curing nug the right way?

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
The reason you burp is to remove excess humidity, and also allow excess gas buildup to escape. Humidity packs can only do so much. I suspect not burping will render the packs ineffective after a while.

I dry for 10 days (about) and cure for 4 weeks. Beyond that, the law of diminishing returns kicks in. If you want to kick it up a notch, after the 4th week (as long as you're at 62% RH), put your jar in a warm place (80-85F) and let it ferment/sweat. Although with a ferment, you need a little more RH and less O2. Look up Malawi Cobs for something on fermenting.

Actually, if you're old enough to have smoked Mexican Brick Weed, you probably smoked fermented weed. They would dry it without curing, then compress it into bricks. The ferment occurred during shipment and storage.

CF89

CF89

The reason you burp is to remove excess humidity, and also allow excess gas buildup to escape. Humidity packs can only do so much. I suspect not burping will render the packs ineffective after a while.

I dry for 10 days (about) and cure for 4 weeks. Beyond that, the law of diminishing returns kicks in. If you want to kick it up a notch, after the 4th week (as long as you're at 62% RH), put your jar in a warm place (80-85F) and let it ferment/sweat. Although with a ferment, you need a little more RH and less O2. Look up Malawi Cobs for something on fermenting.

Actually, if you're old enough to have smoked Mexican Brick Weed, you probably smoked fermented weed. They would dry it without curing, then compress it into bricks. The ferment occurred during shipment and storage.

I have no excess humidity though at 55% and with boveda packs in there though right?

Slap

Slap

That the ticket... putting in the bag like I do (and of course the spot you choose is important) like you said every peeps place is different. My spot is. doing it for years that way, no need for meters these days. but for finding that best environment for drying you should meter up...after that you'll gain the feel for it.

And I completely agree on Drying/curing is the most important, I've been seeing some lately here that peeps are just fugging the shit up. not a clue...it was dank before the yank...lol
that's why I go to the bag first before jarring, if you go from hanging dry to jar, with even burping every 2 hours, the first initial burp at 2 hours could be the cat that pissed in your tea. Ya Dig?
It doesn't take long for the moister to release and build up in the jar (if there's some present) that is.
And how long does it take to start effecting your bud? --- right away!!!! any moister that is in that jar with no fresh air, will start to turn bad... and it will directly effect your buds taste and smell, even it might smell ok...it probably would of been off the shanizzle if it didn't get moisturized...and it doesn't take much either.

A good hang dry
A good bag dry
A good cure guy
A good puff why?
Patients.............

and everyone wants to get stoned!

Tech4523

Tech4523

I trimmed most leaves of. Hung to dry at around 68-70 degrees at 50-60 RH the stocks snapped around day 7 now have been in Jars for 10 days burping when I can. They are stable around 62% now and just staring to get a fresh sweet cannabis aroma and no more hay smell. I will probably give them at least 2 more weeks in the jars before even tasting it

20200919 133713
20200919 133717
IMG 20200919 140220 366
Received 1705659066265978
sambapati

sambapati

I trimmed most leaves of. Hung to dry at around 68-70 degrees at 50-60 RH the stocks snapped around day 7 now have been in Jars for 10 days burping when I can. They are stable around 62% now and just staring to get a fresh sweet cannabis aroma and no more hay smell. I will probably give them at least 2 more weeks in the jars before even tasting it
Snipped the plants and placed them into the dryer per Dirtbag's suggestion. Covered the birdcage and cleaned debris. Humidity 60% 21c for a week and then check. This was my first rodeo and will do better thx to the fart smellers at the farm
20200926 174355
20200926 174407
20200926 181027
20200926 181036
20200926 181046
20200926 182131

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
4 days seems a little too short, unless you have very small wispy buds.
A slow dry 6-10 days buds still on stems/branches. most leaves trimmed off.
complete darkness with slight air flow ( but not directly on buds).
dry out bud feels crisp, but still spongy.
Then I cut them off stems into a plastic grocery bag.(resin will not stick or absorb into it).
with plastic bag open I place it into a large paper grocery bag and roll it down a little.
then I set it on floor in closet, I check it every 4-6 hours.
First opening...stick your nose in the bag and smell. you want fresh, earthy, floral, sweet...
if its kinda grassy its too wet yet take out and let it air dry more.
if its smells ok, give the buds a gentle stirring and roll er back up.
some strains will change the smell through this but still smell good, it allows for a better transition between drying and curing.
When you go to jars after hanging, and they are not dry enough... they can go to bunk real quick.
But if you use the double bagger way, your buds will have a slower drying time (allows more chlorophyll to be released)
after a few days then I jar and burp...works for me every time. :)

I use almost this exact method also, paper grocery bags are so good at getting things exactly right, especially if you've got stuff that needs to be slowed down.

I try and extend the cure as long as possibe, upwards of 20 days, if it's really thick.

