited amount of heat?

The nanolux or Gavita or ePapillions would all work well but they run boiling hot from all I've read.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I would think Mars is best bang for the buck i mean 189 bucks for 400 watt LED unit i spent that at the bar in one night and only have a hangover in morning to prove it lol
hmmm so they're under $190 new... That means $200 for used from a pawn shop is a bad deal.
Very helpful info.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I'm .... terrible .. with soldering. Killer at plumbing though. Go figure.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I do water cooler PC custom builds though, go figure. I dunno. I definitely see the $200 light at the pawn shop as not a deal.

The question may then be; if I'm not confident with DIY COB LEDs, what units would me best, after next round.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

I'm .... terrible .. with soldering. Killer at plumbing though. Go figure.
No need for any heavy soldering when you use cob holders and I used to sell sawzall blades that don't bend or break. Imagine 2 sawzall blades right next to each other but fitting in your saw. The standard blade is .035 thick what I sold were .062 thick

Sinner D

Sinner D

Is there any point to comparing the lumen output from a 4' x 8 bulb T5 (being around 40,000) to say that of the Mars 400 Watt LED unit which only has an output of less than 9,000 lumens. It's claimed that the plants can absorb over 90% of the light LED's put out, while other lighting choices come in at 10%. So far, the New King 900W, listed online, is under $250.00 and says it has a output of 38200-49000 lumens. It's a lot to research for the novice.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Is there any point to comparing the lumen output from a 4' x 8 bulb T5 (being around 40,000) to say that of the Mars 400 Watt LED unit which only has an output of less than 9,000 lumens. It's claimed that the plants can absorb over 90% of the light LED's put out, while other lighting choices come in at 10%. So far, the New King 900W, listed online, is under $250.00 and says it has a output of 38200-49000 lumens. It's a lot to research for the novice.
Don't bother with them generic shit panels bro,ya heading for disappointment else.

Sinner D

Sinner D

Yeah. I'm thinking it's best to stick with the T5 for my 4'x4' tent(s). Probably going to look into a better brand name then I previously ordered. Thx for the feedback keiksweat.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

Another thing you may want to consider is how the company is going to treat you if you should ever need to use your warranty. Please take it from me, Mars hydro has horrible customer service. They talk a good one but when push comes to shove they don't step up. Been fighting for 6 weeks to get a replacement and still no replacement yet. Just something to consider

As far as LED goes though , if you not gonna use cree diodes I wouldn't bother with that Chinese crap, your better off using T5 or HID if your not gonna use a quality LED

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Another thing you may want to consider is how the company is going to treat you if you should ever need to use your warranty. Please take it from me, Mars hydro has horrible customer service. They talk a good one but when push comes to shove they don't step up. Been fighting for 6 weeks to get a replacement and still no replacement yet. Just something to consider

As far as LED goes though , if you not gonna use cree diodes I wouldn't bother with that Chinese crap, your better off using T5 or HID if your not gonna use a quality LED

I couldn't agree more about the Mars lights. Pure crap and sold mostly through direct sales, so every penny you spend goes to the Chinese. I quit an admin position on another forum after I was out voted on bring Mars on as a vendor. They are selling their units at a loss to gain market share. I fully expect them to soon come out with a new line at a much higher price point. And yes, their customer service is terrible. They have also reduced their warranty from 3 years to 1.

I've been using LEDs for over 5 years now. I still have my first unit, a 300 watt GLH, and it's still going strong. I then purchased 3 Blackstar 280 watters. Two were 2011 models and one a 2012 model. Both of the 2011 models failed after 2 years. Never again. They are pretty much on par with what Mars is selling. I now use FERO Bulldogs over one UC RDWC system and two Kind XL1000s over a second UC. I'm also side lighting the FEROs with 432 watts of T5 HOs. This is giving the best results and I will likely add the same to the Kinds.

Top Bottom