crimping...a lost technique?

• Thread starter mastacheeser
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

A.Sherman

I notice yellowing of the leaves above the crimped site, is that normal, 5.5 weeks flower. Should nitrogen be foliar sprayed or something?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've never had yellowing happen that way unless the xylem has been interrupted much. You can try feeding more nitrogen, but I would go really easy at this point in flower.

When you supercrop/crimp, you want to make sure the xylem (that thinner than paper-thin outer covering of the stalk) doesn't get scraped off or cut across. It's the plant's circulation system and once that happens, if it's sufficient to cut off circulation to the part of the plant that it feeds it will kill that part of the plant as surely as cutting it off will.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
yes sir

You guys are doing this during flower?-SE

the plant will recover too quick in veg except like last week of veg it helps stop streatch gets light to lower buds and were you super crop the colas above it will get more nutes:hi

S

smokestack23

Well...I "crimped" a couple of tops on one plant last night. They're only in week 3. I left it's sister alone as well as it's non related step sister. (I have 2 bigbudXwhitewidow and 1 cheesexhaze..crimped one of the BBxWW).

All 3 are about the same size and shape, same age, sharing a res, and in the same room beside each other. They all get about the same light so it SHOULD be a DECENT sideXside.
I'll post results as the differences make themselves noticeable.

This will be interesting.

N

Ne Obliviscaris

This is a great thread. As I said I always crimp in veg to increase the number of colas, but I've just flipped some kush into flower and I will be crimping in a few weeks, which I've never before done in flower. I appreciate the knowledge on here, and I'll report back once I have results.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
I 'crimp' in veg to increase the # of branches (what commonly gets referred to as 'supercropping' on here), but I've never done it 4 weeks into flower. Does it actually increase bud growth? I always assumed that once the plants had flipped it wouldnt necesarily be a good thing as it would promote growth in another branch instead of promoting flower development. Am I incorrect on this?

removing alot of sunleaves in the right places will also greatly increase branching along with toping:hi

just in the last couple days it become fairly obvious that this is a very good technique. the stuff i thought for sure i just busted off turned out to show the most obvious improvement. this is basically against all my instincts as a farmer but god dam
sorry pics are crap, just trying to give people a general jist. pics are of larry og. the blue dream seems to be loving it as well
View attachment 157525

View attachment 157526

I read that where you crimp or super crop the plant takes that as a destress call and sends more nutes to that area so inturn buds above SC will get turbo charged as you have seen:hi

audius

audius

i would love to try this but how do i do it correctly? as to all things theres a right way & a wrong. i have some ladys going threw there flip stage & from wwhat im reading,it might b a damm god time to learn this as the plants are not showing flowers yet.so some step by step pics would b awsome. i dont have a canopy controll problim , cuz i scrog but ,if theres some magic trick to get more buds i want to learn it.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
no

I notice yellowing of the leaves above the crimped site, is that normal, 5.5 weeks flower. Should nitrogen be foliar sprayed or something?

is the outer skin of the stem still intact?
do you pinch the stem all the way around till it makes a poping sound?
then bending it over( u can also control where it stays when it heals if while she heals and the limb lifts back up tie her back to herself below the super croping the callus if tied in the middle of the healing process will stay at that angle if let fully heal then untied this opens up the plant more IME

if you dont pinch it the inner channels for fluid transfer can break and injur the plant alittle more than wanted this might be why u have yellowing

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
i would love to try this but how do i do it correctly? as to all things theres a right way & a wrong. i have some ladys going threw there flip stage & from wwhat im reading,it might b a damm god time to learn this as the plants are not showing flowers yet.so some step by step pics would b awsome. i dont have a canopy controll problim , cuz i scrog but ,if theres some magic trick to get more buds i want to learn it.
the only thing you can do is both SCROG + SC but the scrog should give right at or just as good yealds:hi

or u could LST+SC+SCROG:nod

S

SLO Grown

Just yesterday I had to crimp one of my 9' tall C-Gold. MJ is a tough plant, bend her, pinch her, crimp her, what ever and she still loves you.....

N

Ne Obliviscaris

Reviving this great thread.

OK, so i said i would report back in a few weeks, and as usual i was off by a factor of about 10, but thats given me a fair amount of runs experimenting with crimping 3-4 weeks into flower. I run my flower room in a 75 day perpetual flower with three rotations so every 25 days i harvest a batch and a new batch of plants goes into the flower room, and they stay for a total of 75 days. I am a total convert to 3 week crimping, I;ve seen about a 20% increase in production and there seems to be an increase not just in the branching, but also in the total number of nodes per cola, resulting in fewer 'patchy' (where you can see the main stem through areas of the cola). I've had several runs now that I've crimped late and its been pretty consistant, and I havent changes anything major about the room besides the crimping so thats what I attribute it to.

Props again to mastercheeser for the great piece of growing knowledge.

Top Bottom