NHDbooler45

NHDbooler45

I wet trim my buds. Put them on a hanging racking a cool dark room with a fan for air circulation. After about 4 days the outsides are dry and crispy. I then put them in air tight jars, I take them out of the jars 2 times a day for 5 minutes. After a week and half I do this 2 times a week. Then I do it once a week for 2 weeks. Then I leave them for 2 weeks, poping the cap once a day for a quick check.

sambapati

sambapati

I wet trim my buds. Put them on a hanging racking a cool dark room with a fan for air circulation. After about 4 days the outsides are dry and crispy. I then put them in air tight jars, I take them out of the jars 2 times a day for 5 minutes. After a week and half I do this 2 times a week. Then I do it once a week for 2 weeks. Then I leave them for 2 weeks, poping the cap once a day for a quick check.
Sounds good, let me come over and burn one and check for you....just making sure YK

Notamastergrower

Notamastergrower

i was curious as to what would be some methods for curing. so far i let em hang for about 4 days then depending on how moist i will throw em in jars and start burping them every 12- 15 hours or so. im finding that iim loosing a lot of the smells and the nug turns out "crispy" dried rather than a desirable cured dry, if that makes sense. Also should i be trimming all leaf off before i hang it or hang it with just the sugar leaves on it still? any tips or tricks that could help me?? thanks for looking

View attachment 1015682
I am my names sake lol but I chop em down like you did in your pic. I leave on the sugar leaves, defoliate the rest (dried trim is an alright smoke while you wait). Drying time depends on volume and you have a lot! If possible space them out some, you need air flow. Wait at least 2 weeks then find a small stem. Bend the stem. If it is still pliable, it's not ready. If it snaps, you're ready to cure. As previously mentioned, dry time varies, so some plants may take longer than others. Don't rush! Curing takes time as well. At first you may smell nothing, or you may smell a grassy/earthy tone, but if you wait, the bouquet of fragrance will develop with time. Plants require time to get rid of sugars/carbs, once they do they smell nice.

Notamastergrower

Notamastergrower

View attachment 378302 Hydrometer takes out alot of the guess work. I hang mine for four-five days then into paper bags for a day then into jars with a hydrometer. Let it sit for 12 hours to get a good reading then I burp jars until I get to 55-60% RH. Then it's storeable for long periods. I find that a 3 week cure is the soonest I like to smoke. After a month really great flavors start to appear. Best of luck !
The longer the better.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

"Wait at least 2 weeks"

DO NOT DO THAT ( a blanket statement like that makes no sence)

If i did that here my nugs would be bone dry.

7 days is a long dry time for me. Its raining now and my humidity outside is 66%

Depends on a lot of things.

After 7 days it was put in vaults at 65-68%
Screenshot 20210102 102127 Pulse

Notamastergrower

Notamastergrower

"Wait at least 2 weeks"

7 days is a long dry time for me. Its raining now and my humidity outside is 66%

After 7 days it was put in vaults at 65-68%View attachment 1076479
"Wait at least 2 weeks"

After 7 days it was put in vaults at 65-68%View attachment 1076479
He said 4 days ain't getting it done...he has a lot of plants still putting out moisture in a small space...I said it varies...relax

Antas

Antas

i was curious as to what would be some methods for curing. so far i let em hang for about 4 days then depending on how moist i will throw em in jars and start burping them every 12- 15 hours or so. im finding that iim loosing a lot of the smells and the nug turns out "crispy" dried rather than a desirable cured dry, if that makes sense. Also should i be trimming all leaf off before i hang it or hang it with just the sugar leaves on it still? any tips or tricks that could help me?? thanks for looking

View attachment 1015682
Man triming is after dry not before

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
A lot of things affect drying time.
  1. Are you hanging whole plants, branches, or did you trim everything and have your buds on hanging racks?
  2. Are you removing fan leaves when you hang?
  3. Do you have a very low or high leaf to flower ratio?
  4. How much ventilation do you have?
  5. What climate are you in?
  6. Do you control the temperature in your room?

I'm sure you can think of more variables.
In general, for myself, hanging untrimmed branches for 5 days, trimming them, then hang for another 5 days works well.

That said, the best smoke I produce is dried outdoor in a shed.

sambapati

sambapati

Man triming is after dry not before
Before during and after is all OK for trimming because everyone is free to see what is working for them at that time. Defoliation advocates say take it all off and why hang a plant with anything obstructing air flow. I am 5 days into brown paper bags in a 20 degree room where a dehumidifier and Hitachi Air Purifier purr away. Each bag is shaken slowly to the left and then slowly to the right and then if it does the hanky panky it can turn it self around. Estimated 5 more days -- as this is based on the @Onedropbar method, but I'm in no rush. 9 different plants but 2 are for sure Yeti (which developed mold issues). Testing from the grow room floor is pretty conclusive that it is some potent ganja.

Greenmachine1984

Greenmachine1984

Wow guys some bad techniques here. Don't worry I did the same for five years.I been drying for 20 years it takes 3-4 weeks To dry bud .to keep all terpenes in and get that sticky perfect dry then you won't need a long cure. Belive me people call me up to come help them dry cause
My finish is hands down the best I've seen. Hang plants whole get your room ready before you cut .I start of 18/17c for 3 days low humidity can be 44-55 doesn't matter too much I use 50% then I lower temps to 14/15:16 colder the better and raise humidty,To 60 percent and do this for 3-5 weeks take down whole Plants and trim off sticks and leafs. Trust me the slower the better. Don't panic at all trust me you won't have hay or tea nag smells just the stickiest smelliest buds. I promise on my kids life if you stick to what I say this will come off the best dry and you won't ever use another Tech. I was Doing the same methods you all used til I Figured this out. Met a top grower he does the same dry and we both dry a lot of stuff .There you go thank me after you try it I promise you won't get a better smell finish and consistency through out all of your bud. Happy growing of someone wants me to prove I just try it on a little bit on one plant you will cry at the end the rest of your stuff will be no where near as good. Dry is a lot Of the process. I've turned peoples dirtinto stinky stuff and seen the best crops goes to dirt!

Top Bottom