Crop K. Seeds Black Domina 4x4 DWC

• Thread starter ninjadip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ninjadip

ninjadip

Quite interesting about the bloom boosters. So, if I were to use double servings of pink from pistils-flush, instead of koolbloom, I could get the same or better results as using a bloom booster? Mind=Blown.

Yeah he blew my mind too!
Makes total sense, every ingredient in koolbloom is already in the bloom nutes... They got me too lol now we know better

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yeah he blew my mind too!
Makes total sense, every ingredient in koolbloom is already in the bloom nutes... They got me too lol now we know better
Its all good grow bros I had to figure this out the hard way. Just paying it forward in hopes you will too.

If I don't make it back tonight to reply to the above I'll reserve coffee time to answer you guys. Or gals, IDK. Probably dudes seems like ladies don't get all techy like this, most seem to just intuit how to keep a plant alive that wants to all on its own lol. Sometimes we make this shit too complicated. Dinner and a movie with the lady now.

Zombierider

Zombierider

@ninjadip I exhaust the air from my room outside...is this a bad thing? Haha holy crap Im gonna end up totally redoing my entire setup from this one series of questions were asking Moe haha. I dont care about smell cuz Im out in the country, but if there is some other reason not exhausting to the outside is best...Im all ears 🤓

Zombierider

Zombierider

i know us farmers put a lot of demand on you lol thanks for always helpin tho

so i believe i am one of the only ones on here that uses GH FloraNova over the 3 part. I was just looking up what the differences might be between them but they are nearly identical when you combine the ingredients of the floramicro w/ florabloom to the one part Floranova Bloom. I do find it interesting, while i was rummaging around the GH website, i saw that they classify what i'm using FloraNova series as a hybrid. I did not know that. I wonder if that is where the distinguishing difference lies. I'm assuming that the 3-part is 0% organic?

View attachment 1310042
Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go hydro vs coco? The reason I chose coco over hydro is cuz it seems a bit less complicated, just gotta maintain the ph in the res which is pretty easy ( though since Ive been using Armor Si, my PH rises quickly. I wonder if there is some sort of additive I could use to naturally lower/stabilize the PH? Without armor si I never even checked ph cuz it stayed 6.0).

ninjadip

ninjadip

@ninjadip I exhaust the air from my room outside...is this a bad thing? Haha holy crap Im gonna end up totally redoing my entire setup from this one series of questions were asking Moe haha. I dont care about smell cuz Im out in the country, but if there is some other reason not exhausting to the outside is best...Im all ears 🤓
No, not that's it bad, but there is a valid point about exhausting outside while heating your house from another source. Something about negative pressure. But idk if it was moe who said it or not.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go hydro vs coco? The reason I chose coco over hydro is cuz it seems a bit less complicated, just gotta maintain the ph in the res which is pretty easy ( though since Ive been using Armor Si, my PH rises quickly. I wonder if there is some sort of additive I could use to naturally lower/stabilize the PH? Without armor si I never even checked ph cuz it stayed 6.0).
To me hydro seems less complicated. I can totally wrap my head around how it works. Just plants sitting in a nutrient water solution. The pH isn't affected by the media, nor does my media, ph neutral clay rocks, play any role other than structural support really, and super easy root breathing, or so it seems imo. But I could def be wrong. I just have to maintain pH as well, but also dissolved oxygen. Just one more.

Idk why it just seems more straight forward to me, and it has always interested me. My ph is very predictable now. I love being able to see it live 24/7 and the ppm. I feel like a mad scientist now with just that one extra tool, a ph controller. With this I will be able to spot a bacteria bloom pretty quick from the trend. But I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go sterile and be done with it, after that I'll never have to worry one thought about it, that will be nice.... I get too much anxiety from all that root rot stress.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Idk if anyone reading this likes deep underwater ocean stuff, I just saw this video twice in a row cause the creatures it shows are wild and the music is very soothing and it's tripping my out cause I'm feeling it lol

I love stuff like this... After this I asked my wife for a 2 person submersible for Christmas 😂

Last edited:
Zombierider

Zombierider

To me hydro seems less complicated. I can totally wrap my head around how it works. Just plants sitting in a nutrient water solution. The pH isn't affected by the media, nor does my media, ph neutral clay rocks, play any role other than structural support really, and super easy root breathing, or so it seems imo. But I could def be wrong. I just have to maintain pH as well, but also dissolved oxygen. Just one more.

