Chlorophyll my observations and experiences

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Short and sweet... I have found that chlorophyll levels in making butter and oils is extremely affected by water.

I haven't looked much into but figured hey maybe some folks are willing to share experiences and info on this.

To me it appears that chlorophyll is much more soluble in water and alcohol than oil. Using coconut oil its hardly present at all and I wonder about other oils also.

When I used to make my butter I would add water simmer for like 4-6hrs then strain and put it in the fridge to seperate and harden. Always was green and lots of chlorophyll. Since using coconut oil I dont see this nearly as much and the flavor seems much better.

Which makes me wonder if I did not add water to my simmering butter would it make a difference. Also wonder how much water is in butter and if I turned my butter into ghee would it further reduce the amount of chlorophyll absorbed?

Just tossing some thoughts, questions and experiences out there as I'm moving towards making a lot more edibles these days.

Thoughts, experiences and info?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I also noticed that butter was much greener than coconut oil after separation in the fridge. We do it the way you described.

but isnt the boiling water needed as a carrier?
Nope only lipids. If I'm understanding the question. I add water only to ensure the weed was in better contact. Since doing coconut oil and no water added there is almost 0 green tinge. More just a darkening but that maybe from the long exposure to 120f tenps?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nope only lipids. If I'm understanding the question. I add water only to ensure the weed was in better contact. Since doing coconut oil and no water added there is almost 0 green tinge. More just a darkening but that maybe from the long exposure to 120f tenps?

No i was confused. We use water with coconut oil. It still comes out lighter green compared to the butter we did.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

When I have made butter, I never added any extra water in it. I would get it melted, toss in the weed and then mix, simmer, strain and put in the fridge. Mine always had that skim layer at the bottom as well, where some water and moisture would be trapped. That always was the "greenest" part of the batch. I tried cocnut oil with some cbd Harlequin, but it had the green color as well.

I would love to find a way to make it less green tasting, so your water and oil method is interesting. I've stopped making butter because of the green taste. Edibles at the store are so on point with the tastes, that once you go that route, eating something that tastes green is really hard to do.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When I have made butter, I never added any extra water in it. I would get it melted, toss in the weed and then mix, simmer, strain and put in the fridge. Mine always had that skim layer at the bottom as well, where some water and moisture would be trapped. That always was the "greenest" part of the batch. I tried cocnut oil with some cbd Harlequin, but it had the green color as well.

I would love to find a way to make it less green tasting, so your water and oil method is interesting. I've stopped making butter because of the green taste. Edibles at the store are so on point with the tastes, that once you go that route, eating something that tastes green is really hard to do.
Yeah I was just thinking removing all moisture from material and turning butter to ghee before the simmering or adding material.

I know in alcohol you can put it in the sun for a few hours and all the chlorophyll will be oxidized and it will then be clear

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thats why we use well cured close trim and small buds to make the coconut oil. We always had excess so i just jarred it along side the jars of bigger buds. It is at least a few months old before transfer. Comes out lighter green and tastes much less bitter. Can really enhance the flavor of baked goods and food.

When i was brand new my plants were quite yellow at harvest and we made butter that came out tan. I remember everyone loving the cupcakes we made with it. That product was with fresh material. But yellowed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

it gets separated in a container in the fridge overnight and then poured out.

What am i missing? I have not tried it without the water. Thats where i got confused.
Yeah I haven't done butter without. I have a bunch of coconut oil already done but kinda wondering if anyone had tried butter without water to see the difference... I really feel it would make a difference but was looking to confirm.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I’d say skip the water. You’re not gaining anything by using it, just put directly into carrier oil, be it butter or whatever. I make quite a bit of things out of my harvests. The one thing that you do add when using water is drastically reducing shelf life. As long as your consuming fast enough it’s not a big deal. When I make balm, sometimes I use it without any essential oils and use fresh bud to get a nice scent and it comes out a nice subtle green. The water content of fresh bud is what helps bring that out. But it doesn’t have the shelf life when I do it the other way and get a brownish hue.

953B5DB2 FC17 449B B7B4 9C87DE85A748
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’d say skip the water. You’re not gaining anything by using it, just put directly into carrier oil, be it butter or whatever. I make quite a bit of things out of my harvests. The one thing that you do add when using water is drastically reducing shelf life. As long as your consuming fast enough it’s not a big deal. When I make balm, sometimes I use it without any essential oils and use fresh bud to get a nice scent and it comes out a nice subtle green. The water content of fresh bud is what helps bring that out. But it doesn’t have the shelf life when I do it the other way and get a brownish hue.
I always remove the water after... they seperate in the fridge. But yeah I'm cutting out water from anything from now on.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

To me it just seems your adding an extra step that you don’t have to. Do it without and I bet you’d prefer it that way.
I don’t do long cooking methods either, you can get a degradation of content as well. I follow temp/time chart.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I used a magic butter machine and I've never used water.

But I get green as butter when done I also simmer in my magic machine for 8 hours so time may have an effect on my colour.

I usually like to concentrate my bud into who and then use that instead of butter. I find dosing easier I just decarb the bro as I use it then melt it into a cup of whatever butter the recipe calls for of melted butter and lichen.

Also aquaman idk if ya tried extracting with milk. Seriously it works great then just use the milk in your coffee or mix it for chocolate milk.

It's easy to use in home made caramels that'd my favorite.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

To me it just seems your adding an extra step that you don’t have to. Do it without and I bet you’d prefer it that way.
I don’t do long cooking methods either, you can get a degradation of content as well. I follow temp/time chart.
100% agree... the reason I do 4-6hrs is because I stay at 220f since some cannabinoids start to vaporize at around 135. I think thc is about 285? But I want to keep as many cannabinoids as possible. I believe at this temp 4 hrs is ideal and after 6 you can see degradation. But I'm am really a noob at all this. Only recently did I start actually looking at the process. Before was just decarb in oven for 45 min at 225f then bake with it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I used a magic butter machine and I've never used water.

But I get green as butter when done I also simmer in my magic machine for 8 hours so time may have an effect on my colour.

I usually like to concentrate my bud into who and then use that instead of butter. I find dosing easier I just decarb the bro as I use it then melt it into a cup of whatever butter the recipe calls for of melted butter and lichen.

Also aquaman idk if ya tried extracting with milk. Seriously it works great then just use the milk in your coffee or mix it for chocolate milk.

It's easy to use in home made caramels that'd my favorite.
Wow I dod not think of that but because of the fat content it makes absolute sense... infused cream i could use in lots of things.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Im usually at 200 for 8 hours and it comes out as mud although I do it also to decarb. Maybe if you declared in the oven or a novel decsrb thing you may lessen your steep times.

I don't bake enough to keep butter around it always gets thrown out before I use it bho I can use in anything bbq sauce salad dressing as a steak rub lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom