Choosing the righd LED

• Thread starter country84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

country84

Hello all,
after reading tons of posts i've decided to buy the ISIS-FX1™ from ledgrowlightsdirect.com (that runs also on 220v)- but still would like to hear another opinions..
Im about to grow scrog style, so the ISIS would be fitter then the Magnum 357.
I've decided to go with the ISIS since i haven't heard of a better LED at that price (399$ for 170w set), though it's combines both 1w and 3w LED and not only 3w.
so the question is if it's worth spending another 200$-150$ and invest in pure 3w? and if it is - which firms are there to look for?
thanks alot,
Country84
an about-to-be first time LED grower :yes

motta-tokka

motta-tokka

They are all about the same, crap.

Please post your results with your experimentation if you decide to go that route.

S

Spuzzum

They say 50,000hrs or 11 years at 12hrs a day. The reef tank community, the people who've been using these high powered led's for years, all say that 5 years is more realistic at 12hrs a day.

And if the unit doesn't have a "proper" heatsink, ie: one with fins.. the thing won't last a few years. The diodes should NOT be warm to the touch.. if they are, then the thing's not heatsinked properly.

Take a look at a proper heatsink to see what I mean:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587273

Considering most panels are made with simple aluminum sheets, I can see alot of unhappy gardeners out there in a few years, especially since some have already complained of 1 or 2 dead bulbs within their panels.

L

Lost

I appreciate your enthusiasm,
but could someone with real experience/knowledge would step forward and say what he think about my question above?

How do you know he does not have experience? What if he did and he still thinks they are crap?

I have real knowledge, and my advice is to get the HPS leds..... lol..

Seriously, why to you think people diss them so bad. But if you want to throw your money away, join the ranks of the suckers. You will simply do better with HPS. What ever your issues are that you think LEDS are the answer (wether its the electricity or heat issues), you need to stop trying to half ass it and do it right.

good luck :)

C

country84

You are right, Lost, i do not know if he got the knowledge or exp. But still - from what iv'e been reading there are satisfied growers and i wanted to hear their opinion.. and don't forget it's not the cheap and old stuff, which i agree is not the shit, it's what supposed to be the "new" gen of Led's, and by new i mean not been tested thoroughly and by many growers yet to conclude it's crap.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Well I was going around burying the hatchet with people I might have crossed swords with over the years. But there isn't going to be any chance of that with Motta-Tokka. He just doesn't know when to stop his stupid crusade against LED lights and just keeps posting misinformation.

Lost I know! Motta-tokka doesn't have much experience and he keeps talking out his ass about LEDs. But he skeep ignoring all the great LED grows starting with herbalizor getting 15 ounces TRIMMED off his 300w LED.

Final total was 470grams or so for 1000 watts. First time running any of these strains and the nutes/grow setups in this tent.This time around the outcome should be much better!! The new ladies are already looking outrageous. Hopefully I will get around to posting it up.

Go look at his pic in his thread. This guy must think people are stupid. Maybe with all the sticks there might be 470 grams hanging there but trimmed there isn't even 300 grams. But lets pretend there is.

300w LED herbalizor grow 15 ounces. 1000w Motta-Tokka 17 ounces. Explain that Motta-Tokka. You had fancy tent, fancy hood, a cool tube, hydroponics and herbalizor crushed him with soil and an LED. Where the hell does Motta even get to express his opinion in this matter?

Why has Motta made it his crusade to just bash LED lights whenever he can despite the evidence to the contrary? I don't really care what kind of light people use. I have them all. 1000w, 750w, 600w, 400w, 250w, LED, T5 and CFL. They are all fun to grow with and can produce buds. But if you just want to eliminate the fun factor and stick straight to bud production LEDs can compete with HPS.

Spreading misinformation isn't cool. Motta-Tokka doesn't even have the perfect skills to go and critique anyone let alone tell people what lights work and what lights don't. Seriously a pound report from a 1000w HPS. I can do 14 ounces off a 250w if I put the time into it and I won't be lying about the weight.

Quit posting misinformation. Is that asking too much? Stop your LED vendetta.

And Motta please go back to your thread and post the trimmed nugs next to something that shows scale because there is NO WAY IN HELL you got 470 grams from your 1000w HPS grow.

Then go to my thread where I am well on my way to kicking the crap out of Motta-Tokka results with 700w (300w LED and 400w HPS). Or go look up my pics of 14 ounces off a 250w or the 4+ pounds I got from my 750w.

Yeah I get all riled up over Motta-Tokka because he needs to knock off the LED crusade.

There is a multitude of great ways to grow good weed. Quit discouraging growers based on misinformation. Yes you want to stop people from making known mistakes or bonehead blunders. LED bashing isn't one of those times.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
To be fair, he's not the only one. There are many members here whose response to just about any LED question is to decry them as crap. I find myself frustrated that good (read: excellent) units are readily available for reefkeeping and manu's provide good information on spectra, etcetera on their units, but not for plant-growing. One guy on another site I belong to is doing an all-LED grow from start to finish, with LEDs that are using proprietary, according to his supplier (he's testing) spectra. This is frustrating for me, tell me what they're putting out!

