Chikamasa Trimming Scissors Review

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
So I got 2 pairs of Chikamasa scissors. The b-500srf and the t-500s. The b-500 are the bansai style with a curved blade and the t-500 is the spring loaded style. The b-500 has a fluorine coating that is supposed to be sap resistant.

After an evening trim session with some incredibly resinous Scott's OG I really like these. I've always been pretty happy with the Fiskars micro tips. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Chikamasa's were noticeably sharper and more durable. Trimming still sucked but I did find it easier and more efficient. My neighbor also noticed a significant difference. He felt like he was doing a better job trimming because of the scissors.

The 'sap resistant' fluorine coating was so so. I was able to trim for 3.5 hours without throughly cleaning the scissors, which is pretty good, but they did get somewhat gummed up and had to be cleaned by pulling off gunk with your fingers. This didn't really clean the scissor but did make it usable again. I soaked them in olive oil over night and wiped them down and they are ready to trim another day.

They do come with a lubricant on the blade and hinge, I'd recommend cleaning this off prior to use.

They are definitely pricier , but not crazy expensive, about double the cost of the Fiskars micro tips $9 vs $18. You can get the chilkamasas cheaper if you order from a Japanese retailer but then you have to wait for shipping from Japan, or the UK perhaps.

Photo below is the t-500s, Fiskars micro-tip, and the b-500srf.

I hope everyone is enjoying a bountiful fall harvest.

outwest

Attachment

Junk

Junk

So I got 2 pairs of Chikamasa scissors. The b-500srf and the t-500s. The b-500 are the bansai style with a curved blade and the t-500 is the spring loaded style. The b-500 has a fluorine coating that is supposed to be sap resistant.

After an evening trim session with some incredibly resinous Scott's OG I really like these. I've always been pretty happy with the Fiskars micro tips. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Chikamasa's were noticeably sharper and more durable. Trimming still sucked but I did find it easier and more efficient. My neighbor also noticed a significant difference. He felt like he was doing a better job trimming because of the scissors.

The 'sap resistant' fluorine coating was so so. I was able to trim for 3.5 hours without throughly cleaning the scissors, which is pretty good, but they did get somewhat gummed up and had to be cleaned by pulling off gunk with your fingers. This didn't really clean the scissor but did make it usable again. I soaked them in olive oil over night and wiped them down and they are ready to trim another day.

They do come with a lubricant on the blade and hinge, I'd recommend cleaning this off prior to use.

They are definitely pricier , but not crazy expensive, about double the cost of the Fiskars micro tips $9 vs $18. You can get the chilkamasas cheaper if you order from a Japanese retailer but then you have to wait for shipping from Japan, or the UK perhaps.

Photo below is the t-500s, Fiskars micro-tip, and the b-500srf.

I hope everyone is enjoying a bountiful fall harvest.

outwest

View attachment 544765

Do you like the non spring loaded? I don't have any but considering getting a pair.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Do you like the non spring loaded? I don't have any but considering getting a pair.

I used the non-springloaded version (b-500) last night, and the neighbor used the t-500. Tonight I'll try the t-500. I did do a little tester nug with it and was very impressed.

outwest

Junk

Junk

It seems like if I was going to have springless scissors I would want the handles to be fight on my fingers, & those look a little big.

Please do let me know how you like them...I'm interested.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
It seems like if I was going to have springless scissors I would want the handles to be fight on my fingers, & those look a little big.

I thought the same thing. My hands are kinda small. Had no problem using them.

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you tried ARS shears? That's the type and style (curved blade) that I've come to prefer for hand trimming. Absolutely no strain on my hands like the springs cause.

IMO you don't want the handles to be tight on your fingers, that will cause strain. The big handles are really a lot easier because you don't have to actually hold them, they'll rest in your hand very easily. :)

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I tried to get way to grow to order some last year, dude thought they were too expensive. They are superior to fiskars indeed, I'd be pleased if I could find a local distributor

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I've wanted to get those for my people for a while -- is there a supplier in CO yet? I know there was a cute little asian girl out here last harvest season selling them direct to growers, still haven't seen them in a store yet.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Have you tried ARS shears? That's the type and style (curved blade) that I've come to prefer for hand trimming. Absolutely no strain on my hands like the springs cause.

IMO you don't want the handles to be tight on your fingers, that will cause strain. The big handles are really a lot easier because you don't have to actually hold them, they'll rest in your hand very easily. :)

Yes, the ARS, Chikamasa, and Okatsune are all very comparable. ARS and Chikamasa can be purchased state side so it makes shipping a lot faster.

After spending a night with each style, I prefer the b-500srf (the bansai style with no spring). Both are incredible and worth the added cost coming from fiskars, but the b-500 was lighter, easier to hold, and ultimately more comfortable during 3-4 hour trim sessions.

I tried to get way to grow to order some last year, dude thought they were too expensive. They are superior to fiskars indeed, I'd be pleased if I could find a local distributor

Check out they are not local to you, but they are the US distributor and offer free shipping on the Chikamasas right now. FYI - The 'sap resistant' fluorine coating was no match for the Scott's OG. :fire:

outwest

R

rascali

Yes, the ARS, Chikamasa, and Okatsune are all very comparable. ARS and Chikamasa can be purchased state side so it makes shipping a lot faster.

After spending a night with each style, I prefer the b-500srf (the bansai style with no spring). Both are incredible and worth the added cost coming from fiskars, but the b-500 was lighter, easier to hold, and ultimately more comfortable during 3-4 hour trim sessions.
outwest

All of that type have almost friction-less pivots and are almost stress free. Nothing beats them for wet trimming, but i just don't find the tips pointy enough for an exquisite final dry trim. That is still the time that Fiskars can't be beat, as long as both tips hold out! It seems like 1/3 of the pairs come right from the factory already missing one fine point…

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The price of the Chikamasa snips is pretty darn close to the ARS shears, so it wouldn't hurt to get a couple pair and give 'em a try. :) Thanks for the review!​

Top Bottom