Coco Flushing Techniques

• Thread starter saltwater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
saltwater

saltwater

I read all these stories about stressing the plant in coco when doing straight freshwater flush.

Last time I flushed for 5 days, dried for about 8 days, then cured for about 3 or so weeks and my bud was a little harsh. When I feed I feed about half strength recommended. (Although it was harsh It was very potent)

This time I have tapered the nutes down to half of what I normally feed since I have about a week or two until harvest and I may do a plain water flush for 5-7 days. I'm just worried about killing my plants or degrading the thc on the plants like some have warned me about..

Or should I just keep feeding very low nutes until harvest hopping the plant will use up the nutrients plus whatever is stored ?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Man you're starting to get in that realm of heavy opinion. I recommend trying different methods till you find the one that works For you. I usually taper and and flush a few days. But long as the plant is fading you shouldn't have excess nutrients in plant.

saltwater

saltwater

Man you're starting to get in that realm of heavy opinion. I recommend trying different methods till you find the one that works For you. I usually taper and and flush a few days. But long as the plant is fading you shouldn't have excess nutrients in plant.

Sounds good! Thanks for the tip. I have some fading going on with some of my plants which is nice.Most of the trichs are milky. No brown trichs yet. Hoping to have some brown trichs by next week and if so I'll start a full on flush for a few days or until I see some fading.

This topic is always a bad topic but I just wanted to see if anyone had any other tips I haven't found

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Yea it's one of those hot topics. Also the longer the cure the smoother the smoke. Also dry trimming improved my flavor day and night. Some people say fade dont matter, but my best tasting plants have always started to fade or are faded.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
When growing in coir and using salt-based fertilizers, what I do is I taper off (as mentioned above) but I never go to straight water. The last 7-10 days I use molasses or another sugar. This does two things; it prevents shock to the plant caused by going from a solution with an EC reading (think: osmotic pressure) to none at all; the sugars cause a bacterial bloom that sequesters nitrogen and makes it unavailable to the plant, thus giving me the blonde buds I grew up loving. In other words, it forces a fade.

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Flushing for taste is a myth

You obviously work for a nutrient company.

You can taste unflushed nutes in bud with low terps, the brands of bloom additives are freaking identifiable by taste and smell...

Give me a dozen different poorly cured buds, ones that smell like nothing, or hay, and Ill tell you which were grown in dirt, which are hydro/coco, and which nutrients were used if the latter was not flushed for weeks.

TIP: Pull a branch before chop and suck it. If it taste like anything other than pure water (ie bitter), your crop will fail my contaminant test.

Late flower nutrients are a scam. Only if you grow from seed and need to cover up inconsistencies with bag appeal enhancers and an artificial smell, do most of these products have any positive effect.

If your plant cant survive on 2 weeks, you need to change your methods, or have a bad understanding of how bud is traditionally cured by scoring the stalks and starving before chop.. The plant is not dying, it is becoming "gold". Damned kids with their addiction to upc labels and gullibility to gimmick marketing ploys ensuring grass root compliance by conglomerate corporations.

Cannabis speaks to me, and says its gene pool is dying in North America, thanks to bottled slave breeding. Ask a grower over 30 whos not affraid to hurt special snowflakes feelings: weed doesnt like flower nutes. Never needed em until the genetics were ruined. Now the weed doesnt know what its suppossed to be so the growers dont have a clue either, obviously, with shit like "flushing for flavor is a myth". Well i must be freakin bigfoot then!

Rant over, back to my spaceship i go.

Smerb

Smerb

You obviously work for a nutrient company.

You can taste unflushed nutes in bud with low terps, the brands of bloom additives are freaking identifiable by taste and smell...

Give me a dozen different poorly cured buds, ones that smell like nothing, or hay, and Ill tell you which were grown in dirt, which are hydro/coco, and which nutrients were used if the latter was not flushed for weeks.

TIP: Pull a branch before chop and suck it. If it taste like anything other than pure water (ie bitter), your crop will fail my contaminant test.

Late flower nutrients are a scam. Only if you grow from seed and need to cover up inconsistencies with bag appeal enhancers and an artificial smell, do most of these products have any positive effect.