Idk why it just seems more straight forward to me, and it has always interested me. My ph is very predictable now. I love being able to see it live 24/7 and the ppm. I feel like a mad scientist now with just that one extra tool, a ph controller. With this I will be able to spot a bacteria bloom pretty quick from the trend. But I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go sterile and be done with it, after that I'll never have to worry one thought about it, that will be nice.... I get too much anxiety from all that root rot stress.
Makes sense, like an IV constantly feeding those roots 24/7. Yeah bro PH monitoring sounds pretty nice, i might invest in one too to monitor my res. That underwater vid is trippy, especially since I ate a couple mushies haha. Fricken perfect

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OK, I'll try to answer them all but if I miss a question lmk.

Pushing air outside is a bad idea with a central heat / ac system unless the outside temp and humidity are what you want inside the house. That's because if you are actively pushing air out (even a 6" blower will move significant CFM in a day - depending on factors maybe 2 - 6 times the amount of air in your house) and push it outside. You now have a vacuum in the house. Outside air will be sucked in every crevasse you have in your house. Plugs, doors, windows, even the vent over your stove will be depositing outside air inside. There are better ways to do it so your whole house is not there to service your plants 😉

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The current plumbing is a bit adhoc, but here are the blueprints for next run. 9 buckets at roughly 4 gallons, gives me 36 total or near 9 gallons for each plant. Already have the buckets and no room externally to place a res. Figured this is still better than individual dwc, and it saves me so so so much work having them connected. I should have used bigger pipes, like bulkheads by I had zero confidence in my plumbing know how initially. I asked you once for some help but your help was still too advanced for me to understand what you were talking about. Now that I got my hands wet I have a better understanding about your earlier advice.

Ph controller is working well. After that learning curve as well
OK so let's start at the beginning and design the perfect system for your goals. I have some questions tho to help

What are your goals? Example perpetual harvest, growing the most cultivars for a pheno hunt, most yield for the year, winning the POTM, growing the highest THC possible given genetic A, etc etc etc. You can pick multiple, just give me an idea what we are trying to accomplish.

What is the space? Apparently there is no room for any equipment outside the space? Maybe an overview shot of the tent / room it is in?

Is this your house where we could make changes like adding an electrical outlet, drilling a floor or wall to add a drain, etc?

What is your level of tech savvy? Do you write code? Do you understand electronics?

What is your water source? I'm thinking it is RO, but forgive me I talk to so many growers that I don't know personally it's hard to keep them straight.

What do you do with your harvest? is this personal use?

Is there a budget to work with?

What part of the world are you in?

How much time do you have to dedicate to both the buildout and the weekly maint?

What is your light again?

I'm feeling pretty confident we can design the most efficient RDWC system to meet your goals, just give me as much info / detail as you want and I'll work with that.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes I converted to rwdc at a point where I was pulling my hair out trying to get them to turn around before it would be too late to save. Yes, I'm pushing air outside, if I remember right, you don't like that, but doing that I am finally able to have a hold on what temps I want. My HVAC doesn't even come on during the day if I'm home, very well insulated in here on bottom floor of apartment building.

No more foliar feeding, it's been two weeks I think. In bloom I did a couple foliar "feeds" not sure what to call them, there aren't any nutes in them. I sprayed them with fulvic acid, I can't remember where but I read somewhere that fulvics are great for foliar and humics were good for the root system. I also always mix a little yucca in my spray.

And you're confused with my setup because it's a mess that will all be straightened out before the start of next run
It's not me that doesn't like pushing air outside, it is your energy bill.

Where are you / what climate? So like over the past week what have your outside temps been?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Sorry @Moe.Red I just got on today. I think I answered your questions.

I'm still playing with the idea of going sterile in my head. You said you have run both types of systems and now do live. Were there any differences with quality or the grow in general between the two types?

For sterile I've thought about a drip of h202 that would be calculated to put out the necessary amount instead of having to add it every 3-7 days. How did you do yours
Sterile is easier. Especially for someone like you who understands what a peristaltic pump is and how to use it. Done correctly, it could be almost as good as live. Example:

Start the system up before you put plants in, h2o2 at 15 - 25PPM. This gets rid of all life everywhere including inside pumps, pipes, stuff you can't clean.
After the initial high h202 dose, do a res change. This gets rid of the cells of whatever you killed and starts you back at a lower ppm of h202. Probably not zero. I can never get to zero without multiple res changes myself. What you are looking at for a starting level to bring the plants in is about 5PPM. You will probably have close to that. Use these:

Now, we need to figure out how to keep the ppm between 2 and 5. That's where your dosing pump comes in. If you decide to go sterile, we will tackle that next.

