Cheap, Nice Greenhouse

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Cheap to build and easy to construct. (note: I would avoid using railroad ties)

I'd make the side panels mounted on hinges so you could drop them down to get better access into the beds. They'd be easy to light dep as well.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/raised-garden-bed-zm0z12fmzhun.aspx#axzz36kCXj2jJ

Men fm12 lore 5

Last edited:
Frostynugman

Frostynugman

SierraFarmer

SierraFarmer

Cheap to build and easy to construct. (note: I would avoid using railroad ties)

I'd make the side panels mounted on hinges so you could drop them down to get better access into the beds. They'd be easy to light dep as well.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/raised-garden-bed-zm0z12fmzhun.aspx#axzz36kCXj2jJ

View attachment 420675
That's an awesome setup. I wish I would have done something similar so light dep would be easier for me. Looking good best of luck to ya.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Why? Doesn't make any good logical sense to me.
The structure has to be fully enclosed and locking, soft poly is penetrable not by break but by push. quote lakewood PD when i say "a little kid could get in there and eat all your weed and die"

I just have veggies in there now, it was a good learning experience for me though

@kolah is way better id prolly do that next time just a bunch of small ones would be really cool! since the are affordable to build.

K

kolah

yep, that is CO MJ law...good to know, Frosty.

I think they are much better than hoop houses.

and yeah I think next year I will build a few of these...and underground is a also a great idea. But up here in the hills I'll use 11 ml greenhouse plastic. ;)

Stupidass effing pig "kid will get in there, eat all your weed and die."

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

yep, that is CO MJ law...good to know, Frosty.

I think they are much better than hoop houses.

and yeah I think next year I will build a few of these...and underground is a also a great idea. But up here in the hills I'll use 11 ml greenhouse plastic. ;)

Stupidass effing pig "kid will get in there, eat all your weed and die."
I agree. The hills have a bit more privacy, headed up there ASAP.
If you build an underground that would be epic. Do you build it into a south facing hill?
I was using 8 mm poly.

K

kolah

I agree. The hills have a bit more privacy, headed up there ASAP.
If you build an underground that would be epic. Do you build it into a south facing hill?
I was using 8 mm poly.

That would be a good idea and if there was no hilly land area I'd probably face the long end south and build a bit of a berm on the north side for water run-off...esp if I put the beds underground. But if I built it with raised beds I wouldn't worry about run-off issues. Just avoid building it in a low spot.

My GH plastic is 7 or 8 ml and still holding strong.. even from the winds and hail. After I built mine ( 5 years ago) I found that they make an 11 and 12 ml. For my next go-round I'll invest in the 11 or 12 stuff.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

That would be a good idea and if there was no hilly land area I'd probably face the long end south and build a bit of a berm on the north side for water run-off...esp if I put the beds underground. But if I built it with raised beds I wouldn't worry about run-off issues. Just avoid building it in a low spot.

My GH plastic is 7 or 8 ml and still holding strong.. even from the winds and hail. After I built mine ( 5 years ago) I found that they make an 11 and 12 ml. For my next go-round I'll invest in the 11 or 12 stuff.
Very Cool To Know My Hoop Is still holding has a rip in the top from the pvc brace, Like I said it was a good learning experience in what NOT to do lol. didnt know about the runoff thing, really good to know.

What do you think about the stuff with the mesh wire going through it I think its called pillow pad?

Abel

Abel

The structure has to be fully enclosed and locking, soft poly is penetrable not by break but by push. quote lakewood PD when i say "a little kid could get in there and eat all your weed and die"

I just have veggies in there now, it was a good learning experience for me though

@kolah is way better id prolly do that next time just a bunch of small ones would be really cool! since the are affordable to build.

Ohhhh, ok..protecting people from themselves. THAT classic piece of political logic. :pompus:

K

kolah

I think two old windows would suffice for a great hinged roofing section. I really like this design as it would not only hold in heat at night but also the upper roofing would make a nice shield for hail and heavy rains. And keeping them closed in Spring would warm the soil beds up in no time....and even safe and cozy enough to put seedlings in.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

I think two old windows would suffice for a great hinged roofing section. I really like this design as it would not only hold in heat at night but also the upper roofing would make a nice shield for hail and heavy rains. And keeping them closed in Spring would warm the soil beds up in no time....and even safe and cozy enough to put seedlings in.
They also Sell some hard Plastic Fake greenhouse siding thats either tinted or clear that would work well too. and they are like 12 bucks a 4 ft section!

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

wait until it rains and go outside with your cordless drill and drill into those railroad ties an tell me you want to eat or smoke any thing that grows in that

Top Bottom