• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hows the fishing in your area???
Been out the last 3 days. Fishing is improving, water temps cooling.
Monday fished the gunnison from the Smith fork to the conflunce pontoon boat float. Had one of the best days on the river ever. Had the whole river to myself, saw 2 other fisherman the whole day. Incredable day, caught about a dozen fish all browns, nothing huge, had a blast, loved every minute of the day.
Really getting into streamer flies. Yesterday wet waded on private acess with green wooly buger and Autum Splendor streamers, caught 2 fish in an hour and had some nice chases and hits from some pretty big fish.
Neverhad too much luck or fished with streamers that much, now Iam hooked.
yesterday was windy, crossed river and used wind to my advantage, super long casts, drift before striping in and at the end of drift BANG!!! several hits from nice fish, as good as sex!!!
Should be great fishing the next month or so, will get out as much as possible, cant ever get enough...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Streamer junkie here man....ask Put.....im always chuckin' and duckin'.....hawg hunter!

So much fun casting with my Legend Elete St Croix 9ft 6 wt rod. Got 2 of 1 for backup.
With those streamers, I prefer the medium size bugs. Got s top of the line fly line, Sharkskin, and its so easy to cast a wrist flick with little elbow movement and the fly shoots out, very fast like a dog on a leash who runs to far if you cast tooo hard, easy does it.
Really in the mood, going to hit river everyday as garden is in, chickens butchered, got some time to work the river consective days even if only for a few casts., The more you fish the better you get...

Lets here some fishing tales. Places you fish. Pictures of catch. Ocean, river, lake, bring it on, or get your tail out on the water wherever and show us whats up in your neck of the water.....

I recall in New Zealand a friend got his front tooth knocked out by a streamer on the backcast by his father. He spit it out and kept on fishing. Ray Boyd was his name and he wet waded in his Gym Boots, high top sneakers...These guys were devoted fly fisherman.
Ray Boyd loved my Fenwick Fly Rod. He could never afford a rod like that and was too proud to accept as a gift. So I left it with Stan Tinker the barman at the Central Southland Lodge Pub in Winton New Zealand, where we drank heavly, and after I left Stan gave it to Ray and they said he cried...
South Island of New Zealand, have fished there a lot. The water is gin clear, cold glacier melt. The fishing is incredable all wild trout, very smart, 3 to 5 lbs average in some rivers. No pressure absoult paradise. A real challange as the fish are totaly wild. Some areas require team work, a spotter and fisherman. 1 or 2 casts is all you get and if you hook up the fish atr monsters....
Seas run Browns caught a 12 pounder..
Overcast today, no wind 50 degrees got to hit the river, will report...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Off to river 4 th day in a row, private access, crowd pleaser hashdude in pocket....

putembk

putembk

Better get that streamer slinging out of your system in a hurry guys. As the water temps drop so will the metabolism of fish. Meaning they need to eat less and will move less and less for a meal. A streamer imitates a small fish or crayfish that can move fast and therefor not worth the trouble in the colder water temps. Nymphs become the most effective weapon in the winter. Cannarado, when we go to the Platte next week it will be interesting to see if they will move to a streamer as the water will have cooled to the lower 40's by then.

Good thread, got choirs, more later.

coloradochem

coloradochem

Lower ark is fishing really good, big browns. Thier eating alot and goin after anything atm.

A

A20Grower

If you don't mind paying a bit, you can catch Palomino's at Boxwood Gulch or Longmeadow. I got a free trip from a vendor I work with and I had a grand slam, early October, rainbow, cutbow, brown and a palomino, and almost got a small brookie. Our guide was Kirk Deeter of Field and Stream. That part of the stream stays around 38 degrees even through the winter so it never ices over. I'd rather pay to access some nice private water than fight for a spot at the Dream Stream among dozens and dozens and dozens of others.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
3 hours on The Gunnie today , had river all to myself, 13 fish, 1 real nice 18 inch brown. All streamers water still pretty warm...
Back again tomorrow, cant resist...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Also today was takin a break puffin a dube sittin in bank with feet in ankle deep water and a fish swam within 2 feet of my feet, nice 16 incher just sat there then ran off...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hit the water at dusk or dawn and youll pull some hawg browns on those streamers Chicken. Although 18" is pretty nice!

IAM THE CHICKENMAN AND I NOT ONLY APPROVE THIS MESSAGE, WILL FOLLOW THRU AND BE FISHIN AT DAYBREAK!!!!

putembk

putembk

Last 2 weeks I have been up and down the Colorado River between byers canyon and Kremmling looking for the big spawner's. Happens once a year for the browns. This involves a lot of walking, driving and careful positioning to get a shot at these pigs. They were extremely spooky this year and once you put them down it was time to find another bed. Not many over 20" but got one or 2 a day to the net. Lots of 16 to 18 inches which is a good sign for next year.

Snowed in Denver yesterday and sadly that is the beginning of the end for me this year. I can't take the cold like I used to and will wait for the warmer days of spring next year. Have one more outing planned for early Nov and I am done. Will be tying flies for next year and telling fishing lies to get me through the winter.

I am 90% a dry fly guy. After years and years of slinging lead and streamers I have gotten particular in my old age. I now chase hatches and wait for a fish to rise. Don't catch as big or as many fish using the stubborn technique but it gives me plenty of time to sit on the bank and smoke a bowl.

I love to teach fishing and would like to see more here get involved in this amazing sport. If anybody has any questions or is in need of information ask us. There are those of us on here that would love to help and get you involved.

putembk

putembk

Good morning

Picture at my cabin this morning at dawn.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
On river at 7am, 28 degrees outside water way colder than yesterday.
Fished 15 mins, fingers numb, nothing happening got the hell out!!!!

putembk

putembk

On river at 7am, 28 degrees outside water way colder than yesterday.
Fished 15 mins, fingers numb, nothing happening got the hell out!!!!
I would have at least waited until the middle of the day. Hint: it's warmer then. Stay warm. Flushing today.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Ive always wanted to flyfish but never got around to learning although i fish with flys alot on spinning gear,either a fly and a bubble or i even troll them with a split shot about 3' up the leader and Kill with them.Unfortunately there is no local waters to flyfish in but i do take my RV to the sierras a few times a year for at least a week at a time.Fortunately i DO get to fish saltwater alot,been killing tuna,yellowtail,dorado and had a great spring snap on the big white seabass(my favorite eats) this year.Trout are pretty much catch and release for me,especially the browns and cuts,occasionally ill keep a bad bleeder but i prefer to eat a big ass filet from a seabass or tuna.
I do have an old split bamboo flyrod with 3 different tips that was given to me years ago by a friend of my dads who was a champion flycaster,its a Phillipson pacemaker and im told its pretty collectible but probably no where near the performance of some of the new stuff out now but i kinda like old things,I still bird hunt with a 1926 A.H. Fox 16 gauge,I have a bad jones for old SxS shotguns!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Headed back around noon for a few casts,,,

putembk

putembk

I have a dbl barrel 16 ga I hunted with in high school. Last time I shot it was in the 60's. Have a box of shells #8 for quail. I guess they are still good. I have to keep it at my cabin in grand co because of my grow in the foot hills above Denver. There isn't anything to hunt here except Federal Agents anyway.

Barney Dunwell

Barney Dunwell

Lol at hunting federal agents ^^ wtf?!

Been pullin 18-22 in Browns out of the middle fork/south fork of the South Platte up here in Park Cnty. Real nice size Kokannee out of the dream stream, caught on San Juan red worms and red eggs. Also landed a 20 in Cutbow on a kastmaster the other day. Cheers

Top Bottom