Curing to make RSO. Need guidance.

• Thread starter BogartAmungus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Ok I plan on making some RSO for my brother who was recently diagnosed with stage 1 lung cancer. I just harvested and the plants trimmed and hanging in the tent. My question is what is the method I should use to prepare my MMJ to make RSO? It says to have bone dry flower. Should I just leave it hanging in the dark until its bone dry? Do I cure as normal and then leave it to dry? I need to make this ASAP to get him starting to build his tolerance. IDK if this is effective on lung cancer or not but it's worth a try and he can at least have some real medicine to help ease his pain and suffering if it comes to that. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also I am trying to decide on the solvent. Im leaning toward Everclear or 99%ISO. The thread on RSO is pretty old and IDK if there are any advances in the methods of extraction.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet in a turkey bag if you got one. 240°F for 40 minutes to decarboxylate then crush up into powder for your oil.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet in a turkey bag if you got one. 240°F for 40 minutes to decarboxylate then crush up into powder for your oil.
So how long would you recommend hanging it before the decarb in oven process? Have you used this method to make RSO? I appreciate your advice. I was wondering if anyone would respond lol. Im sure it seems like an elementary question but I was thinking about doing what you said or buying a dehydrator and try to slowly dry it with that.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Normal oven doesnt have constant temperature, careful that you dont burn the weed.
You can also decarb the oil instead of the weed...

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Normal oven doesnt have constant temperature, careful that you dont burn the weed.
You can also decarb the oil instead of the weed...
I have an Ardent FX decarbolator coming some day if they ever send it. Not sure how muck I can decarb at once. Will need about a pound decarbed.

BadBud3

BadBud3

If you get an infrared temp gun you can check the temp in your oven and keep it consistent. The Ardent will do about an ounce max, I wouldn't recommend one. YOu're talking about decarbing and curing which are two different things.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

If you get an infrared temp gun you can check the temp in your oven and keep it consistent. The Ardent will do about an ounce max, I wouldn't recommend one. YOu're talking about decarbing and curing which are two different things.
Gotcha I do have one and a digital I use in my smoker. Maybe I should have also asked if I quick dry without the cure process, would I lose potency or effect the quality of the concentrate? Some say to decarb, some say don't worry about it as the rice cooker will decarb it.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

A new wave digital cooktop will hold a precise temp.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

So how long would you recommend hanging it before the decarb in oven process? Have you used this method to make RSO? I appreciate your advice. I was wondering if anyone would respond lol. Im sure it seems like an elementary question but I was thinking about doing what you said or buying a dehydrator and try to slowly dry it with that.
It only needs to dry for a few days imo. Yes I've made plenty of oil and concentrate this way. It needs to be fully decarboxylated to work good.
You need a plant with a 1:1 thc:cbd ratio for cancer oil.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Ok I plan on making some RSO for my brother who was recently diagnosed with stage 1 lung cancer. I just harvested and the plants trimmed and hanging in the tent. My question is what is the method I should use to prepare my MMJ to make RSO? It says to have bone dry flower. Should I just leave it hanging in the dark until its bone dry? Do I cure as normal and then leave it to dry? I need to make this ASAP to get him starting to build his tolerance. IDK if this is effective on lung cancer or not but it's worth a try and he can at least have some real medicine to help ease his pain and suffering if it comes to that. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also I am trying to decide on the solvent. Im leaning toward Everclear or 99%ISO. The thread on RSO is pretty old and IDK if there are any advances in the methods of extraction.
i make oil all the time you can reach out to me for advice..
personally i would cure your weed properly,

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

i make oil all the time you can reach out to me for advice..
personally i would cure your weed properly,
I plan on curing everything in the future. I just want to get him some medicine as soon as I can. I don't have nearly enough ready cured to make a full batch. I think sooner the better if it's going to benefit him. What solvent do you recommend? I think I will use Everclear or 99% ISO. Seems to be easily acquired. I appreciate your advice. I bought a dab press to make rosin and make him some infused oil with that. I have a lot to learn.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

It only needs to dry for a few days imo. Yes I've made plenty of oil and concentrate this way. It needs to be fully decarboxylated to work good.
You need a plant with a 1:1 thc:cbd ratio for cancer oil.
I just have regular cannabis. I grew Orange velvet underground, GG#4, and grape diamonds from ethos. I also have Jack herer and Zskittlez and what is supposed to be Durban poison but it looks more like an old school landrace sativa strain with the buds all foxtails. I do have about 3/4 pounds of Sweetend Hemp flower. Wonder if I could combine them in the solvent?
20201130 150112
20201130 150108

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I plan on curing everything in the future. I just want to get him some medicine as soon as I can. I don't have nearly enough ready cured to make a full batch. I think sooner the better if it's going to benefit him. What solvent do you recommend? I think I will use Everclear or 99% ISO. Seems to be easily acquired. I appreciate your advice. I bought a dab press to make rosin and make him some infused oil with that. I have a lot to learn.
ok, well i think the whole thing with rick simpson oil is the cannabinods? can convert etc during curing..
anyways yes you can make some now,
i use iso.. my method is a mix of qwiso and rso methods to make honey/hash oil, anyways rso oil is very easy to do..
are you in canada?
maybe a phone call would be way better?

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

The Zkittlez and DP are still in flower. I will chop the Zkittlez this weekend but the DP may need another couple weeks. Sunday will be 10 weeks on both. I had a good harvest but the Fk'n DP hermied on me lol I didn't catch it until it was too late.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

ok, well i think the whole thing with rick simpson oil is the cannabinods? can convert etc during curing..
anyways yes you can make some now,
i use iso.. my method is a mix of qwiso and rso methods to make honey/hash oil, anyways rso oil is very easy to do..
are you in canada?
maybe a phone call would be way better?
I live in the US.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I live in the US.
ok well you don’t have to worry about drying everything than cause of your circumstances, you freeze it all, the weed, iso, etc..
after up to a day, (maybe after a few hours take buds out and break up than back in freezer).the point of rso oil is to let the iso/weed mix to for a hour up 12 hours to remove more than just trichomes.. than it’s a filtering process with a tight screen strainer to separate the weed and mix, than maybe a cheese cloth on a jar folded 4/5 times for the first filter, than i later 3 coffee filters together on another jar, and repeat that 2 times than let sit in fridge overnight for the remaining sediment to settle and be filtered, than use a rice cooker to burn off iso, once your down to tiny bubbles if that pour into a silicone tray and i warm it up slowly on a coffee warmer to finish off remaing iso if anything left.. pretty much it..

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

ok well you don’t have to worry about drying everything than cause of your circumstances, you freeze it all, the weed, iso, etc..
after up to a day, (maybe after a few hours take buds out and break up than back in freezer).the point of rso oil is to let the iso/weed mix to for a hour up 12 hours to remove more than just trichomes.. than it’s a filtering process with a tight screen strainer to separate the weed and mix, than maybe a cheese cloth on a jar folded 4/5 times for the first filter, than i later 3 coffee filters together on another jar, and repeat that 2 times than let sit in fridge overnight for the remaining sediment to settle and be filtered, than use a rice cooker to burn off iso, once your down to tiny bubbles if that pour into a silicone tray and i warm it up slowly on a coffee warmer to finish off remaing iso if anything left.. pretty much it..
That's awesome! I will definitely give this a go. Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this. Its the first time I have heard of that method or Rhso. As far as silicone tray, will this work?
Screenshot 20201210 045815 Amazon Shopping

Top Bottom