Critique/modify My Cloning Solution

• Thread starter Vonkins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vonkins

Vonkins

Do you see how it is used? ....you skin the side about 1/2inch up...then cut your 45..ALL UNDER WATER..then dip and go.

This was not done under water because its an example for you... and i just threw it away
Ok, that's awesome! Thanks for taking the time out of ur day to help me. Do u clip it longer from the plant. Do u make a 2nd cut under water to shorten it and get ur 45 angle

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
So plain ole tap water should be fine until roots start developing. Im trying to keep it as simple as possible. See I do listen to what you guys suggest.
Ph your tap. What is it?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Ok, that's awesome! Thanks for taking the time out of ur day to help me. Do u clip it longer from the plant. Do u make a 2nd cut under water to shorten it and get ur 45 angle
I take small cuts..you take whatever you feel comfortable with...remember the stem is a straw....you need to keep that fresh cut under water till dip or youll get xylem cavitation.

For you.... take a long cut...then take an inch off the stem(under water) and then start the process

Vonkins

Vonkins

I take small cuts..you take whatever you feel comfortable with...remember the stem is a straw....you need to keep that fresh cut under water till dip or youll get xylem cavitation.

For you.... take a long cut...then take an inch off the stem(under water) and then start the process
Thats exactly what I thought. Cause its literally impossible to make the first cut underwater unless u submerge ur mother while cutting. Lol

Vonkins

Vonkins

Does not matter the cloning technique or how many solutions you want to throw at them....OPEN CELLS PROPERLY...finesse bud
Do u scrape all around the entire stem or just on one side

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Please explain how tons of people root clones on 24/7. I believe demontrich, who is well known, claims to have been using the same cloner for over 4 yrs running them all 24/7 with excellent results. I'm almost positive ur not going to suggest something I haven't tried. When someone does suggest something intelligent and supportive that I haven't tried then that's probably gonna be the answer. I changed the timer last night. I'm pessimistic right now but I'll give it a try just like I have in the past. In the past my problem was the res temp. Now I'm around 68 degress. I GREATLY appreciate all the suggestions but I have tried them all. My rez can' be any cleaner. I thought the only ticket to aerocloning is cleanliness. Obviously not.
Because there's so many ways to do it, you're never gonna hear an answer you want to hear, just suggestions from other guys on here. I guess I gave my advice and @DemonTrich thats the method that works for him. I didn't say anything was wrong with it, that he shouldn't have it 24/7, I just gave you what works for me. You've got plenty of options here dude something's gonna work

Vonkins

Vonkins

Because there's so many ways to do it, you're never gonna hear an answer you want to hear, just suggestions from other guys on here. I guess I gave my advice and @DemonTrich thats the method that works for him. I didn't say anything was wrong with it, that he shouldn't have it 24/7, I just gave you what works for me. You've got plenty of options here dude something's gonna work
Thanks for helping brother. Your time is precious.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Rhino is who turned me on to using the recycle timer. Just like he said, my cuttings were not pushing out roots because they were probably getting too much water & not having to grow to reach the water & get a drink. Within 5 days of being on the timer I started getting roots.

I use plain tap water, 1 oz of 30% h202, no ph (I never ph anything).

I had a bad experience with too much bleach. To be honest that pic with all the suds in your cloner is how the water looked with the batch I almost killed. I changed the water twice to clean the bleach residue & they were so happy to be outta that stuff. I've since stopped using bleach & only use 30% h202.

P

PharmHand

My suggestion would be to go buy some jiffys ,a tray and dome. Rapid rooters work well too. Cut a set stick em in your aero cloner. Cut another set and stick em in the jiffys. Cut another few and drop em in a glass of water. See which one roots faster/ comes out better in YOUR specific environment. I've made a lot of clones over the years and jiffys or rapid rooters really are the easiest/best imo. Had a couple goes at the turbo cloner but it really isn't worth the extra cleaning and maintaining effort imo. The most important factors in cloning are temperature, humidity and air to water ratio of medium. 72-80f ,80-90%rh and 50% air to water ratio in medium seem to turn out the best results for me. If your room meets those criteria you won't even need a dome. One or two fluorescent tubes at 1-2' away is sufficient for light. Too much light makes your babies look yellow and ugly before they're rooted. Too much humidity causes brown edges or rot/mold issues- too hot or cold does a similar thing. Too dry makes them droopy.... Even a short time in not ideal conditions will delay rooting, some more than others.

Beneath the bark there's a layer of tissue known as the cambium layer- that's where the roots emerge from. Whether you scrape the bark to expose it, cut on an angle, make an x in the end of the stem w a razor, cut off nodes and have the exposed hole below the medium line, or simply make a straight cut the roots come from that layer that is exposed. More exposed more potential root sites. For fastest results,expose the layer, dip in hormone( I use the cheap iba powder for soft wood cuttings), stick in medium that is holding approximately 50/50 air to water or aero cloner and maintain the ideal conditions. You should see roots in less than a week for MOST strains. Some take a little longer. If you have a particularly cunty strain to root it might help to make your final cuts under water as has been said. If you use a tray n dome don't over pack it. If it holds 50, put in 25 cuts- they will finish much prettier I find. And you can take bigger cuts....

