crimping...a lost technique?

• Thread starter mastacheeser
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spinkus

l'm with you about against the instincts :)

Man it just looks crazy croppin' a bud top that far along into flower!

Can't wait to see what they do man

S

smokestack23

OK...I'll play the pessimistic smartassed asshole.

So "crimping" is just LST or supercropping but if done in flowering it's called crimping?
This method is nothing new. Usually (as you all know..just being the dick here lol) you do it to encourage lateral growth or to control height in veg before flower and it's much less stressful (faster recovery) than just "pinching" or removing the top "shoot".

It would be nice to see a sideXside to see if it's actually beneficial to do late in flower. I would guess that the (less than cutting) stress doesn't actually help the plant but rather will slow it down a bit??

That said...I have a few that last week were in week 6 and I had some tops getting WAY too close to the light and started foxtailing. I "crimped" them to get them out of the way. They took it very well and began to bend the tips back torward the light the next day. It was better than chopping them right off...but...I didn't see any difference in that plant compared to the others. Like that plant didnn't explode or produce any (more) massive lateral growth or anything.

So yeah...I'm all for LSTing in veg on some strains (some will produce more if left alone) to control height and to produce more lateral growth but late in flowering...unless it's necessary..or...until I see some proof...I'm gonna stay away from the idea.
Just my two cents.

I like to debate. Even if I believe one side of an argument I'll pick the other side to try to punch holes in my theory..or to see if there are any holes in my theory.
So it isnt that I don't believe you guys..I'm more just trying to get someone to prove me wrong. Hey..I'm the LAST person who doesnt want to know how to improve on what I'm doing. If something is shown to work...I'm in. I'm not THAT much of an idiot.

PEACE and thanks for sharing.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

That shouldn't be to hard of a role for you to adapt to.. :giggle
just playing mang:joint:

How much crimping is to much? can anyone with experience explain Is there a point of diminishing returns if overdone. :joint:

kaigan

kaigan

smokestack 23 said
That said...I have a few that last week were in week 6 and I had some tops getting WAY too close to the light and started foxtailing. I "crimped" them to get them out of the way. They took it very well and began to bend the tips back torward the light the next day. It was better than chopping them right off...but...I didn't see any difference in that plant compared to the others. Like that plant didnn't explode or produce any (more) massive lateral growth or anything.

question... what is foxtailing?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

27a.jpg

where the buds stretch like a foxtail

it can be caused by stress, or it can be a genetic trait

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

It would be nice to see a sideXside to see if it's actually beneficial to do late in flower. I would guess that the (less than cutting) stress doesn't actually help the plant but rather will slow it down a bit??

super easy to do a side by side for yourself
pick a lady with two similar tops, crimp one and dont crimp the other
ive only tried it on 4 strains (3 of which were og) but the ladies are LOVING it so far

S

smokestack23

Originally Posted by smokestack23

That shouldn't be to hard of a role for you to adapt to..
just playing mang

I know right? lol.
It's nice when we can joke and not offend each other.

But..you're right...it isnt a hard role for me to play. Like I said..I just like to argue. It helps me learn. Plus...if we're talking arguments...it's always best to know what the "oponent" is gonna say and the best way to do that is to question your own side..like the oponent will. For example...if you're gonna debate for legalizing weed..you BETTER know what points the other side is gonna say.

ANYWAY...I have a batch that are like <2 weeks from chop. They're just ripening now so that wouldn't be a good option for an A/B test. I have another batch that's in week 3 of flower.
I have several large plants of the same strain, about equal size, same room (obviously) etc. Maybe I'll "crimp" one of the tops of one and not on the others and see what happens.
anyone got any suggestions as to how late I should do it? I guess we're shooting for "almost" too late?
The strain is BigBudXWhitewidow. I'm thinking it's an 8-9 weeker.
Holla back

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

one of the strains that i crimped alot of is 3 weeks from chop. Da shit loved it. everything i crimped stayed bent over and everything underneith exploded(og)

one of the strains is three weeks into flower. this one will recover fully in 48 hours(tops will be pointing straight twards the light again)(og)

2 other strains are right in the middle(blue dream and og) the blue dream was very intresting. since the nodes are stacked a lil closer at the top than the og are, i acutally busted 3-4 buds in seperate directions creating 3-4 different tops instead of just the 1

im hoping to just do this once per flower cycle, but the dude that showed me did it every 2-3 weeks

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
I did it on my last crop at about the 5th week and it deff made the buds on those branches huge so it deff works in flower from my experience any way I thought it was strange to but a fellow grower I respect and trust told me to do so and every grow I've seen of his has Ben amazing so I did it to control the level of my canopy and it ended up helping my yield quite a bit so it was a bonus but I'm sure some strains like it more than others .

