Could Air Stones Be Doing More Harm Than Good?

• Thread starter FooDoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FooDoo

i removed the air disc and put the airpump away. Im going to leave the lid off so it can oxygenate better.

so as of now im no longer running ANY airpumps in a 16 site 8 gallon under current.

its a shame UC didnt do all this instead of me, they could have saved us all a lot of money on useless parts

mandalaman

mandalaman

i removed the air disc and put the airpump away. Im going to leave the lid off so it can oxygenate better.

so as of now im no longer running ANY airpumps in a 16 site 8 gallon under current.

its a shame UC didnt do all this instead of me, they could have saved us all a lot of money on useless parts
I've been pricing the parts from china. Quality factories but in China. Oh man. Once you're over a certain quantity the price drops to less than a dollar per bucket. More parts more justifiable... that's the cynical viewpoint.

Has anyone done this long term? Maybe they know something we don't?

mandalaman

mandalaman

And to clarify the splash back into the one main bucket is the only agitation you have going on with 16 sites? Wow! Love seeing new shit like this work. Awesome.

JMcG

JMcG

I pulled out half of my air and put a 45 degree fitting on the in flow side of my buckets. I can angle it up or down, and it seems to gently swirl the solution in the bucket quite nicely. We will see if it keeps that residue from forming on the surface.

F

FooDoo

correct, the splash in an open rez is my only aeration.

the fitting is called a "side outlet elbow" from lowes. couldnt find it home depot.

Girls are still doing fantastic. In hydro everything reacts very quickly so if removing that airpump was going to kill my girls then i would have seen some signs of distress by now

IMG 1343
IMG 1342
IMG 1339
IMG 1345
IMG 1329
IMG 1332
U

Unicorns

the fitting is called a "side outlet elbow" from lowes. couldnt find it home depot.

Girls are still doing fantastic. In hydro everything reacts very quickly so if removing that airpump was going to kill my girls then i would have seen some signs of distress by now
Just curious! Are the plants near the Epi doing better than the ones further away from EPI? Or are they all looking about the same? Roots and all.
Are you using just RO and bloom nutes now? or Are you adding something for root zone? pool shock ( uc roots ) or /and mycostop?

Last edited:
F

FooDoo

Just curious! Are the plants near the Epi doing better than the ones further away from EPI? Or are they all looking about the same? Roots and all.
Are you using just RO and bloom nutes now? or Are you adding something for root zone? pool shock ( uc roots ) or /and mycostop?

no, they are all doing exactly the same. most of the pictures posted are from the rear of the system furthest from the epi.

Just RO and fluroduo. i dont add anything. def not pool shock as that is chlorine and i wouldnt pay money for an RO system to remove chlorine from my water just to turn around and add it right back in. no mycostop either. never heard of that.

I will also make a new thread to document my attempt to switch from RO to tap. replacing the filters on my evo1000 costs the same as buying a dechlorinater and UV sterilizer kit from hydrologic.

mandalaman

mandalaman

I know that section of Lowes all too well... hahah and yes Home Depot plumbing is lacking compared to Lowes. What about diffusing the side outlet elbow ends like a shower head would that be beneficial in your opinion?

mandalaman

mandalaman

no, they are all doing exactly the same. most of the pictures posted are from the rear of the system furthest from the epi.

Just RO and fluroduo. i dont add anything. def not pool shock as that is chlorine and i wouldnt pay money for an RO system to remove chlorine from my water just to turn around and add it right back in. no mycostop either. never heard of that.

I will also make a new thread to document my attempt to switch from RO to tap. replacing the filters on my evo1000 costs the same as buying a dechlorinater and UV sterilizer kit from hydrologic.

I'd be interested in more of your thoughts on pool shock. I've been using Hypochloric acid... is it really unnecessary?

F

FooDoo

I'd be interested in more of your thoughts on pool shock. I've been using Hypochloric acid... is it really unnecessary?

pool shock is a great choice for someone looking to sterilize their system or equipment. chlorine is chlorine.

i dont "cycle" a sterilizing agent for 12 hours after my run to clean the system because its a waste of time and money. i just empty the system most of the way, spray clorox foam bleach cleaner, brush inside of every bucket, rinse, dry, refill and start the next run right away.

mandalaman

mandalaman

pool shock is a great choice for someone looking to sterilize their system or equipment. chlorine is chlorine.

i dont "cycle" a sterilizing agent for 12 hours after my run to clean the system because its a waste of time and money. i just empty the system most of the way, spray clorox foam bleach cleaner, brush inside of every bucket, rinse, dry, refill and start the next run right away.

Yes but my question is hypochloric acid/pool shock/clear Rez whatever, I'm currently using in my Rez along with the nutes. Are you saying that's unnecessary ?

JMcG

JMcG

More surface area exposed to oxygen.
Well that makes sense. I guess I was thinking the stronger stream of water from a single source would " push" deeper into the solution would create a larger fluming effect. Larger surface area would do it too.

Top Bottom