choosing and AC for a 10 lighter, i thought mini splits were expensive but theyre not

• Thread starter CannaColorado
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mcattak

CT,

When designing a room within a room and the compressor inside how much air exchange do you try to achieve say for each ton? What is the minimum volume you can go in the room until there is not enough "buffer environment" in the room? There must be a point where the remaining volume in the space is too small dissipate the heat from the compressor and air exchange is not enough right?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

i use about 1000cfm per...Might be a little excessive but I am here in so-cal..And it gets hot in the summer...

D

DrGoodMeds

Lets say I plop a 5 ton inside a small office (10x10x10). Do you think I could squeak by with 3K CFM when the hottest days hit about 90?

M

mcattak

Lets say I plop a 5 ton inside a small office (10x10x10). Do you think I could squeak by with 3K CFM when the hottest days hit about 90?

That's 600 cfm per ton...Its in the range...If that's how it needs to be than do it...I do have 30 ft cielings..

I always try to have a back up plan in case my ideas don't work...

mc

C

canaguy27

That's what made me decide plug n play is the way to go. No drawings, no permits, no problem!

What system are you looking at? My HVAC guy wants $6500 for a minisplit tri zone (two in main one in veg). The price includes the install ($1400).

If these systems are plug and play, is an HVAC guy needed? I can get better pricing than him by buying online.

edit: this is for a 11 light, 10 plant with 8 lights in cooltubes. 36k btu system

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter

You would be exchanging the total volume in that room 3 times per minute. Seems like that would be enough.

C

CannaColorado

I always try to have a back up plan in case my ideas don't work...

mc

just learned that skill on this last grow

What system are you looking at? My HVAC guy wants $6500 for a minisplit tri zone (two in main one in veg). The price includes the install ($1400).

If these systems are plug and play, is an HVAC guy needed? I can get better pricing than him by buying online.

edit: this is for a 11 light, 10 plant with 8 lights in cooltubes. 36k btu system

what size a room are you going to be rockin that in my friend? Also, did he price you that much for a 36k btu system?

M

mrdizzle

if the HVAC guy is trying to sell you the mini split too then your going to pay a couple grand more than if you bought it on-line and had someone install it

they make water chillers than can plug into a watercooled air handler that is plug and play

C

canaguy27

what size a room are you going to be rockin that in my friend? Also, did he price you that much for a 36k btu system?

10'x25'

The price includes his labor and the system. I think it is two systems with 3 evaps.

C

CannaColorado

10'x25'

The price includes his labor and the system. I think it is two systems with 3 evaps.

ooo tight i didnt notice you were in colorado too, is your HVAC legit? i have been looking around but can't find anyone that doesn't look like they are going to make a second visit to my house about 12 weeks after its installed to take me herbs : P

did widdowmaker draw you a CAD for that size/ Lighting?

Z

zoeronerer

i like the movin cool enclosed units . they blow hard and disperse the cooled air evenly. they are a little spendy but will never break. i have had one in operation for 10 plus years constant. instal u just wheel the thing in...and attatch the in outs.

its a beast . and really quiet. i have done alot of ducting workin the past so dealing with hot air is easier than anything . if you put it on a damper and thermostat you can use the extra btu's in heat to warm your house. my buddy patched his into the existing ducting system in his house's air handle er ....and u cant tell the diff between it and the furnace .....

get a wholesale number and buy one they are nearly half the price .. solid as a rock these units.

C

canaguy27

ooo tight i didnt notice you were in colorado too, is your HVAC legit? i
did widdowmaker draw you a CAD for that size/ Lighting?

i just asked widow for the CAD drawing. I told my ac guy that the owner of the place is very paranoid, and that I would have to drive his truck to the site, which he was cool with. He is a friend of a friend.

So I never told him it was for my place, just that I was a consultant. Better be safe than sorry.

I am flying my brother out to do the electrical, and I almost flew out his HVAC friend. PM me for the local guys info. I am ordering a Mitsubishi unit soon.

That Friedrich unit BTW does not have a heat pump, so it will only cool.

budfriend

budfriend

what do you guys think about this unit

http://www.portableacshopping.com/24000btuminisplitac-inverter.html

24,000 btu 16 seer . linesets and all included... shipped. $1,598.

The site recommeded this to more known brand name units for the price.

Also i could get a split with two 12,000 btu and put them on oppisite sides of the room.

DUAL ZONE - 2 Indoor Units (12K + 12K) 24000 BTU COOL, 25000 BTU HEAT SEER 16.5 - $2099

or a 13 seer one...12,000 + 12,000 Btu R22 Freon $1699 ...this only cools and dehumidifies but that is all i need.

Im thinking i would save money in the long run with a 16 seer. How much power do you save between a 13 seer and a 16 seer. How long untill the saving in electric pays for the cost difference.

All these units can be found on the original site i posted at top. The ones im posting are YMGI. This website carries Freindrich and mitsubishi and they say these ymgi are equal based on the parts inside. These have an inverter and a toshiba compressor.

So what do you guys think. Anyone found anything better.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Heres the one Im looking at. I know its somewhat of an off brand, but for the price, I think its worth it...

budfriend

budfriend

anyone know how much power you save with a 24,000 btu 16 seer over one that is 13 seer?

Also it looks like getting one with an inverter saves power and the life of the unit becuase it can run at different speeds instead of just off and on.

Anyone with experience know???

J

jack the reaper

OK , Here goes. If you live in a climate that gets very cold winters than the only model of a/c on the market that works year round is the friedrich. They are about the best on the market for mini's, very well built. Mine have been running for 4 years with maybe 2 weeks of down time total. If the weather doesnt get that cold then the mitsu's are excellent also.

The excel air is a great unit, already has the cold weather kit installed. The best thing about this type of a/c unit is the ducting. It puts cold air everywhere in your room. My mini splits i had to put 8 inch can fan max's sitting right in front of them sucking in the cool air and blowing it through 8 inch ducting to the corners farthest away from the mini's.

hope this helps

dds

nooooooW ya tell me...

R

RMCG

anyone know how much power you save with a 24,000 btu 16 seer over one that is 13 seer?

Also it looks like getting one with an inverter saves power and the life of the unit becuase it can run at different speeds instead of just off and on.

Anyone with experience know???

Approx 19% power savings on 16 SEER vs 13 SEER.

10 SEER to 16 SEER = 37.5% less electricity.

budfriend

budfriend

thanks RMCG. Its definitly worth it to spend the extra money then and get a 16 seer. Only a couple hundred bucks extra.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Noticed a 5 Ton mini split on E...bay today. Seems a little cheap but if it last one or two runs thats all ya need sometimes. It's tempting.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Approx 19% power savings on 16 SEER vs 13 SEER.

10 SEER to 16 SEER = 37.5% less electricity.

RMCG,
Thanks for some usable specs on savings from the seer ratings. Makes perfect sense to me.

I know that cooling and humidity control are crucial for MPB's, but what about heat? Is it crucial to have the room at 80 in the winter time, or is in the 60's OK? I would think that just with the lighting and dehuey, that the room temps would be decent.

I am down to 2 splits by Friedrich, and the one without the heat pump is $500 less.

Any opinions?

Top Bottom