Chlorophyll my observations and experiences

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
amekins

amekins

I also noticed that butter was much greener than coconut oil after separation in the fridge. We do it the way you described.

but isnt the boiling water needed as a carrier?
I believe so. I’ve actually never made butter, only coconut oil but never with water. But I have thought about altering the process next time to use water in the crockpot with the oil and let it solidify and see if my oil is lighter.

amekins

amekins

Sorry man, just saw this.

Yes, chlorophyll is water soluble, and less so in oil.

http://www.foodandnutritionjournal....erature-in-color-changes-of-green-vegetables/

Temperature control is one of the major treatments for increasing the time of their commercial life and maintain their quality. Cantwell et al (1998), reports that temperature is the only factor that determines the post-harvest quality of leafy green vegetables. It should be noted that the higher the storage temperature the faster the deterioration and the shorter the duration of the commercial life and this is because temperature affects the metabolism and respiration rate.

There's more there to dive into, but it seems like exposure to warm, dry temperatures before cooking will reduce the amount of chlorophyll that comes out. Maybe putting the buds in a dehydrator for a while or in front of a sunny window before cooking would also lessen the amount that gets picked up?
Decarbing?

amekins

amekins

I used a magic butter machine and I've never used water.

But I get green as butter when done I also simmer in my magic machine for 8 hours so time may have an effect on my colour.

I usually like to concentrate my bud into who and then use that instead of butter. I find dosing easier I just decarb the bro as I use it then melt it into a cup of whatever butter the recipe calls for of melted butter and lichen.

Also aquaman idk if ya tried extracting with milk. Seriously it works great then just use the milk in your coffee or mix it for chocolate milk.

It's easy to use in home made caramels that'd my favorite.
But to be clear, less cannabinoids will be extracted because of the
lower fat content of milk. Heavy cream is great to infuse and use for caramels/fruit chews along with infused coconut oil or butter.

amekins

amekins

100% agree... the reason I do 4-6hrs is because I stay at 220f since some cannabinoids start to vaporize at around 135. I think thc is about 285? But I want to keep as many cannabinoids as possible. I believe at this temp 4 hrs is ideal and after 6 you can see degradation. But I'm am really a noob at all this. Only recently did I start actually looking at the process. Before was just decarb in oven for 45 min at 225f then bake with it.
I actually do 240 F for an hour (in a mason jar) or use my Ardent Nova.

amekins

amekins

Last edited:
BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) where you soaked your ground weed in room temp water. The water leaches the chlorophyll out, then you dry and make your oil from that.

Haven't tried it yet because I still have a quart of oil to use up first. lol

amekins

amekins

I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) where you soaked your ground weed in room temp water. The water leaches the chlorophyll out, then you dry and make your oil from that.

Haven't tried it yet because I still have a quart of oil to use up first. lol
Yeah, supposedly water cure by having the bud soak in cool water you change at least once daily for a week before drying and infusing oil with. But I’ve never had enough material on hand to risk fucking it up.

amekins

amekins

Wow I dod not think of that but because of the fat content it makes absolute sense... infused cream i could use in lots of things.
Caramels/fruit chews

120 g infused heavy cream
60 g infused butter or coconut oil
60 g light corn syrup
200 g sugar (use part or all brown sugar for more caramel/butterscotch type flavor, all white sugar for fruit chews)
Pinch of salt

Combine, heat to 245-260 F (lower temp yields a softer chew, higher temp a firmer chew). Add flavorings and pour into pan or molds and let firm up. For coffee caramels, I use 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp espresso powder for flavoring. For caramels, I use just vanilla extract and sprinkle a little sea salt. Fruit chews, I use 1 tsp Lorann Super Strength Oils plus citric acid/tart sour flavor enhancer.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I disagree. I think some become concentrated.
Some solvents can, but in such tiny amounts.. I dont know, i smoke cigarettes and get a good puff of burnt butane about 12 times a day so i gues im not as concerned about traces of solvent. Especially Isopropyl alcohol. Weve had our extractions tested for trace solvents and its always come back clean. No iso left.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
This shit is old and nasty looking... But still shows the difference in color.

IMG 20201120 090714947
IMG 20201120 090704131

amekins

amekins

Caramels/fruit chews

120 g infused heavy cream
60 g infused butter or coconut oil
60 g light corn syrup
200 g sugar (use part or all brown sugar for more caramel/butterscotch type flavor, all white sugar for fruit chews)
Pinch of salt

Combine, heat to 245-260 F (lower temp yields a softer chew, higher temp a firmer chew). Add flavorings and pour into pan or molds and let firm up. For coffee caramels, I use 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp espresso powder for flavoring. For caramels, I use just vanilla extract and sprinkle a little sea salt. Fruit chews, I use 1 tsp Lorann Super Strength Oils plus citric acid/tart sour flavor enhancer.
Also, 1-2 Tbsp of cocoa powered with vanilla extract will make a chocolate chew. The amount of cocoa contributes to a more crumbly texture in the finished chew, a little like a tootsie roll but not quite.

stltoed

stltoed

Aqua, have you ever tried water curing? It may remove some of the compounds you're not interested in. I tried it once and found it was very smooth, as smoke. I never tried an extraction with it. I gave some larger bud a dunk for a few days and it did work. It wasn't too kind to terpenes, but it sounds like you aren't too worried about that in your butter.

My method of extraction is usually as a tincture anyway. Not into butter so much.
20200323 154334

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I used a magic butter machine and I've never used water.

But I get green as butter when done I also simmer in my magic machine for 8 hours so time may have an effect on my colour.

I usually like to concentrate my bud into who and then use that instead of butter. I find dosing easier I just decarb the bro as I use it then melt it into a cup of whatever butter the recipe calls for of melted butter and lichen.

Also aquaman idk if ya tried extracting with milk. Seriously it works great then just use the milk in your coffee or mix it for chocolate milk.

It's easy to use in home made caramels that'd my favorite.
Can go into a little more detail on the milk method please and thank you. I don't like the green butter nasty tasting stuff. I don't like hash or smoking oils or concentrates. I like every edibles dispensarys offer lol. I just dont know what to do with my trim. Milk sounds better.

My issue was straining it without leaving it all in the cheese cloth.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Short and sweet... I have found that chlorophyll levels in making butter and oils is extremely affected by water.

I haven't looked much into but figured hey maybe some folks are willing to share experiences and info on this.

To me it appears that chlorophyll is much more soluble in water and alcohol than oil. Using coconut oil its hardly present at all and I wonder about other oils also.

When I used to make my butter I would add water simmer for like 4-6hrs then strain and put it in the fridge to seperate and harden. Always was green and lots of chlorophyll. Since using coconut oil I dont see this nearly as much and the flavor seems much better.

Which makes me wonder if I did not add water to my simmering butter would it make a difference. Also wonder how much water is in butter and if I turned my butter into ghee would it further reduce the amount of chlorophyll absorbed?

Just tossing some thoughts, questions and experiences out there as I'm moving towards making a lot more edibles these days.

Thoughts, experiences and info?
I make my butter in a LĒVO. I have found that after the infusion cycle is completed I have to let the butter cool and settle before pouring to my cube tray. Almost a 1/4 cup of water in a 1 cup of butter infusion settles to bottom of the measuring cup. When I first started making butter I would immediately pour in the cube tray and stick in the refrig. After it hardened I always had half water in the bottom of the cubes. Very irritating. So I would agree with your observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom