Cheap Led Worth It?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

I still have a lot to learn but come tax time, I'm getting that 750.

@NamekianKush You still have plenty of time to read and compare specs on different models and brands. For the $1200 bucks you want to spend at tax time, I would certainly continue looking. After checking out the K5 750 you described, I went spec hunting on it. A couple alarms went off: 1-it took me 4 different websites before I could find how many spectrums are covered by their "full spectrum" light, so they are not exactly bragging about what they cover. 2-they do not state anywhere what kind of chips they use (mega important to me.) 3-does not state where it is made, so China is my guess. 4-they do brag up about their remote control and some other fluff not pertaining to their actual quality vs. a USA brand.

My personal history has moved up when budget allows. I started with a couple cheapo UFO lights. Then moved up to one of the many Mars knockoffs available on ebay land. In my tents now (2 smalls) I run Cali lightworks, and in the other I have 2 small Advancedled units, 1 Diamond Series and the other is XTE series. Kinda experimenting small to see what I like for whenever I expand in the future. I am currently very impressed with the Advancedled!! American made with CREE, Bridgelux and Osram chips. 3 year warranty.

When I upsize to my next tent I will choose between Advancedled or Illumitex as also indicated by @indicabush. One other option I am kicking around playing with would be the new CMH or LEC 315's.

Warning! If you go to ebay etc, and type in Advanced Led, you will see a buttload of cheap knockoffs (like anything starting with "P") like P650, P450. Not the same animal at all!

Advancedled website: http://advancedledlights.com/

Thanks for allowing me to chime in, I just think you can get a much better bang for your buck than Kind. We all have our opinions.

@indicabush Nice to know you are happy with your older units! Pretty good to know you use them. These newer units just look and spec out Awesome!

Peace and Good Vibes!

Derf

indicabush

indicabush

@Derf Werfler ....I have been watching and researching LEC technology and I have to say they seem pretty impressive. They are a new iteration of the classic HID lamps. They're able to burn more efficiently at higher temperatures meaning quality of performance, quality of light, colour and spread stability. My understanding is LEC ballast's are more efficient, so may be just right for tents and closets because of lower heat output.

Just my 2 cents

Yes my F1 illumitex's are still going strong (3 years old now).

keiksweat

keiksweat

@Derf Werfler ....I have been watching and researching LEC technology and I have to say they seem pretty impressive. They are a new iteration of the classic HID lamps. They're able to burn more efficiently at higher temperatures meaning quality of performance, quality of light, colour and spread stability. My understanding is LEC ballast's are more efficient, so may be just right for tents and closets because of lower heat output.

Just my 2 cents

Yes my F1 illumitex's are still going strong (3 years old now).
Wicked veg lights,don't know about bloom.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

@NamekianKush ,Since you like to read ill post this up for you,its an LED comparison site i came across and bookmarked.I dont know jack about LED myself really so i cant vouch for accuracy.For my money i personally would be looking at a 315CMH but i do think LED tech is cool,just expensive.I remember flatscreens were like $20,000 when they first came out,now there a few hundred,hopefully LEDs will get more affordable too.
http://www.compareledgrowlights.com/
Also got this ad in my email from GH, nice little grow tent/LED packages for a fair price
http://growershouse.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=phytomax

Last edited:
Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

@NamekianKush ,Since you like to read ill post this up for you,its an LED comparison site i came across and bookmarked.I dont know jack about LED myself really so i cant vouch for accuracy.For my money i personally would be looking at a 315CMH but i do think LED tech is cool,just expensive.I remember flatscreens were like $20,000 when they first came out,now there a few hundred,hopefully LEDs will get more affordable too.
http://www.compareledgrowlights.com/

@fishwhistle Very interesting site, thank you for sharing! I just spent the last 45 minutes cruising that site, and will go back for more when I have time. As stated there, until Consumer Reports starts comparing LED for weed, we are a bit left out in the wind for accuracy and non-prejudiced comparisons. We may never know what motivation or altruism is involved in any study. Still, a very interesting read to absorb and digest, thanks again for the share! I am surprised about how low my two favorites rate, still, was this a truly unbiased and not a Black Dog funded comparison? Only our hairdressers may know for sure. :)

@indicabush Yep, those 315's look sooo interesting, I know I am going to have to try one in my future! Nice they were showing SunSystem, from here in the NW. Sure makes you want to jump in for a test drive. I have also been reading about the Summit Lighting Endomaxx 315. Found out from the boss Brad that West Coast Hydro in Boring is their only Oregon outlet. Probably just tit for tat in comparisons until I check the specs and reviews more closely, and at least SunSystem is local homegrown. Woof, have you seen their "Beastmaster?" Anyway, always some good reading and info here at the farm! Good Vibes and Peace to all growers on this lovely but war torn planet!

