Could my blurple be better than a full spectrum?

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
lol. In the 80’s at Atco speedway in new jersey there was a torqued up fiero with a blower that could easily beat a ferrari. It beat the twin turbo race ready buick grand national that was there. A national winner. These are 9 second street cars.
Fieros were ridiculous, but so much fun. My sisters boyfriend almost died in one in an accident.

Seriously though i wish i could afford to light my 8x8 with Gavita LEDs but damn... I cant get over the sticker shock on that one. Just cant do it yet... Maybe someday. I do have plans to downsize and use my shed for both pot and mushrooms, so maybe once im in a tent... Till then. HID wins the day. Its done me well for a long time. But there is no debate any longer that better tech exists. Just wish it wasnt priced out of the market for me.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

He doesn't only test them at 14.5 inches. He tests at the perfect high where the highest ppfd is 1000 right at the center.

that gives him a standard baseline but not where the light was made to be hung necessarily. So the stats are still wrong.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Fieros were ridiculous, but so much fun. My sisters boyfriend almost died in one in an accident.

Seriously though i wish i could afford to light my 8x8 with Gavita LEDs but damn... I cant get over the sticker shock on that one. Just cant do it yet... Maybe someday. I do have plans to downsize and use my shed for both pot and mushrooms, so maybe once im in a tent... Till then. HID wins the day. Its done me well for a long time. But there is no debate any longer that better tech exists. Just wish it wasnt priced out of the market for me.

me too. I am going to replace bulbs again.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

He doesn't only test them at 14.5 inches. He tests at the perfect high where the highest ppfd is 1000 right at the center.
No dude I'm not shitting on the light... 1000% will work for a 2x2 and very well. Im saying they claim a 2.7 efficacy and thats just a boldface liie... unless its a sphere test but even then I'm skeptical. It's absolutely capable and very solid number at that height in a 2x2.

A classic example of what I was saying about the Chinese lights... I would absolutely use them but personally not buy them.

I just have a hard time believing they put out more ppfd per watt than hlg but that doesn't mean they don't work

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
me too. I am going to replace bulbs again.
The shitty thing is even if i was starting over clean with a new build, Id likely still go with HPS just due to setup costs. Especially since its so cold here for most of my growing season. I like the inefficient heat biproduct lol.

Nah im just justifying it again 🤣

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The shitty thing is even if i was starting over clean with a new build, Id likely still go with HPS just due to setup costs. Especially since its so cold here for most of my growing season. I like the inefficient heat biproduct lol.

Nah im just justifying it again 🤣

the heat thing is a real concern in my room too. But my ceilings are too low for double ended hps so what do ya do?

happynessistheway

happynessistheway

@ Aqua Man is there a problem with using a lux meter with Burples?
Yes Luxmeters are for human perception like in rick n morty human music i like it human eyes love greens, cyans and yellows being purpleblue (royal blue) and far red 700nm the last lights you can percieve (but worst)
Plants exactly utilize that powers.
green still (somewhat) important up to 4% (stem elongation !If to much germination inhibition) but 2nd highest canopy penetration and photosynthesis after Far Red
Technicly sadly you would need by nowadays market a quantum flux sensor and ideally UVB and IR extension and evaluation but $$$$ xD
only evaluate by real power consumption out of the wall

Why add more power for no more light? A higher efficacy light with a good heatsink. IMO if you need forced cooling for a light I would walk right by it.
Dude i study Engineering and Heatsinks should be placed accourdingly on about 80% of shit today
even Phones man.
If i am keeping 44x 8 Watts around just sitting heat in a shitty aluminum heatsink like most (dont let me start on standard Thermal compund solutions in Tech)
Just Google Mac Air 2019 Thermal issue dissassambly. one side fan one side alu cooler no connection device overheats while watching videos and moving it.
just an example.
As much as i dont like standing air and fast dyng diodes.
LED can handle up to 90°C - 95°C but shouldnt ideally.
The les heat there is the closer you can get them to plants without burning which is a big + imho
If you cool Your LEDs activly (dont have to be loud neither) you can get higher efficiency with less resistance in lower temps.
I see most cooling solutions underpowered, just my 2cents of elecrical nerd advice and LONGLIVITY you pay $$$ for xxxWatts keep it alive man use Arctic Silver Thermal its best and it sticks copper plates to heavy coolers withut issues lol (can use it in PC tech too) [only if you never want to remove that shit again like GPU repaste for rest of times]

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes Luxmeters are for human perception like in rick n morty human music i like it human eyes love greens, cyans and yellows being purpleblue (royal blue) and far red 700nm the last lights you can percieve (but worst)
Plants exactly utilize that powers.
green still (somewhat) important up to 4% (stem elongation !If to much germination inhibition) but 2nd highest canopy penetration and photosynthesis after Far Red
Technicly sadly you would need by nowadays market a quantum flux sensor and ideally UVB and IR extension and evaluation but $$$$ xD
only evaluate by real power consumption out of the wall

