• Thread starter yayarea
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
workaholics_montez_my_queen_640x360.jpg

Oh Montez. I love when you give me that look.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I have an abundance of hydroton, and readily available peat source. Coco is not available locally. What is the downfall to using peat instead of coco?

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

If you check a few post back it needs to be adjusted using lime. More people doing coco so I am sticking with that for now until I can mess with it.

K

kushtrees

I've been wanting to switch up both the hydroton and coco lately. This last batch of hydroton was not washed well enough and now my run off pH is 6.8...

Sunshine mix 4 has added lime in it, I was thinking if taking sunshine mix 4 and adding growstones till I have my 80/20 growstones/ peat mix.

Thoughts?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If you check a few post back it needs to be adjusted using lime. More people doing coco so I am sticking with that for now until I can mess with it.

I did not adjust mine at all FWIW.

Based on recent research I also think that pumice is better than perlite or hydroton. I am going to go for peat/pumice next round.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I did not adjust mine at all FWIW.

Based on recent research I also think that pumice is better than perlite or hydroton. I am going to go for peat/pumice next round.

I`ve got the hydroton, and some spare cuttings. I am going to do a 50 50 hydroton and peat. I`ve got a plant in a 5gal with 50 50 perlite peat, but it seams to hold alot of moisture

K

kushtrees

Yea they look really cool. They have a smaller size for soil amending, and a larger one for hydro. They also are more pourus than hydroton and larger and stronger than perlite. Plus they are apparently more pH stable and have much less dust.

I really like that they are made from recycled glass too. They r on the expensive side tho...

Cort

Cort

Just got stuck with "hydrocorn" from the Gold Label brand. Short of it being 45L instead of 50L for about the same price, the quality seems constant. I think there are more irregular shaped pellets on the "hydrocorn" A good or bad feature, Ill prolly never know.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Transplanted some seedlings into 1/2gal containers with a mixture of 1 part perlite, 1 part hydroton and 2 parts peat. Already they are light and will prolly need water by tomorrow.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Welll time to lift this up. I am getting ready. Using hydroton on this round as it is bought and paid for... but next I may just use smoot pebbles or stones if I can find them cheap enough. Was looking up aquaponics and that is what they were using as grow medium and their plants were huge with a constant drip. So... some homework over the summer.

Have a questioin though... running scrog in 15 gallon fabric pots... using plugs to start seeds.... should I plant them streight into the 15 gallons when they root?

Cort

Cort

Ganja, i been around too long to be new to this, but I still a novice.

That being said, you are going to want a few pots between plugs and 15g,

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Have a questioin though... running scrog in 15 gallon fabric pots... using plugs to start seeds.... should I plant them streight into the 15 gallons when they root?

Like Cort said, I would definitely use a couple pots in between a plug and 15 gallon bucket. Its up to you, but I would put the plugs in 1 gallon when they are fully rooted, then into 5 gallon pots, then the 15. I would never transplant more then 3 times for one indoor cycle.

Actually, I don't use plugs for seeds, I start mine in solo cups, so I would go solo cup, 5 gallon, then 15 gallon. Are you growing trees?? The 15 gallon pots seem big for coco/hydroton, you could probably get similar results using a 7-10 gallon pot at the most. I think 15 gallon pots would be better for soil, unless your growing big trees with vert lighting??

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Thanks lex... I think I am going to do 5 gallon smarts for my scrog.... wait until the screen is 2/3 filled then make the flower switch. Just want to be sure the roots are kept happy. Thanks brother.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thanks lex... I think I am going to do 5 gallon smarts for my scrog.... wait until the screen is 2/3 filled then make the flower switch. Just want to be sure the roots are kept happy. Thanks brother.

No prob, that sounds like it'll be more efficient and easier, good luck.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I thought about it and a few other sites have people doing it but to get them dialed in is what turned me off. I have decided to go with the Jacks hydro as a base with ogranic ammendments and Tea. With the jacks it is basically plug and play with a cycle timer and have a little peace of mind. Just my thoughts as a noob who has bugged people and asked alot of questions. I just wanted something with ease of use. Rez, timer, and simple mix.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Awhile back in this thread, someone asked about combining organic inputs with chow mix. I'm running 8" net pot bucket lids full of 50/50 chow mix with top drip irrigation. I add earthworm castings on top and let it water in, where all water runs down through the mix, down the roots and back into the RDWC below. It works well, keeps everything healthy and running smoothly and is very fault tolerant.

Top Bottom