The biggest obvious problem with sterile is the root damage. Most people dump in h202 weekly. So you get maybe 20ppm day 1, 15 day 2, 10 day 3, etc. I'm here to tell you that 20PPM is enough to damage root tissue. They get a red tinge, and if you wash them with hygrozyme they become white again. You are exfoliating the roots in this process. If you didn't run h202 in the first place, you would not need to exfoliate. If you are able to keep the levels in the 3-5 ppm range, you might get away without this problem. Be fun to find out. I'm guessing.

The less obvious issue with running sterile is that the plants were not evolved to grow that way. In the root zone, complex stuff happens that has not been fully mapped out.

Take a look at this https://www.maximumyield.com/revealing-root-exudates/2/1285

and then let's have an informed conversation about exudates and microbes and fungi. I think if you understand this at a core level, you will choose a live system.

ninjadip

ninjadip

It's not me that doesn't like pushing air outside, it is your energy bill.

Where are you / what climate? So like over the past week what have your outside temps been?
40-50 I think. During the day I have the exhaust controller set to 73. My thermostat is at 70. With the controller the exhaust shuts off for far longer than it is on. I rarely hear the HVAC come on. There are two 4" inline intake fans pumping air in the tent and 3 pole fans moving it around.

At lights off the controller is set to 60 now that I'm near harvest I'm experimenting with cold temps. My thermostat is set to 65 when I sleep.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

i know us farmers put a lot of demand on you lol thanks for always helpin tho

so i believe i am one of the only ones on here that uses GH FloraNova over the 3 part. I was just looking up what the differences might be between them but they are nearly identical when you combine the ingredients of the floramicro w/ florabloom to the one part Floranova Bloom. I do find it interesting, while i was rummaging around the GH website, i saw that they classify what i'm using FloraNova series as a hybrid. I did not know that. I wonder if that is where the distinguishing difference lies. I'm assuming that the 3-part is 0% organic?

View attachment 1310042
Buddy, I'm starting to feel like I'm just standing on my soap box preaching, I don't want to be that guy. But I do want to answer your questions, so, here I go again.

In terms of the plant - it does not care one iota if the nutrient X it is taking up was derived by a process that uses bacteria or one that uses man made chemistry. They are identical in terms of the plant. But if you are adding organic substances directly to the res (like nova) you HAVE to run a live res or you might as well dump your nova down the toilet. It's like adding Great White to your sterile grow. Incompatible.

Yes the GH Flora 3 part is 100% inorganic, if you recall it works via chelation rather than microbe activity. BUTTTTT please don't confuse the fact that I still recommend a live system with non-organic nutes. There is more to the story.

Here is my advice my dude:

Lets get this plumbing and environment locked in how it needs to be to meet your goals.
Let's run a live res this time, you already have the orca.
Let's use the GH flora 3 part and cal-mag only for one grow.

I'll bet, with a deeper understanding of what you are doing and why, you will find that this outperforms anything you have done before. Then, once you have the important stuff locked in your brain, when something shiny like koolbloom comes along, first thing you will do is read the label for ingredients and immediately know if this product will have no impact, some positive, or some negative impact on your grow. THATS when farming gets fun and you start winning POTM!

ninjadip

ninjadip

What is the space? Apparently there is no room for any equipment outside the space? Maybe an overview shot of the tent / room it is in?

Is this your house where we could make changes like adding an electrical outlet, drilling a floor or wall to add a drain, etc?

What is your level of tech savvy? Do you write code? Do you understand electronics?

What is your water source? I'm thinking it is RO, but forgive me I talk to so many growers that I don't know personally it's hard to keep them straight.

What do you do with your harvest? is this personal use?

Is there a budget to work with?

What part of the world are you in?

How much time do you have to dedicate to both the buildout and the weekly maint?

What is your light again?

I'm feeling pretty confident we can design the most efficient RDWC system to meet your goals, just give me as much info / detail as you want and I'll work with that.
Goals: amazing quality, above average yield, diverse simultaneous cultivars, show off finished clones that will be available for gifting.. the buds are for me. 4 plants harvest to last each harvest. Scrog each time. Soon grow one cultivar that is hashlike oozing each time specifically for rosin pressing.

Space: tent is 4x4, maybe a foot of space against one wall that has circuit breaker I can't block. Plenty of space in front of main door, but that is my study room. So I don't want to take it up, I get very very very stressed about feeling crowded. Sometimes I flip out.

Lights: just won a free spider farmer sf2000 so I have to use it in my next grow, not that I'm not very excited to do so 😁🙏
That's on one side. On the other I have two cheap 110 watt quantum boards that proved their worth for two grows now. I do have an ammeter but I have never tested it on the lights.

