Coco Trees

• Thread starter deacon1503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

That's interesting- you're running a dual arc style bulb dimmed? Why?

deacon1503

deacon1503

So you meant you're running them dimmed to 750w? (not something I'd do, but if it works..)

That's interesting- you're running a dual arc style bulb dimmed? Why?

I wanted to run dual arcs and my only options at the time were 1k EYE or ushio. Most of the ballasts in that particular room are lumatek 750s. With the super lumen setting they run at about 825 watts or so but ive had no issues with my bulbs. Although it is time replace them; theyre almost 2 years old.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I see, and bet the quality is good from those lamps regardless. Thing is, its like hanging a 600w hps and 400w mh in each spot, both reduced by almost 20%.

Plantmax makes some decent 750s in both hps/mh, although not in dualarc . And venture has a 'natural white' mh with interesting spectrum. I wonder how your setup would compare with those rotated 50/50 instead? Is your spacing closer on the dual spots, are they just along the walls?

deacon1503

deacon1503

I see, and bet the quality is good from those lamps regardless. Thing is, its like hanging a 600w hps and 400w mh in each spot, both reduced by almost 20%.

Plantmax makes some decent 750s in both hps/mh, although not in dualarc . And venture has a 'natural white' mh with interesting spectrum. I wonder how your setup would compare with those rotated 50/50 instead? Is your spacing closer on the dual spots, are they just along the walls?

The spacing is pretty equal all the way around at about 48" or so. Theres about a foot or so from bulb to wall, the wall barely gets warm. I know I was thinking about it the other day regarding the 400/600 split in these 1k dual arcs. Bc of this split I wonder if u really cut down your overall intensity if u dim these dual arcs compared to a straight HPS or MH. At 60% power, these 1k dual arcs only put out 240w mh and only 360 HPS. Maybe a mix pattern of 1k mh and 1k hps would be the better route. I'm curious about this now.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Huge bushes dude. Does it smell much in there?

It tends to get kinda pungent in there yeah. I remember one run with my ECSD I thought there was a gas leak bc it smelled like petroleum so bad when I opened the door one morning.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm still pretty new to the vert. game, but I've seen precious few growers using reflectors vertically. This would seem to make a great deal of sense for vert. bulbs hung along walls, yet I never see it. Anyone know why this is?

C

crossouttheiis

Deacon. Are you feeding every 24 hours or48? What its three moisture level usually before you feed again if you don't mine taking a reading. I'm getting ready to flip some coco ladies soon.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

I'm still pretty new to the vert. game, but I've seen precious few growers using reflectors vertically. This would seem to make a great deal of sense for vert. bulbs hung along walls, yet I never see it. Anyone know why this is?
The idea is that light is emitted in all directions from the bulb. And plants are around the bulbs. The idea of hanging lights with reflectors vertically around the walls could help add lumens and weight but at a cost obviously.- Space and electric! You would have to add at least 3-4 ft to the the room in every direction and lots more lights to hang the lights on the walls to have the garden setup the same way.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The idea is that light is emitted in all directions from the bulb. And plants are around the bulbs. The idea of hanging lights with reflectors vertically around the walls could help add lumens and weight but at a cost obviously.- Space and electric! You would have to add at least 3-4 ft to the the room in every direction and lots more lights to hang the lights on the walls to have the garden setup the same way.

I don't follow your logic here. If you hung bulbs with no reflectors close to plants, you'll burn them, whether that bulb is in a reflector or not. Even if there is an additional space requirement, surely the creative grower would put the reflectors in the corners of the room to gain the distance needed?

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Imagining that If you had A. XOXOX Vs. B OXOXOXO your room would need to be larger to compensate for the "extra" lights on the wall. You could use reflectors on the bulbs that are on the walls in your typical X/O pattern. That would be beneficial. But I surely would not take the X/O pattern and line the walls with lights and the plants in the middle. It just would not be as efficient as the way we hang our bulbs already. That is all i meant. The plants usually take up the whole corner in our layout described in example A.- And if you are dialed in your plants aren't going to grow too large for your space and get burned by the lights. But if you stuck one right on the wall it would torch it. So the room would have to be larger. There could be some advantage but the way we X/O our rooms is pretty much the most efficient way to hang the bulbs for vertical lighting. I think so any way.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

I would use any extra lights for overhead lighting in addition to the vertical lights.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

You will end up with more meds now. Downside is much slow vegging. You might consider larger containers next run,if you want some trees. Also that standing water in those pans might cause some things you do not need. I set up a room for someone using 10 and 20 gal containers using a chow mix. The 20 are by far larger and with the least amount of stress. Good luck with your new system,it took me a few weeks to dial in watering 20 gal of coir since I only run rcdwc and aero. I am sure you will not look back to that other sys. Suerte JK
I am curious what kind of feed/water schedule you came up with on the 20 gal coir and what is your chow mix %coir/hydroton?

J

Jalisco Kid

I slam my plants to the wall, the bulb I used to use there I now double stack them in the row between plants. I have found bulbs on the wall get surrounded by plants and create an area of extreme heat and no ventilation.Suerte JK

ttystikk

ttystikk

I slam my plants to the wall, the bulb I used to use there I now double stack them in the row between plants. I have found bulbs on the wall get surrounded by plants and create an area of extreme heat and no ventilation.Suerte JK

Experience answers all questions eventually. Didn't think about the ventilation issue, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the heads up, Kid!

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

I started at 1 min a day but i upped it to 2 mins a day and that gave me suffcient runoff.

Good luck on the side by side i bet its a close race. When using smart pot the plants never get root bound and circle. They shoot through the felt then air prune.

Hey what size/kind of pump would you run for say 10-20 gal smart pots ? Sorry if I over looked your pump size. I am wanting to get something like going like this with my 1200 pondmaster mag drive. Is it enough? I saw that monster pump you have in the big room and that is on 9 plants right? I could water half and half with a Y shut off valve if it's too weak for 10 plants. I love coco and automation looks sweet!

Top Bottom