Dude i study Engineering and Heatsinks should be placed accourdingly on about 80% of shit today
even Phones man.
If i am keeping 44x 8 Watts around just sitting heat in a shitty aluminum heatsink like most (dont let me start on standard Thermal compund solutions in Tech)
Just Google Mac Air 2019 Thermal issue dissassambly. one side fan one side alu cooler no connection device overheats while watching videos and moving it.
just an example.
As much as i dont like standing air and fast dyng diodes.
LED can handle up to 90°C - 95°C but shouldnt ideally.
The les heat there is the closer you can get them to plants without burning which is a big + imho
If you cool Your LEDs activly (dont have to be loud neither) you can get higher efficiency with less resistance in lower temps.
I see most cooling solutions underpowered, just my 2cents of elecrical nerd advice and LONGLIVITY you pay $$$ for xxxWatts keep it alive man use Arctic Silver Thermal its best and it sticks copper plates to heavy coolers withut issues lol (can use it in PC tech too) [only if you never want to remove that shit again like GPU repaste for rest of times]

If they go and start cooling electronics properly we will never need to replace them. ;-)

happynessistheway

happynessistheway

Thats
If they go and start cooling electronics properly we will never need to replace them. ;-)
why i repaste my PC laptop and shit :D i will get myself some rapi for pihole will be amazing with oled 4k lol
offtopic sorry
Yes you wont replace your led in next 20years if you keep em dry and under 60°C and your plants will love you for it
just know lots of terpenes just start to evaporates at 30°C and substantionally increasing.

Love you Guys Have a nice one Chocolate Out playing some BF4 :D

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thats

why i repaste my PC laptop and shit :D i will get myself some rapi for pihole will be amazing with oled 4k lol
offtopic sorry
Yes you wont replace your led in next 20years if you keep em dry and under 60°C and your plants will love you for it
just know lots of terpenes just start to evaporates at 30°C and substantionally increasing.

Love you Guys Have a nice one Chocolate Out playing some BF4 :D

Glad you stopped in with your perspective. :-)

beluga

beluga

LED tech is moving forward. By the time you burn them out using the common practice, the next iteration will be cheaper than what you bought yours for.
There's no reason to keep LEDs around for 20 years, let alone 5. I get the technicality behind it, but I don't see the practicality behind it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

LED tech is moving forward. By the time you burn them out using the common practice, the next iteration will be cheaper than what you bought yours for.
There's no reason to keep LEDs around for 20 years, let alone 5. I get the technicality behind it, but I don't see the practicality behind it.

for the money they have decided is retail they better last 5-10 years or they are overpriced by 3x.

Anthem

Anthem

With LED lights like the HLG Diablo we are reaching numbers over the DLI of the plant. As the DLI increases the needs of the plant increase to the point to were it becomes increasingly difficult to keep up with the needs of the plant. LED tech will continue to grow but the plant has its limitations of about 40 MOLs per day.

beluga

beluga

With LED lights like the HLG Diablo we are reaching numbers over the DLI of the plant. As the DLI increases the needs of the plant increase to the point to were it becomes increasingly difficult to keep up with the needs of the plant. LED tech will continue to grow but the plant has its limitations of about 40 MOLs per day.
Yeah... at which point, I'm guessing you're then just getting into spectral range and life of the LEDs.
I haven't seen (nor looked for) much in the way of how LEDs perform over time and what kind of degradation you see... but, I assume it's like anything else. Especially in the realm of semiconductors.

beluga

beluga

for the money they have decided is retail they better last 5-10 years or they are overpriced by 3x.
I should probably clarify that my point of reference is DIY.
In the scenario I'm giving, replacing a set of strips for an upgrade is probably in the ballpark of $0.50/W... likely much less. Assuming you don't have to replace your driver or frame... you can really stretch your investment.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I should probably clarify that my point of reference is DIY.
In the scenario I'm giving, replacing a set of strips for an upgrade is probably in the ballpark of $0.50/W... likely much less. Assuming you don't have to replace your driver or frame... you can really stretch your investment.

I have been waiting and watching old version parts go for a third of original price. Next year i can probably afford the f strips. I dont mind being 2 steps back with led anymore.

beluga

beluga

I have been waiting and watching old version parts go for a third of original price. Next year i can probably afford the f strips. I dont mind being 2 steps back with led anymore.
Completely agree. Cost analysis-wise, it's kinda silly to get the latest, greatest.
There's plenty to work with in old gen stuff with a little tweaking of technique.

Such as NOT growing giant bushes in an aero system... 🤦‍♂️

Top Bottom