If your plant cant survive on 2 weeks, you need to change your methods, or have a bad understanding of how bud is traditionally cured by scoring the stalks and starving before chop.. The plant is not dying, it is becoming "gold". Damned kids with their addiction to upc labels and gullibility to gimmick marketing ploys ensuring grass root compliance by conglomerate corporations.

Cannabis speaks to me, and says its gene pool is dying in North America, thanks to bottled slave breeding. Ask a grower over 30 whos not affraid to hurt special snowflakes feelings: weed doesnt like flower nutes. Never needed em until the genetics were ruined. Now the weed doesnt know what its suppossed to be so the growers dont have a clue either, obviously, with shit like "flushing for flavor is a myth". Well i must be freakin bigfoot then!

Rant over, back to my spaceship i go.
Yo Bigfoot, opinions man. You must be a weed head. Same here. My plants thrive for 30+ days with no nutes,bomb soil, BUT they love them extras. Nutrients wouldn't be there if they weren't trustworthy to some extent. I know a lot of people that want our west coast and east coast buds. Dudes want our strains and I want there foreign strains. Lateski.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Nutrients within the plant don't magically evaporate; they're stuck there.
I'd be happy to go over the processes within the plant, step by step, if you like.

But isn't the fade from the plant becoming deficient? For instance, when monitoring runoff ec over the course of flushing, I like to watch it slowly drop, which coincides with the plant fading as less npk, etc. is available to it. So the plant cannibalizes itself leading to it showing deficiencies, aka the fade.

It'd be cool to see a tissue analysis before and after flush and see what elements are present and in what amounts.

I'd be interested in reading what you have to say about the processes happenin within the plant.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Plant biology is certainly complicated, and fascinating, IMO.

I am under the impression that if not enough nutritional elements are available to the roots the plant begins breaking down the elements in itself to stay alive.

I may be wrong, as I have no formal education in horticulture, or biology, for that matter.

What is your understanding of the process?

Wisher619

Wisher619

I lower my nutes till fade because it starts the curing process.....by the plant cannibalizing (moving stored +/- mobile ions from one part of the plant to the other.....chlorophyl begins to degrade...speeding up the curing process by which i never get a hay smell.......because there is no chlorophyl to off gas......leaving only the beautiful fragrance of the essential oils secreted through the trichomes........
for my outdoor...nature takes care of me......she controls the environment ....I am god when it comes to my indoor garden

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I lower my nutes till fade because it starts the curing process.....by the plant cannibalizing (moving stored +/- mobile ions from one part of the plant to the other.....chlorophyl begins to degrade...speeding up the curing process by which i never get a hay smell.......because there is no chlorophyl to off gas......leaving only the beautiful fragrance of the essential oils secreted through the trichomes........
for my outdoor...nature takes care of me......she controls the environment ....I am god when it comes to my indoor garden
What that dude said. Anything else is just noise....

Wisher619

Wisher619

Yes, starving the plant breaks the chain within the chloroplasts. Chlorophyll breaks down and essentially, speeds up cure, but at a cost.

Chlorophyll breaks down naturally over time anyway. You're just trading potential grow time for cure speed.
for some maybe
I have done both methods.....and I have found personally there is no degradation nor have I seen anything positive from not starving the plant the last week....well tapering off is what I like to call it
I dont get "extra trichs....or bigger buds" once the buds swell and finish...well they are finished...period.....Inderstand the argument with the grower who "flushes for the last 30 days bro".....but that to me...is stupid....unless you are growing in soil...which is a differ topic entirely
IMHO

Wisher619

Wisher619

Flushing is not starving, fading, or anything else, to cause nutrients to disappear from the plant.

I think you guys are completely missing how the terms are being used.
Flushing is to cleans soils/medium, and has no other meaning.
game of semantics
I think.....and no disrespect.....seems you are getting hung up on what people call what they do.....yes it is Not actually flushing
but what wver people want to call it......braiding hair......cooking rice.....pleating my dickies....dosnt really matter to me
we all know what people are meaning when they speak of flushing.....
unless they are talking coco re-use
in any case .....
since nobody has peer reviewed scientific paper studied on such subjects of cannabis growing....it is all opinion at this point

Latest posts

Top Bottom