coco smart beds with Obs

• Thread starter Obsoul33t
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aleYarok

aleYarok

obs would love if you made a new updated thread on your growing style :)

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
obs would love if you made a new updated thread on your growing style :)
didn't know this thread was still around lol just saw all the bumps ...

coco beds using straight cheap coco fiber . no perlite added
i started using 200 g smarts per 4x4/1k i am now using 4x4 smartbed inserts .
rtw dof , the inserts are sitting on top of commercial greenhouse mesh table tops on 4'x20' beds 5k over a bed .watered once a week . extremely simple and very productive ...

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
watering the bed is simple

50 gl used vinegar drum
3200gph sump pump with float shut off
garden hose
ag tape

50 gallons is good to saturate beds to small run off but i normally drip 75gl per bed once a week.. it's as easy as filling the drum plugging in the sump pump and walking away ...the float will shut the pump off when the res is empty
rtw dof lol
this is the third run on this coco and i have one more run on this coco . 4 runs per bed then change out coco fiber ..

last pic
far back Mgeni ,malawi x alien
in front of Giesel x Chemdog D

Beds 001
Beds 003
Beds 011
Beds 004
Beds 006
Beds 007
Beds 014
Aligee

Aligee

dam nice there OBS omg that's a sweet looking setup I like that ...

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Sick setup obs! The grate under the bed and drain on floor is bad ass... :rock

aleYarok

aleYarok

you're incredible.
thanks for answering all my questions obs.
looking to set my next place up something like this. either soil or coco beds in smartpot liners for sure! love the simplicity.

pork

pork

those mesh tables look awesome....i did a similar thing after finding this thread, but put the smart pots on Botannicare trays...

I ran dripper lines off my 1/2" feed line and more plants....i think what you've done is nicer...did you just poke holes in each of those lines running down the pots?

Also, I think I had trouble getting a good flush with this much medium...Maybe I wasn't running enough water through them? I was watering every/every other day (started getting colder) and was going through about 50gal/pot/week...Maybe that wasn't enough?

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Hell yeah! That's a sweet room OBS! What are your yield differences between the 200g SP and the new table liner setup?

Cheers,
Crom

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
you're incredible.
thanks for answering all my questions obs.
looking to set my next place up something like this. either soil or coco beds in smartpot liners for sure! love the simplicity.
coco all the way .... it's the shit

Thank you Obs! I knew there was a method to your madness!!!:sign0005:

Can you please provide a link to the commercial mesh tables? Where can I get that stuff? Those tray liners are the shit!!!:harvest:

Ale!! Id go Coco, To many gnat issues with soil Imo!
i got the mesh table bottoms from a local farm supply but most greenhouse supply stores carry them do a google search for greenhouse table tops .. the ones i got are 2'x4'

those mesh tables look awesome....i did a similar thing after finding this thread, but put the smart pots on Botannicare trays...

I ran dripper lines off my 1/2" feed line and more plants....i think what you've done is nicer...did you just poke holes in each of those lines running down the pots?

Also, I think I had trouble getting a good flush with this much medium...Maybe I wasn't running enough water through them? I was watering every/every other day (started getting colder) and was going through about 50gal/pot/week...Maybe that wasn't enough?
no hole poked in the lines they come pre slit every 8" it's is called ag t-tape it's for doing huge fields of veggies .

Hell yeah! That's a sweet room OBS! What are your yield differences between the 200g SP and the new table liner setup?

Cheers,
Crom
no difference between the round 200g pots anf the quare inserts . i think it is easier using the round 200g pots per 1k being round they need no side support you could put the mesh table tops right on the floor with a 200 g smart pot and that's it .. would be way simple and work as well
the next room will be that way ..

best run so far in beds was with shire at 9 per 1k vegged til canopy was nearly full then flipped . 5k=13lbs or 2.6 per 1k however it took shire 110 days to finish proper , i would rather do a strain that goes 55-63 days pulling 1.5+ and get nearly 2 pulls in the same time with a higher average per light over the year rather than per run .. math don't lie

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Cool, great updates.

Couple of q's if I may.

