Coco Redemption - Free at Last!

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sfzoo

get em!!!

what's next? I used azamax for my 2nd round of miticide....polished em right off!!

good luck man.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Funny you say that. I got the bottle of azamax ready for mite's next present! I heard it was their birthday, and I didn't want to show up empty handed.

-TF

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Update Time

Week 3 of flower is in the books. Nuggets are super ball sized so far. I picked up some more stuff to battle the mites in veg. Treated them all to a dip in a tub of avid. More to come for those little guys. Everything looking pretty good. Pulled 4 males so far from the Alien Dog V2's. Two more look like they could be male as well. That would leave me with 3 out of 10 for the females. Same as the Sour OG. Oh well. The party goes on....

First, the crazy Sour OG. They are unfortunately running a bit hotter due to height.
IMG 2337

IMG 2340

Then the CVK.

IMG 2343

IMG 2334

-TF

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Nice job TF! Seems like those girls are a bit hungry though... :thinking

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Looking like the heat is giving the sour OG has some leaf fringing and taco. The leaves get a little bleached? (hard to tell with the pics white balance)

peace,

Lead

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Nice job TF! Seems like those girls are a bit hungry though... :thinking

Thanks Shady. I truthfully don't know 100%. First time in coco, and first time with either strain in flower. With that said, I do think it may be a heat issue.

Looking like the heat is giving the sour OG has some leaf fringing and taco. The leaves get a little bleached? (hard to tell with the pics white balance)

peace,

Lead

Lead, I believe that you have the idea. Some of the lightness is the white balance, but they are specifically lighter on the growth closest to the lights. The CVK's show the hot spots in the canopy with similar lighter colored growth. I turned the AC thermostat down 2 more degrees. We shall see if that makes a difference. Would you say that the leaf fringing is a sign of too high leaf temps? Obviously in future runs, the mission will be to keep the plants under the 4' range. More like 2-3.

-TF

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
how much cal mag per gal you feeding? how much per gal did you precharge with?

sorry if its been asked or you mentioned it - ogs love cal mag and in coco you really have to bump it way more then in dirt rockwool or hydroton

some silica might boost their tolerance to heat

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Yeah... Leadsled and motherlode are on point as usual... :nod

Def a combo of both issues, but I'm simply stoked that you are gonna have some fat colas in a couple weeks... :rock

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

how much cal mag per gal you feeding? how much per gal did you precharge with?

sorry if its been asked or you mentioned it - ogs love cal mag and in coco you really have to bump it way more then in dirt rockwool or hydroton

some silica might boost their tolerance to heat

I am feeding 5ml per gal. I did "some" pre-charge with some cal mag water, again at 5ml pre gal, but not for long enough, and no nutrient mixed in either. Things that some other wise people on here have helped me a bit with. Last batch I mixed up was pre-charging for 2 days with cal mag water with 1/2 nutes. Learning as I go along. I did use some silica in the feed, but it was mainly in lieu of ph up when required.

-TF

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Say Hello to my Little Friend

I just got something in the mail that those mites are really gonna love.

IMG 2362

Happy 420 you dirty little bastards!

-TF

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am feeding 5ml per gal. I did "some" pre-charge with some cal mag water, again at 5ml pre gal, but not for long enough, and no nutrient mixed in either. Things that some other wise people on here have helped me a bit with. Last batch I mixed up was pre-charging for 2 days with cal mag water with 1/2 nutes. Learning as I go along. I did use some silica in the feed, but it was mainly in lieu of ph up when required.

-TF
I forget which coco you say you're using, but I got my best results by not using Cal-Mag and separating out Ca and Mg by using a 6% Ca product (BioLink, IIRC, gotta doublecheck) and MgSO4. That said, when pre-charging Botanicare bales (5kg) I always go with 20ml/gal Cal-Mag, when I used the Cal-Mag. (GO Cal-Mag+, btw.) When you separate the feedings like that, not only can you directly observe which thing does what, corrects what, but you can bump up how much you feed of each as opposed to when they're fed together. I did also use these two products in the same feed, but would adjust strength accordingly. Never had to use more than 1/4tsp/gal MgSO4 ever, even when playing around with amounts of the 6%Ca.

You've got some phosphorous issues going on there, I'm wondering if the K might be out of whack, causing the P to be problematic. I always have problems with P in coco. Wait... that didn't sound right... :giggle

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Different coco brands seem to require diff procedures for flushing and precharging... I never flush or precharge when using B'cuzz coco... :cool

purpleberry

purpleberry

With the edges curling up and some starting to claw. Im going to say you over feed them, Whats your the ppms of your nutes before and after run off?
Ive done a few grows in hot hot tents and heat dont cause that by it self.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Coco is Canna coir. The last feedings on those girls were just over 1200 ppm. Runoff is lower. I can get some exact numbers later, when I feed.

-TF

P.S. Happy 420 everybody. Thanks

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Lead, I believe that you have the idea. Some of the lightness is the white balance, but they are specifically lighter on the growth closest to the lights. The CVK's show the hot spots in the canopy with similar lighter colored growth. I turned the AC thermostat down 2 more degrees. We shall see if that makes a difference. Would you say that the leaf fringing is a sign of too high leaf temps? Obviously in future runs, the mission will be to keep the plants under the 4' range. More like 2-3.

-TF
could be like overfeeding excelerated by heat stress/low rh. That can cause excessive transpiration. there try get rid of the excess salt but cannot because they cant drink. locked out.

MY suggestion:
in addition to check the ec of the runoff. keep a plant in a saucer or lift it to see if it is getting lighter.

That way you can tell if they are still drinking/uptaking water.

imho, important to monitor this. That way you can determine what they are doing, whether your overfeeding or "in the zone" (especially important with a timer/or irrigation setup)

Since hand watering is more hands on, so easier to "see" the water uptake.

If I overfeed, the plants will stop drinking. So it is also good to know how they drink when in ideally fed. That way you know what to watch for whne things change.

To fix the issue.
Then I flush em until the runoff is down to 1/2 the strength of your feed ( or less)

Then usually voila, the saucer will be empty because they are drinking again. Then follow up with a 1/2 strength feed. If they do not drink after flushing 1 x make take a few times to get em back on track.

Looking for the similar zone you get with ebb and flow w rockwool. ph rises and ec lowers and the res level is dropping. you just determine that a little differently with coco. I find my doing like above and watching the plants closely I learn what they need. New strain may take little while to get dialed but they all seem to have there own quirks.

That ec may be fine for the cvk but may be too hot for sour og to further complicate things.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Happy 420

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

OK,
Temps are just under 80 in general at canopy level. The sour OG's are taller, so they are definitely hotter. I just got a bunch of thermometers so I can monitor many areas at once for temps. The RH has been between 50-60 during daytime. I will bump it up higher. Some plants have increased transpiration due to proximity to the fans. The plants all feel light before feeding each night before feeding. I will try the saucer later as well.

-TF

Latest posts

Top Bottom