Chop Chop? Anyone that would wait longer?

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Then why did you ask?
Just curious. It’s my first grow but I’m a long time ...enthusiast I guess would be the right term lol. I think being able to put others thoughts to a photo would also better help me learn. Especially since everyone has different ideas of the best time to harvest, and I think if they end up with the results they shoot for then none of them are wrong. But knowledge is power to make informed decisions. What about you? Do you harvest by zooming in on trichomes and if yes then what ratios do you usually cut at? Or is it different per strain? One guy here actually harvests by smell...which I find interesting, but no idea how he does it.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I would.

Some of your pictures show a bit of amber. Many show what I see as clear and cloudy with no amber. Cut a few that show amber and let it dry. You're far enough along that even if you did throw a male flower, seeds are unlikely to form.
It’s only the main cola (I didn’t train, she is all na-tu-raal...armpit hair and all) so I’d have to cut the head off the beast. Is that still ok to do and won’t affect the other buds? Because, if so, I might do that in the morning.

But just one question....how much worse is drying one main cola by itself in 30-35% humidity 70*F....might be able to get temps down a bit but humidifiers will be on in the room too...hopefully get it up to 50% at least. Would the main cola (after being separated from the plant) dry that much faster from not being connected to the rest of the plant (which should slow the drying)? Hope that made sense I’m baked.

Winterone

Winterone

I know you know that it's ready, I get it, it is exciting. Want to try a partial ? Go for it, those are some pretty nice buds. You Did awesome! You could even regrow! Seen a guy cut all the colas and regrow from stalk, more buds by revegging! Very cool, took three month to second budding. Do it, you can't go wrong. And the sad day an experiment goes wrong grow another bean.
Lots of info on drying out there, I found a week and few days in the cool relative airy and dark place works or back in the tent where I can control humidity and circulation. Then to jars to burp until it get to a stable rh of 62 and let it cure for a few weeks this is all learn by trial and error and everyone has their own way. Try a few and see what works for you. Keep seeking that perfect cure.
Never did see what variety you said it was...

Dothraki

Dothraki

I know you know that it's ready, I get it, it is exciting. Want to try a partial ? Go for it, those are some pretty nice buds. You Did awesome! You could even regrow! Seen a guy cut all the colas and regrow from stalk, more buds by revegging! Very cool, took three month to second budding. Do it, you can't go wrong. And the sad day an experiment goes wrong grow another bean.
Lots of info on drying out there, I found a week and few days in the cool relative airy and dark place works or back in the tent where I can control humidity and circulation. Then to jars to burp until it get to a stable rh of 62 and let it cure for a few weeks this is all learn by trial and error and everyone has their own way. Try a few and see what works for you. Keep seeking that perfect cure.
Never did see what variety you said it was...
The top cola is definitely looking ready...and I’m really thinking of doing a partial harvest but can’t seem to find much on the risks, like plant freaks out and remaining buds die or just stops maturing? And oh yeah, sorry didnt mention... it’s called Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Humboldt Seed Company. Pineapple Trainwreck crossed with Cookie Monster. I’ve never had it before but hear good things about the Dark Heart cut. Thanks for the tips!

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I noticed you talked about doing a whole plant hang since you’re RH is super low. This is where a tent or small space could really come in handy. The inkbird humidity controller let’s you dial in your RH but in such a large space that may not work in your situation. I’ve been using a small tent to dry in. I keep it at 60% easily and the RH where I live right now is like 25%. That’s what I like about the tent is it’s easier to dial in and control the environment. Looking good man!

Dothraki

Dothraki

I noticed you talked about doing a whole plant hang since you’re RH is super low. This is where a tent or small space could really come in handy. The inkbird humidity controller let’s you dial in your RH but in such a large space that may not work in your situation. I’ve been using a small tent to dry in. I keep it at 60% easily and the RH where I live right now is like 25%. That’s what I like about the tent is it’s easier to dial in and control the environment. Looking good man!
Yeah that’s what the plan was...to just dry in the tent with the humidifier outside, in the room. I’m hoping the rest of the main buds are ripened more today when lights come on I’ll check. Selective harvesting sounds like a great solution but I’ve also heard it stalls the plant for a week or 2. I haven’t even defoliated through the grow either, so not sure if it’d freak out by snipping it off lol.

Winterone

Winterone

The top cola is definitely looking ready...and I’m really thinking of doing a partial harvest but can’t seem to find much on the risks, like plant freaks out and remaining buds die or just stops maturing? And oh yeah, sorry didnt mention... it’s called Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Humboldt Seed Company. Pineapple Trainwreck crossed with Cookie Monster. I’ve never had it before but hear good things about the Dark Heart cut. Thanks for the tips!
Don't worry they are weeds, take care, keep things clean, and take less if your unsure. the plant will continue to grow if the roots are good. cheers
it will do fine it won't stop maturing, it will even regrow. One of the many reasons to love this plant. sure some are finicky, life long learning. you can't mess up , unless stash is low 😄

Dothraki

Dothraki

Well I chopped the main cola...the main stalk is hollow.