G

gooey

concur with HK...helps alot on low yielding kush strains where you get that nice top but then a inch or two till the next bud, crimp after the first nug and you shorten the distance to the next connection, love it, wish i crimped more lol

S

smokestack23

OK well fuck it.
Like I said..I have 3 plants in week 3 of flower. I'll crimp the shit out of one of them (well..just the big tallest tops) and see what happens. At worst, I know it won't hurt too much. As I mentioned, I do do it..just not usually late in flower.

On the one from the batch that's in week 7 that keeps frickin foxtailing and blasting into the light, I'm gonna crimp the shit out of that one too. It CAN'T possibly hurt that one.

BUT...I hope that you guys mean that it'll make the lower buds fatter as opposed to make MORE lower growth. Man..these things are SO thick and full and loaded that I don't want..or can't have..ANY more lateral or lower growth. I want them to slow down .

This is my first run with these strains (I'm running 2) and I didn't expect them to stretch so much. By the time I found out...out was too late.
I was running a blueberry strain prior that stretched quite a bit and I had it dialed. I was certain that these strains were going to stretch less but man..was I mistaken.

I have the nutes and room dialed for these strains...and my next batch to go in will be much smaller plants so I'll be back in "hi-pro" mode again.
It's a great time to experiment a little since these things are so stupid anyway but yeah...I sure hope crimping them makes the actual plants fill out any more. There's simply NO room for that to happen.

I'll post the results though.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

fucking go for it man!

at the very least your exposing some new buds to light
have the tape and string ready, i got a lil carried away my first time

S

smokestack23

String..frick..for some reason my wife talked me into not caging these biatches. I burned through the last bit of twine on a 200'roll last night. I counted 18 strings coming off one plant. 'm gonna start shopping for bulk deals on hooks and string. Frick!

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

String..frick..for some reason my wife talked me into not caging these biatches. I burned through the last bit of twine on a 200'roll last night. I counted 18 strings coming off one plant. 'm gonna start shopping for bulk deals on hooks and string. Frick!

you'll b ok w/o it.
i always assume im guna fuck something up lol

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
hummmmm

just in the last couple days it become fairly obvious that this is a very good technique. the stuff i thought for sure i just busted off turned out to show the most obvious improvement. this is basically against all my instincts as a farmer but god dam
sorry pics are crap, just trying to give people a general jist. pics are of larry og. the blue dream seems to be loving it as well
View attachment 157525

View attachment 157526

read somewhere that when you crimp the stem the plant sends all the help it can to that injury and inturn the cloa above the SC will get more nutes :hi

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
read somewhere that when you crimp the stem the plant sends all the help it can to that injury and inturn the cloa above the SC will get more nutes :hi

that would be my observation

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
SE, read the following. :)
OK well fuck it.
Like I said..I have 3 plants in week 3 of flower. I'll crimp the shit out of one of them (well..just the big tallest tops) and see what happens. At worst, I know it won't hurt too much. As I mentioned, I do do it..just not usually late in flower.

On the one from the batch that's in week 7 that keeps frickin foxtailing and blasting into the light, I'm gonna crimp the shit out of that one too. It CAN'T possibly hurt that one.

BUT...I hope that you guys mean that it'll make the lower buds fatter as opposed to make MORE lower growth. Man..these things are SO thick and full and loaded that I don't want..or can't have..ANY more lateral or lower growth. I want them to slow down
At week 3, not gonna work that way, they may still have some stretch left in them. Week 7 is a little late to apply the technique (that I've always called supercropping) if it's an 8 or 9 week strain. Better around weeks 4-5, IMO/IME. When applied during that time and beyond then the buds that are now exposed to the light AND are (or should be) closer to the height of what were the top buds will fatten up.
This is my first run with these strains (I'm running 2) and I didn't expect them to stretch so much. By the time I found out...out was too late.
I was running a blueberry strain prior that stretched quite a bit and I had it dialed. I was certain that these strains were going to stretch less but man..was I mistaken.
Maybe this isn't saying much (give it time) but so far I have not run any strain related to any Blueberry that hasn't shown serious stretch, especially in those first two weeks.
I have the nutes and room dialed for these strains...and my next batch to go in will be much smaller plants so I'll be back in "hi-pro" mode again.
It's a great time to experiment a little since these things are so stupid anyway but yeah...I sure hope crimping them makes the actual plants fill out any more. There's simply NO room for that to happen.

I'll post the results though.
Not just crimping/supercropping, but removing those bud sites that have the least potential, will really help improve where the plant spends its energies.

What helped me best get my head wrapped around the concept was when I looked into Medjool date farming techniques. Dateland date harvest and tutorial with pictures.

Top Bottom