Commercialization of Cannabis

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Seed Buyer

The owner/founder of Vermicrop is Larry's son in law. Those two company's (GH and Vermi) became one a few years ago. I don't know why Larry just didn't leave Ross (Larrys son in law and owner of Vermicrop) in charge in stead of selling. Why not milk the cow a few more years?

starr

starr

Maybe he was kept on after the buyout? Maybe they kept some equity ya never know.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Commercialization historically has never fared well for the Mom n Pop operations/small guys. Remember how Lowes n Home Depot put tens of thousands of small hardware stores out of business. And every last one of us to some degree played a part in the demise of the small boutique hardware stores. How you say? Well with everyone wanting the best deals for the cheapest prices corporate America with the help of many administrations up on the hill devised NAFTA and no duty imports for 3rd world countries. With that came the demise of goods and commodities being manufactured here in America and opened the flood gates to cheaper goods. Companies started going offshore and set up their manufacturing operations off US soil to keep down the cost of making the goods and commodities America needed. All the while We (myself included) were loving the low prices and deals we were getting from Big Box stores. Life was good!!! Shit was cheap, but only a few realized that WE were part and parcel to the demise of manufacturing here in the US......... Look what happened to the steel and automobile industries for starters. Some parts of Michigan are now nothing but shells/ virtual ghost towns left over from the boom and bust era of American made automobiles.

Then lets look to prohibition of alcohol. I would ask how did that work out for the small guys bootlegging in the Ozarks and Appalachia's? Along came the big boys and with the lobbyist with deep pockets up on the Hill went to war against the small guys with the ATF/ Revenuers. The war against alcohol at first was a war on the organized crime leaders during the prohibition years. Then after full legalization of alcohol the war returned with a vengeance only this time is was directed at the poor and disenfranchised mountain folk that a lot of times "Shine" was their only source of income. I would like to add that it was Prohibition that was the primary cause of the "Federal Personal Income Tax" coming in to being. Once all of the saloons and bars were shuttered at the start of prohibition the Feds had to come up with a way to recoup the losses from not getting the alcohol taxes they were enjoying during the alcohol boom years.

The only good I see coming out of legalization is the War on Cannabis is coming to an end and good people wont be locked up and have their lives ruined by a drug felony conviction. Along with the realization that weed truly does have medicinal qualities.

However that is a Utopian outlook at best, as this will only be true if The Man doesn't regulate to the point that once again the war will return to protect the interests of the Big Boys of Cannabis and see any one outside the corporate structure as a threat to their bottom line. Much like what happened to the bootleggers.

Someone earlier in this thread talked about 10 years till we see full legalization. I'm not sure how long it will take, I do know this it will take as long as it takes for all of the "Key" players meaning: political, corporations, Big Pharma etc etc to get all of the infrastructure in place and then once and only then will we see full on legalization. And if you believe, in my opinion, that this bodes well for any of us common folk, you then in my mind are delusional.

And I believe in my heart that this will be the case. The craving for cheap goods by and large is like a cancer in our country. Yes as with the elite today there will always be a demand for expensive goods and commodities (yachts, caviar, yada yada) that only 1-2 % of America can afford. At the end of the day, most Americans live month to month and will gladly pay for commercial goods as long as it is cheap. And those types of folks are the vast majority of who the cannabis consumer base will be. This will allow commercial Big Box growers to flood the market with inferior goods and still make obscene profits.

In my mind, if you think that Big Corp is going to play nice and look out for the boutique growers, I would say as Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank says " I will crush you like the cockroaches you are" I believe we would be delusional to think we are going to be allowed to play nice in the same sand box. History says NOT!!! If I have offended anyone that was not my intent. I am just expressing my take and opinion on this topic.

sensicloud

sensicloud

There's just sooo many possibilities of how this could go over the next 10+ years..crazy to see it slowly happening

S

Seed Buyer

After explaining to our customers that GH has been sold to Scott many have asked for other options. We have sold little GH this week and I think this may foreshadow what is to come if other shop owners simply inform their customers about the buy out. I have not suggested my customers boycott GH most have simply been so bummed by the news they just wanna know what else they should use.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
There's just sooo many possibilities of how this could go over the next 10+ years..crazy to see it slowly happening
I would agree with you. As exciting as it is for someone like me who 1st learned of cannabis in 1970 I for one did not think I would live to see the days we are witnessing now. I fought for and prayed for a world that included cannabis. I thought the fight would never prevail and look where we are at now. :D
I also know that the power and the need to control is human nature and I am having a hard time visualizing the "Nirvana" we hippies had all hoped for in the 60's and 70's

We shall see, but again history has a way of repeating itself if nothing changes. There are many changes afoot and that's a good thing, but the one constant that isn't changing is the need for control and the cancer of greed and corruption.

P

Pimples

I was saying the same thing in a few threads yesterday, legalization is taking weed out of the regular farmers hands and putting it into big corporations hands. I'd rather just have it decriminalized so the reg farmers can still survive. What's gonna happen to all the mom and pop growers in norcal that literally live off marijuana and have their whole adult life? And anybody that doesn't have millions of dollars won't be able to make any money in the future if weed goes 100 percent legal. Fuck Obama and fuck legalization. Imagine trYing to grow tobacco to make money off of cigarettes, cus that's what it will be like for weed too in 5 years or less if we keep popping out legal states and that ducking sucks
The nor cal hippy growers made a ton of cash...in a false industry. Created by drug laws. They are the final victim of it all...ironically. I feel no sympathy for people losing thier ass...they should of saved thier money amd did something else with it. Alot of them hippy growers talked the talk while stashing stacks in thier matress anyways. Again...false industry. Inflated prices of plant material created by drug laws and enforcement. Whoever thought it would last forever...you only have yourself to blame. The future is outdoor and greenhouse...and the corner store. And most will not be making a dime off of it unless you count wage slaves loading up kilos by the truck full at processing and distribution complexes. Demand gets filled. Economy of scale dictates price through consolidation. 100 bucks a pound or even less. HUGE profit margin for any ag crop. Moreso than any ag crop in the history of commercial agriculture. And if you think "they" cant grow "artisinal" or "craft grown " (lol) ....your delusional. Besides...even if they couldn't. ..they can make concentrates. Yes Marijuana will become just another ag crop. A huge money maker. Just not ours for much longer. Iam just thankful i never went to jail and made a.shit load of coin over the last 25 years. Wish i would of saved some. Lol. Life goes on.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

The question is...if your a bonafide grower...outlaw style. What is the next cash crop? Morals be damned????

P

Pimples

Why has Heroin made such a huge comeback in recent years? Then 3rd and 4th generation cartel backed marijuana farms amd fields in central and western Mexico have been razed and replanted with...you guessed it...POPPIES. No money in imported mexican cannabis anymore. Not much anyways. Its a pretty fucked up drug...the opiates. But what ya gonna do? Iam not touching that shit...but poppies are EASY as hell to grow. Ya just need alot.of them.

icanfarm

icanfarm

I love this thread and I find I agree with many things said on both sides of the argument. I would like to say one thing though. Being almost 50 yo I remember a time when ther was only canned choices for coffee maxwell house follgers yuban sanka ect but small coffee shops sprung up and roasted and grind there beans fresh and some lasted and became big Starbucks Petes duch bros and on and on still there are small shops still with one or two location making a living paying employees ect.... all is not lost my brothers and sisters we will find our way

Top Bottom