Derf

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

@fishwhistle Very interesting site, thank you for sharing! I just spent the last 45 minutes cruising that site, and will go back for more when I have time. As stated there, until Consumer Reports starts comparing LED for weed, we are a bit left out in the wind for accuracy and non-prejudiced comparisons. We may never know what motivation or altruism is involved in any study. Still, a very interesting read to absorb and digest, thanks again for the share! I am surprised about how low my two favorites rate, still, was this a truly unbiased and not a Black Dog funded comparison? Only our hairdressers may know for sure. :)
Derf
Anythings possible!

NamekianKush

NamekianKush

@Derf Werfler , Kind is made in the USA just to let you know.

I want to see a grow journal from someone on here who actually owns a Kind k5 1000 or 750, that'll be the equivalent of hands on for me. That Magnum plus looks nice but I need to see a grow journal to put my mind at ease.

keiksweat

keiksweat

@Derf Werfler , Kind is made in the USA just to let you know.

I want to see a grow journal from someone on here who actually owns a Kind k5 1000 or 750, that'll be the equivalent of hands on for me. That Magnum plus looks nice but I need to see a grow journal to put my mind at ease.
Kind are shite for the money.mate.

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

No Worries, I was just trying to promote made in the USA. :) I hope whatever you choose, you have many worthy and successful grow experiences! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Derf

keiksweat

keiksweat

@keiksweat , have you ever owned a kind led or is that your opinion of them?
Mate,I've done a lot of research and watching growers,from box standard Chinese crap to hans panels to area 51 and apache tech.those last 3 are the best there is to offer on ready made panels.and you'll always notice either Cree chips or osram.Philips rebel are good,but don't get used much as price.and bridgelux vero are supposed to be the bomb.I think area 51 are using them.other than these mate..make your own like supra,and realstyles teach on here.im not a led hater.ive got some china stuff what I use for side lighting.if I had the money for kind led.trust me id spend elsewhere.ask them for a printout on there chips n drivers ,what company,binn they use.and then hear the silence off them.just my friendly advice bro.money much better spent else where honestly.

Cottenmouth

Cottenmouth

Hey all - found a cheap used LED for only a $200 used. Works perfectly.

Looks like a Platinum unit but the case is green not Chrome.

Any idea what unit this could be? Worth the cash to supplement an 8k bare bulb very setup?

It's so cheap and seems like a steal. 400w or600w ... Must mean equivalent.

Thoughts? The room has tons of space for more light but the 3ton minisplit is kinda maxxed out so considering LEDs to supplement any way...
Mars reflector series are green and usually have 2 switches to select between veg and bloom. A friend of mine uses them exclusively and gets amazing yields. I was impressed enough to order 3 96 epistar units myself . I can run all 3 for the cost of 1 400w h.I.d. the only hang up I have is the foot print. These lights are geared more towards tents and not rooms as the light dissipates quickly. So of you want deeper penetration look into the mars 2 series.

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

All previous 25m responses are deleted. Just Kinda Wacky here. Merry CHRISTmas, Murphmass, Festivus, and GodBlessedallofus.Com, and may GOD Bless YOU All !!!!!! :D

Derf

GrenMtnGreen

GrenMtnGreen

Ive rocked Apollo 300 and 400 watt in a 3x3 for my last three grows with good results, Just picked up 2 mars hydro 600watts and a kessil H150 magenta for a 2x4 tent. each light was under $200

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

@NamekianKush Did you get your light purchased, and if so, what did you end up with? Peace, good vibes and growing to you!!

Derf

Top Bottom