If I'm averaging an elbow/600W light, motta should be able to get just over a pound with a thouie, easy-peasy.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
There shouldn't be any posturing on whatever lights somebody uses. What matters is if they can grow the amount of weed they need.

I have no problem with somebody coming into a thread where the OP says "What kind of LEDs should I get" and they say something like... "Hey I think you should go the HPS route. Lots of people are against LED but there are some good grows with them if you look. I would think researching what LED lights people like Herbalizor or Tobor used. But the technology is new so you might find the one you get is improved very soon after you get it or isn't as good as the others to begin with".

I already had every light I needed. I took on the LED to see how they work. I would not have based my first NEEDED grow on an LED. Because I didn't know if they worked. They work. There is a niche. They can do big things. They are expensive but for some people who want to grow in a small apartment or a dorm I would by the LED. It is just more convenient, takes less space, quieter, less ancillary equipment and safer looking.

i would probably go the HPS route for a big commercial. That being said if I had to pay for 40 1000w lights and hoods to start a big grow but somebody said here are 40 300w LED lights for free I am going LED and I am going to make a lot of money for 5-6 years off them.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It is the testing that helps drive the cost of the technology down. Right now there is very little incentive for the manufacturers of reef tank LED lighting to drop costs because, to be perfectly frank, most people who run reef systems have a lot of disposable income. Many of them switch from MH to LED simply for the heat control, rather than power cost control.

At this time I personally am taking steps and looking at more methods by which to become more energy and food independent, and reducing electrical footprint is one way. I can't afford at this time to buy an LED unit, but I *am* watching, closely, those who are doing it.

I have some serious respect for the risk motta took to out a certain someone. I still take some issue with people who unhelpfully pop into a "what LED should I buy?" thread to say go buy an HPS. But then, there's a reason why I do so well in sales. :makeup

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

haha growing with the LED's will work but you better plan on getting at least 5 more of those units inless you plan on getting schwag, lol take it easy man..for the price it's much better to go with mh or hps

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
haha growing with the LED's will work but you better plan on getting at least 5 more of those units inless you plan on getting schwag, lol take it easy man..for the price it's much better to go with mh or hps

So are you saying you have better buds than Herbalizor or me? Just checking before I tackle this dude. LOL!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Simply put if your starting off and want to turn your hobby into a career LED's aren't the way to go, but you can def. grow dank buds but yields will be limited. For a personal grow tho i think country will do fine with that, just won't get very much buds. The LED's are very ergonomic for some people tho....^ there i elaborated lol. Take it easy man hope this helps

devious d

devious d

i wont bring up plasma lights think ill save that for a thread of its own

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If I could afford to try something like plasma, I absolutely would. Have you seen the spectral graphs of those things?

L

Lost

Untill there are panels that use the 5 and 15 watt leds, then yea, bunko.. the 1 watt cheap leds just don't cut it.

For newer growers, I will always reccommend HPS. Its to easy for them to blow their whole wad on a stupid light, and then have shitty results..

S

Spuzzum

Here's what a measley "60 watts" can do in a 60cm x 40cm area (16" x 24"). And oh yeah.. they're only 1w'ers ;)

http://i851.invalid.com/albums/ab80/thereal_spuzzum/19-november-2010-005.jpg http://i851.invalid.com/albums/ab80/thereal_spuzzum/18-12-2010-001.jpg

That's comparable to a 250hps in the same area.

If you get the Cree led's.. they are actually 3 watters for the whites/blues, and 2.5 watters for the reds. This guy sets them at 1w, or just under actually.. that's how he's still just over 60w with 102 led's. Yes, they're going to last longer at 1w, but at a trade-off on intensity. If you use proper heatsinking, they can safely be run at 75-80% capacity.. ie: 2w each.

C

country84

Hi Spuzzum
it's funny you brought up that web site, it was the one who got me hooked with all of this led stuff the first place.
but this creative dude has built the whole thing by himself and im really more of a "plug&play" kind of guy :)
anyway..can i be assured that the ISIS-FX1 () will at least compare to a 250w HPS lamp? to be frankly, i'm so confused by now from all the opposites opinions that i think that it may be what calls eventually.

M

mtnmann63

I hear you Country84. I am looking into getting a led setup to go with my 4 105w cfl's. I am in it for quality not quantity. My closet is 32"x 48", or .98ms. Any non-knee jerk response is appreciated.

C

country84

i've been following Dunits' post "Brainstorm under 357 Magnum LED's", his LED look's awesome having 3w lights while the ISIS combines both 1w and 3w - which seem's kinda lagged in progress.. though he recommend using the ISIS for short plants (like i plan on having). someone familiar with another powerful 3w product that has wide angle lenses for a reasonable price (below 700$?)

Top Bottom