At the beginning I note that you had planned to flood 4-5 x a 12 hour period. Now you flood once a week. What is the reason behind the change? Did you find the plants got over saturated when flooded so frequently.

I also not you seam to be using what looks like coir now and not croutons. I guess that could explain feed frequency thinking about it.

I always understood coco to work best when receiving a frequent flow of nutes, I guess you prove otherwise. I would have thought major pH issues over a week, but again, I see not.

Great work.

true grit

true grit

Might have to put this in action tomorrow Obs...thanks for clearing up some info and droppin more.

How long does it take that pump to fill the bed? And im assuming 50g per 4x4? I need more time between waterings...think i found it.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
no difference between the round 200g pots anf the quare inserts . i think it is easier using the round 200g pots per 1k being round they need no side support you could put the mesh table tops right on the floor with a 200 g smart pot and that's it .. would be way simple and work as well
the next room will be that way ..

best run so far in beds was with shire at 9 per 1k vegged til canopy was nearly full then flipped . 5k=13lbs or 2.6 per 1k however it took shire 110 days to finish proper , i would rather do a strain that goes 55-63 days pulling 1.5+ and get nearly 2 pulls in the same time with a higher average per light over the year rather than per run .. math don't lie

Great info. Are those 200g SPs still only 20 lbs after drying post harvest, for clean up? Think you said the croutons were like 20 lbs and could fold like a taco for disposal of medium. Those aren't bad numbers to pull! I agree that I'd rather pull two runs then 110 days, unless it's a badass sativa. Keep up the good work, and it's good seeing you around the Farm again!
:passingjoint:
Cheers,
Crom

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
Cool, great updates.

Couple of q's if I may.

At the beginning I note that you had planned to flood 4-5 x a 12 hour period. Now you flood once a week. What is the reason behind the change? Did you find the plants got over saturated when flooded so frequently.

I also not you seam to be using what looks like coir now and not croutons. I guess that could explain feed frequency thinking about it.

I always understood coco to work best when receiving a frequent flow of nutes, I guess you prove otherwise. I would have thought major pH issues over a week, but again, I see not.

Great work.
yes the first beds i did were the 2 x 200 gl smarts sitting on a 4x8 table filled with crutons , flood and drain .... worked great but i wanted even more simple so the crutons were ditched for medium grade coco and top fed drain to waste . i like drain to waste because your always feeding fresh full strength nutes everytime , i hate eating leftovers why should my girls lol
the crutons could not be overwatered and can be treat like hydroton
i could fed more if i used perlite and i like the extended time between watering and have no issues with ph .. using coco straight if you keep it too wet it can compact and slow growth but going on a wet semi dry cycle works boss . besides saving a fawk load on ferts ..

Might have to put this in action tomorrow Obs...thanks for clearing up some info and droppin more.

How long does it take that pump to fill the bed? And im assuming 50g per 4x4? I need more time between waterings...think i found it.
i don't have my notes from that grow so i don't remember how long it took but i can tell you it floods way quicker with the beds taking up so much volume . i would let it hit the drain overflow and then run it 15-20 mins to allow the center to soak up the nutrients .

Great info. Are those 200g SPs still only 20 lbs after drying post harvest, for clean up? Think you said the croutons were like 20 lbs and could fold like a taco for disposal of medium. Those aren't bad numbers to pull! I agree that I'd rather pull two runs then 110 days, unless it's a badass sativa. Keep up the good work, and it's good seeing you around the Farm again!
:passingjoint:
Cheers,
Crom
the crutons were 20-30 lbs dries post harvest and coco 4x4 beds have to be emptied by about half before you can taco it up and haul it out ..

surferbum6900

surferbum6900

i love this!! obsol33t you are the man! with in the next few days i awill be building a grow table setup!! do you like how you build yours or preffer the 200 smart pots?

also as of the material used to make smart pot i cant seem to find the thicker material that smart pots use. i can only find like the weed gaurd things that home depot has.

any info would be much appreciated

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks man. That was what I thought may have been the case. I do like the idea of simple once a week feed that is not sitting around in barrals waiting to leak or indeed recirc, which like you, I hate.

I think I shall give this a go on my next run.

Top Bottom