Condensation problem...need advice.

• Thread starter KillBillBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KillBillBuds

Growing in a sealed 10 x 12 room. Noticed quite a bit of condensation buildup on the Inlet(8 inch tee) & the flexible ducting, as well as a little in the air cooled hoods. It actually dripped some on the plants...not too pleased about that! Temps outside are in the upper 40's & lower 50's....temps inside are in the mid 70's with lights on. I've got the dehumidifier running, too.

Don't know what to do about the condensation?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thx, KBB

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Too much difference in night and day temps will cause humidity to soar leaving moisture problems. Dehumidifier prolly cant catch up when moisture is replenished each time the temp changes that much. I would check to see if it is working properly though.

K

KillBillBuds

No Farmers with this experience?

Picked up some 8 inch insulated flexible ducting from the depot...we'll give it a go!

R

Rolln J

sounds like your hitting the dew point - never had that happen...

does it happen during the middle of the lights on period or more at the begining?

resinryder

resinryder

Was hoping to see an answer to this one KBB.
We both are having the the same problem Rolln J. Was in the low 30's here last night. When the cold air from outside hits the room temp duct work it literally starts dripping. The humidity has been higher than normal this week, altho it isn't really all that high compared to other parts of the country, which is adding to the problem. Every year I swap my supply side air ducts when the outside temps drop, to pull from the outside instead of the outer room I normally vent my hoods from. First time I've ever had it look like it's raining in the back of the bloom room.
Premixing the air coming into the duct work to temper it is not an option.

R

Rolln J

pulling air from your attic or another room to vent your hoods instead of the outside air is the only thing I can think of...

resinryder

resinryder

I reverted the air flow back to pulling from my outer room. My bloom room is a smaller room in a larger room. So no problems with that. Got to figure out something for KBB tho. IS NOT a good thing to see water dripping off the pipes, hehe Appreciate the input.

R

redroot

a dehumidifier will solve the problem. and also maybe a small heater too keep the temps stable over night.

P

peabody

damn!!!! just read this post after checking my space one last time. An found water drops on top of a dwc set up an yes it too was coming from the elbow just after my fan --it is the exh. try to figure it out tommorrow. as` rollin j suggested but when the temps get in the 20's what can you do. Your going to get condensation somewhere. be safe. peabody.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
u pull air from outside? can you build a lung room like a false wall and then pull air from there it should heat the air before it goes into your ducting. then the temp change wont be so dramatic.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
At the dePOT they have the insulation wrap made for ducting in big sheets. It will cut down on it and sometimes eliminate it. Dont know if you are using insulated ducting. With that being said if you add the sheets you are going to add a considerable amount of weight and lose a little space. Wrap everything in it. Reflectex you can buy at lowes (bubblewrap with mylar on both sides) is great for covering hoods. I have seen alittle of it in the winter and I ended up just non air cooling the lights I just have a fan pull through the hoods and plop down right in front of the A/C inlet. I sometimes still get it near the A/C unit (big ass window unit) which takes me just manually wiping it down with rubbing alcohol to make sure i do not get any mold growth.

Is the condensation on the outside of the hoods or the inside of the glass?

resinryder

resinryder

Both of us have a dehum running. Mine runs 24/7. Problem is the air is flowing through the hood vents, reacting and causing condensation faster than the dehum can keep up. It's a very quick air exchange. The problem only happens when the lights are on and being cooled so a heater wouldn't be an option.

J

Jalisco Kid

Lung room works for me. If not why not use an inline heater like they use for bathrooms. My option would be to move to a civilized part of the world were you do not have life risking temps.lol JK

resinryder

resinryder

Not sure about KBB but a lung room built outside sadly isn't an option I can utilize.
Even if I wrapped the duct work with insulation it would still keep the indoor ducting at room temp or warmer and would more than likely soak the insulation causing a bigger problem. At least that's my train of thought, but then again sometimes I try to think and nothing happens, hehe
And to answer another question, I did have a little condensation in the hood just before the light where the vented air enters the hood. Think KBB had some in his as well.

E

easypleasie

Has anyone tried adding a fan controller and slowing down the speed? Just seems when it's that cold, you don't need the full speed of the fan and maybe it will help reduce the amount of condensation. I have the same condensation problem and will give it a try next time it gets really cold out. This seems like it could help add some heat to the room, if needed.

J

Jalisco Kid

Can you take the heated air passed through the lights and duct it back to the beginning to mix with the cold air coming in? JK

U

ultrasonic

dehumidifier won't solve it - you're issue is not with humidity (which you do need humidity in the grow area, don't suck the water out of your plants :P)

The issue is caused by the cool dry air (outside) coming in contact with warm moist air. (your grow room) To fix it, installed insulated ducting. this will PREVENT condensation (and if you use the proper, buy-in-a-box-pre-wrapped insulation) with not "soak the insulation" since it prevents the issue.

I believe the same thing is happening to you that happens to a bottle of cold cola left out in the hot sun.

K

KillBillBuds

Thanks for all the responses...sorry I haven't been around...spent all day at my son's high school wrestling tournament yesterday.

I did disconnect the 2 rows of lights from the inlet & it is still being exhausted into the attic.
Problem I have now is the negative pressure. Even with the room door open & the 8 inch inlet, the negative pressure is making the panda lining I have covering the hardwood floor lift & have massive air pockets...it even lifted up & knocked over my empty dehumidifier! I guess I need to have even more of an inlet or reseal the lighting system.

Back to the insulated ducting...I got the preinsulated ducting, but it seems too bulky for my limited space.

I need to do some more brainstorming to figure this thing out...I am really frustrated!

Still appreciate any suggestions!

Thx, KBB

Latest posts

Top Bottom