Experiment. Try it all. See what works best for you. It will give you a much better understanding of the process. Good luck. Happy growing :)

Vonkins

Vonkins

My suggestion would be to go buy some jiffys ,a tray and dome. Rapid rooters work well too. Cut a set stick em in your aero cloner. Cut another set and stick em in the jiffys. Cut another few and drop em in a glass of water. See which one roots faster/ comes out better in YOUR specific environment. I've made a lot of clones over the years and jiffys or rapid rooters really are the easiest/best imo. Had a couple goes at the turbo cloner but it really isn't worth the extra cleaning and maintaining effort imo. The most important factors in cloning are temperature, humidity and air to water ratio of medium. 72-80f ,80-90%rh and 50% air to water ratio in medium seem to turn out the best results for me. If your room meets those criteria you won't even need a dome. One or two fluorescent tubes at 1-2' away is sufficient for light. Too much light makes your babies look yellow and ugly before they're rooted. Too much humidity causes brown edges or rot/mold issues- too hot or cold does a similar thing. Too dry makes them droopy.... Even a short time in not ideal conditions will delay rooting, some more than others.

Beneath the bark there's a layer of tissue known as the cambium layer- that's where the roots emerge from. Whether you scrape the bark to expose it, cut on an angle, make an x in the end of the stem w a razor, cut off nodes and have the exposed hole below the medium line, or simply make a straight cut the roots come from that layer that is exposed. More exposed more potential root sites. For fastest results,expose the layer, dip in hormone( I use the cheap iba powder for soft wood cuttings), stick in medium that is holding approximately 50/50 air to water or aero cloner and maintain the ideal conditions. You should see roots in less than a week for MOST strains. Some take a little longer. If you have a particularly cunty strain to root it might help to make your final cuts under water as has been said. If you use a tray n dome don't over pack it. If it holds 50, put in 25 cuts- they will finish much prettier I find. And you can take bigger cuts....

Experiment. Try it all. See what works best for you. It will give you a much better understanding of the process. Good luck. Happy growing :)
Excellent post brother!

Vonkins

Vonkins

Rhino is who turned me on to using the recycle timer. Just like he said, my cuttings were not pushing out roots because they were probably getting too much water & not having to grow to reach the water & get a drink. Within 5 days of being on the timer I started getting roots.

I use plain tap water, 1 oz of 30% h202, no ph (I never ph anything).

I had a bad experience with too much bleach. To be honest that pic with all the suds in your cloner is how the water looked with the batch I almost killed. I changed the water twice to clean the bleach residue & they were so happy to be outta that stuff. I've since stopped using bleach & only use 30% h202.
I have food grade 35% h202. How much h202 should I use per gallon of water. Gonna do a rez change tonight. Definitely water. I do have a bag of hth poolshock also. Which would be better in your opinion? I've read peroxide is really only beneficial when using seedlings because it loses some chemical property really fast. I'm no chemist so don't quote me. Poolshock/clear res is supposed to be good to. It' a toss up. What yall think.

Last edited:
Dbear180

Dbear180

I have food grade 35% h202. How much h202 should I use per gallon of water. Gonna do a rez change tonight. Definitely water. I do have a bag of hth poolshock also. Which would be better in your opinion? I've read peroxide is really only beneficial when using seedlings because it loses some chemical property really fast. I'm no chemist so don't quote me. Poolshock/clear res is supposed to be good to. It' a toss up. What yall think.

1oz 30% h202 every 3-5 days in my 32s or the 64. They both use about 5 gal of water. Change it once every two weeks same formula. I saved a real slimy batch with the h202 before & I've never looked back at "clear rez". I've never made my own pool shock solution so I can't help you there.

What I can say tho is ever since I discovered the uses for 30% h202, cleaning, contamination, & cloning have become much less of an issue for me.

Jonny Rosin

Jonny Rosin

I use a 32 site ez cloner. I fill it with about 6gallons of tap water and 25 ml each of canna a,b,cannazym and rhizotonic. About .75 ec ph to 5.8. I take about 5inch clones and like to shave at the node and cut a 45 on the other side. Then dip into cloning gel for a minute. I get a 100% every time. Been using the same machine for a year and I just follow the cleaning instructions on the box. I use just a 54wt t5 bulb and the temp of the room is 72-77. Hope that helps.

Vonkins

Vonkins

1oz 30% h202 every 3-5 days in my 32s or the 64. They both use about 5 gal of water. Change it once every two weeks same formula. I saved a real slimy batch with the h202 before & I've never looked back at "clear rez". I've never made my own pool shock solution so I can't help you there.

What I can say tho is ever since I discovered the uses for 30% h202, cleaning, contamination, & cloning have become much less of an issue for me.
Will give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the insight

brazel

brazel

Let's forget about everything we learned from advertising! Was cloning hormones sold before cloning was discovered!? If a clone needs additional help.. is it strong or weak? How does air laying work? Ask simple questions! Is there warnings on clonex? Why would that be!? If your clones take longer to root are they bad or are the ones that need hormones? Step back, look, ask, observe

brazel

brazel

A razor blade slices, scissors cut, a hammer smashes, air laying does none... what do they all have in common?
Why do new roots grow?

Latest posts

Top Bottom