3649B180 41B7 485D 942B 3A5875D25AC8

4BA453E7 7EB8 4590 828F 671D6BBBA9B3

Dothraki

Dothraki

Just wanted to report that there hasn’t seemed to be any adverse effects to be-heading the plant...for those wondering. It may have slowed the ripening process but impossible to tell.

It‘s a good thing that I cut it off because there were fat juicy little buds all clumped up and hidden from air and light that are now free to breath. I think it was a good choice.

growsince79

growsince79

Just wanted to report that there hasn’t seemed to be any adverse effects to be-heading the plant...for those wondering. It may have slowed the ripening process but impossible to tell.

It‘s a good thing that I cut it off because there were fat juicy little buds all clumped up and hidden from air and light that are now free to breath. I think it was a good choice.
Good job, you learned a lot on you first grow. Most people would have thrown that confused girl out.

Winterone

Winterone

The things we learn, right?😁👍

Dothraki

Dothraki

Good job, you learned a lot on you first grow. Most people would have thrown that confused girl out.
I’m waiting until I know for sure...after drying the main cola I’ll snag a bud to smoke when it goes into jars...but I’m 90% sure there are NO seeds. Nothing indicated pollination at all. So anyway, as soon as I confirm that I’m going back to that thread to let em all know the Hermie is the best smoke I’ve had in a long time....assuming by the look and smell. But I would put money on it.

growsince79

growsince79

I’m waiting until I know for sure...after drying the main cola I’ll snag a bud to smoke when it goes into jars...but I’m 90% sure there are NO seeds. Nothing indicated pollination at all. So anyway, as soon as I confirm that I’m going back to that thread to let em all know the Hermie is the best smoke I’ve had in a long time....assuming by the look and smell. But I would put money on it.
Don't judge a book by it's cover. Sometimes the best smelling, stickiest buds, aren't as good as they look. People breeding for bag appeal instead of effect make pretty buds that don't have the proper potency. I'm seeing a lot of that with store bought seeds. Sad.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Don't judge a book by it's cover. Sometimes the best smelling, stickiest buds, aren't as good as they look. People breeding for bag appeal instead of effect make pretty buds that don't have the proper potency. I'm seeing a lot of that with store bought seeds. Sad.
Very true. I do think a lot of it is the ways it’s grown and processed too though. I’ve had legitimate cut zkittlez that was weak and had no smell, it was also grown with PGRs that leave it spongy and I’ve left a bud out to dry and it still feels moist and spongy.

But also I’ve seen the cool looking strains that should be good and suck. Luckily PUDC is a great potent strain, and the premature bud I tested was strong but had a good vibe to it. So I’m thinking I’ll love it. Lot of favorites in the genes like trainwreck, GSC, pink panties, Pineapple Express... as long as my dry and cure goes well. So far it seems to be drying at a good slow rate.

growsince79

growsince79

Very true. I do think a lot of it is the ways it’s grown and processed too though. I’ve had legitimate cut zkittlez that was weak and had no smell, it was also grown with PGRs that leave it spongy and I’ve left a bud out to dry and it still feels moist and spongy.

But also I’ve seen the cool looking strains that should be good and suck. Luckily PUDC is a great potent strain, and the premature bud I tested was strong but had a good vibe to it. So I’m thinking I’ll love it. Lot of favorites in the genes like trainwreck, GSC, pink panties, Pineapple Express... as long as my dry and cure goes well. So far it seems to be drying at a good slow rate.
I'm talking about seeds I've grown from different breeders. The prettiest ones are never the best. Frost and bud structure does not equal potency.

Winterone

Winterone

So here is a pic of my recently defoiled Black Sugar I will let her veg now for at least another 3 wks training and defoliation as necessary. I don't lolipop. Just take the fan leafs that shade the inside she will get another defoil and rest a week before flower. Smaller spaces. It should give you more ideas on how easily trained these plants are. This is an easy lazy way to maximize your space. Cheers
20220216 212752

Dothraki

Dothraki

I'm talking about seeds I've grown from different breeders. The prettiest ones are never the best. Frost and bud structure does not equal potency.
Ah gotchya. Yeah there’s some crap genetics out there. My buddy wasted 5 grows on them and didn’t end up with anything worth smoking. Some looked pretty decent but were just not good.

Dothraki

Dothraki

So here is a pic of my recently defoiled Black Sugar I will let her veg now for at least another 3 wks training and defoliation as necessary. I don't lolipop. Just take the fan leafs that shade the inside she will get another defoil and rest a week before flower. Smaller spaces. It should give you more ideas on how easily trained these plants are. This is an easy lazy way to maximize your space. Cheers View attachment 1219018
is that just trained for a scrog or did you top it? If you topped it how many times?

Winterone

Winterone

is that just trained for a scrog or did you top it? If you topped it how many times?
Topped once then just Lst the branches open in a pleasing way. I lst the main at 45 and top it once. You can see how it leans.
Then work the branches so they all get light. This is where the defoil works by letting in more light. Idea, to expose potential buds here is a closeup but it barely shows the nice way each stem will develop

Cuts
Top Bottom