Supplemental lights: 4 x 30w supplemental bars that have 3 diode types, no individual switches for each band.
PXL 20220925 201014465

My budget is currently spent until next year. Besides this grow I invested some into my diy 2x2 aeroponic cloning station. I can't remember now, but I think I have 60 some 2" pot sites. I'm super excited for that.

my tech know know how is high, on last year of computer science degree. I have never programmed a raspberry pi though, just never needed to, but I think I see where you are going. I have done done some ai and machine learning coding for competitive fun. If I had the code to get me the real world variables I would love to write code to perform the best action based on the current data and data tend. It would be fun. I do have some novice soldering skills.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Goals: amazing quality, above average yield, diverse simultaneous cultivars, show off finished clones that will be available for gifting.. the buds are for me. 4 plants harvest to last each harvest. Scrog each time. Soon grow one cultivar that is hashlike oozing each time specifically for rosin pressing.

Space: tent is 4x4, maybe a foot of space against one wall that has circuit breaker I can't block. Plenty of space in front of main door, but that is my study room. So I don't want to take it up, I get very very very stressed about feeling crowded. Sometimes I flip out.

Lights: just won a free spider farmer sf2000 so I have to use it in my next grow, not that I'm not very excited to do so 😁🙏
That's on one side. On the other I have two cheap 110 watt quantum boards that proved their worth for two grows now. I do have an ammeter but I have never tested it on the lights.

Supplemental lights: 4 x 30w supplemental bars that have 3 diode types, no individual switches for each band.
View attachment 1310264

My budget is currently spent until next year. Besides this grow I invested some into my diy 2x2 aeroponic cloning station. I can't remember now, but I think I have 60 some 2" pot sites. I'm super excited for that.

my tech know know how is high, on last year of computer science degree. I have never programmed a raspberry pi though, just never needed to, but I think I see where you are going. I have done done some ai and machine learning coding for competitive fun. If I had the code to get me the real world variables I would love to write code to perform the best action based on the current data and data tend. It would be fun. I do have some novice soldering skills.
OK brother, I gotta get to work on some stuff here but I'll be back later tonight to comment. Cheers.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Buddy, I'm starting to feel like I'm just standing on my soap box preaching, I don't want to be that guy. But I do want to answer your questions, so, here I go again.

In terms of the plant - it does not care one iota if the nutrient X it is taking up was derived by a process that uses bacteria or one that uses man made chemistry. They are identical in terms of the plant. But if you are adding organic substances directly to the res (like nova) you HAVE to run a live res or you might as well dump your nova down the toilet. It's like adding Great White to your sterile grow. Incompatible.

Yes the GH Flora 3 part is 100% inorganic, if you recall it works via chelation rather than microbe activity. BUTTTTT please don't confuse the fact that I still recommend a live system with non-organic nutes. There is more to the story.

Here is my advice my dude:

Lets get this plumbing and environment locked in how it needs to be to meet your goals.
Let's run a live res this time, you already have the orca.
Let's use the GH flora 3 part and cal-mag only for one grow.

I'll bet, with a deeper understanding of what you are doing and why, you will find that this outperforms anything you have done before. Then, once you have the important stuff locked in your brain, when something shiny like koolbloom comes along, first thing you will do is read the label for ingredients and immediately know if this product will have no impact, some positive, or some negative impact on your grow. THATS when farming gets fun and you start winning POTM!
Sorry man, don't get frustrated with me. I'm asking cause I already have the floranova grow and bloom. Don't have the 3 part, but I can buy now if necessary or next time. I have enough bloom for another grow. I do have the cal Magic. I have the orca and a lot of southern family fungicide sitting in there too.

What's our next step

Zombierider

Zombierider

View attachment 1310264

Ive heard a few people mentioning the Raspberry Pi thing in relation to grow automation: you should probably fk with it, might be profitable in the long run :D

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Sorry man, don't get frustrated with me. I'm asking cause I already have the floranova grow and bloom. Don't have the 3 part, but I can buy now if necessary or next time. I have enough bloom for another grow. I do have the cal Magic. I have the orca and a lot of southern family fungicide sitting in there too.

What's our next step
Naw man I'm not frustrated at all. I just dont wanna be the guy who its my way or the highway and I know everything. Far from it. There are only a few absolutes in cannabis growing. The rest is all grey. Shit I'm saying today will likely be proven wrong tomorrow.

I'm doing a major project with the wife. I'll be back in a bit and lay it out for you in yet another long winded preachy post. I encourage you to question everything I am saying and do your own thing.

🤓

Latest posts

Top Bottom