Curmudgeonland...home Of The Old Farts Club

• Thread starter yooper420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Yesterday, while planting my started peppers, I grabbed a handful of dirt, and crumbled it around the plant. I noticed that the dirt didn't quit moving. I glanced back to see what it was. I had just crumbled a nest of centipedes, in my bare hand... 8 in all, one big, and 7 little ones. Ffff#ck!
Nopetrain

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

@mendel @GoldNBoy What types of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, squash do you guys like to plant? Do you prefer older heirlooms or newer hybrids that could have some disease resistance? Do you have your staple plants and then some to play around with, like reapers or ghost peppers etc. Pardon my ignorance but I just got really curious about larger scale planting.

Also, what are your thoughts on healthy soil keeping pests away? I've attributed garden pests mostly to the fact that there are 8 acres of dry grass surrounding a little plot of green goodness, and that's why the bugs come, but I have also heard that if your soil is right as rain then the bugs have a more difficult time. No idea if this is healthy plants in happy soil or healthy microbes keeping the larger nasties away. I'm going to splurge and make a giant batch of og biowar to innoculate the soil, but that will be a one time application as I'm pretty sure the old man bought stock in sevin, but I threatened to steal his cigar collection if I catch him buying that shit. I'm also curious if you guys take steps to address this stuff (preventives for pests) already. The acreage is kept fairly maintained so grasshoppers aren't the biggest issue for us. I'm not looking for specifics since the walls have eyes now, I'm just curious how the big boys do it.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

@mendel @GoldNBoy What types of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, squash do you guys like to plant? Do you prefer older heirlooms or newer hybrids that could have some disease resistance? Do you have your staple plants and then some to play around with, like reapers or ghost peppers etc. Pardon my ignorance but I just got really curious about larger scale planting.

Also, what are your thoughts on healthy soil keeping pests away? I've attributed garden pests mostly to the fact that there are 8 acres of dry grass surrounding a little plot of green goodness, and that's why the bugs come, but I have also heard that if your soil is right as rain then the bugs have a more difficult time. No idea if this is healthy plants in happy soil or healthy microbes keeping the larger nasties away. I'm going to splurge and make a giant batch of og biowar to innoculate the soil, but that will be a one time application as I'm pretty sure the old man bought stock in sevin, but I threatened to steal his cigar collection if I catch him buying that shit. I'm also curious if you guys take steps to address this stuff (preventives for pests) already. The acreage is kept fairly maintained so grasshoppers aren't the biggest issue for us. I'm not looking for specifics since the walls have eyes now, I'm just curious how the big boys do it.

if I was a bug In dead grass id sure want to come over to your lovely garden lol

Hippie

Hippie

Replace the fuel filter, and find a way to fill up the filter with stanadyne. I might have spelled it wrong but it's a fuel injection cleaner. I've seen it work magic on tarnished injectors. Also in the kabota you can add a gallon of transmission fluid to a tank of fuel. Truckers still do this with older non-emission engines.
Thanks for the heads up. Gotta get her runnin' right 'cause I've got way too much shit to do around here without her.
Ain't too sure I'd stick a whole gallon of tranny fluid in a four gallon tank, though.

gtrmike470

gtrmike470

Hey all. So popped my head in the garden today and noticed that one section of flowers looked like water dripped on them. But all is dry. They just started week 7 of 9 and I do use terpinator. Frosty to begin with. Anyone ever seen this before?
IMG 3385
IMG 3384

Yard dog

Yard dog

Thanks for the heads up. Gotta get her runnin' right 'cause I've got way too much shit to do around here without her.
Ain't too sure I'd stick a whole gallon of tranny fluid in a four gallon tank, though.
that engine will run off oil in hot weather. engine's with a mechanic fuel pump are not hard to please. the trans fluid cleans the injectors. its a light hydraulic oil, its the additives that help. i figured you had more that a 4 gal tank. a quart or so would be good. what model kabota do you have? my dad bought an L4400 back in 2005. been a real good tractor. not as tough as our old one was. 1968 Massey Ferguson 135 . you could run over a forest with that thing, nothing hurt it. we have a tow truck company. he adds the trans fluid to his older trucks that do not have emissions. we rebuilt an engine for him last year, over 1,000,000 miles with the original injectors.

Hippie

Hippie

that engine will run off oil in hot weather. engine's with a mechanic fuel pump are not hard to please. the trans fluid cleans the injectors. its a light hydraulic oil, its the additives that help. i figured you had more that a 4 gal tank. a quart or so would be good. what model kabota do you have? my dad bought an L4400 back in 2005. been a real good tractor. not as tough as our old one was. 1968 Massey Ferguson 135 . you could run over a forest with that thing, nothing hurt it. we have a tow truck company. he adds the trans fluid to his older trucks that do not have emissions. we rebuilt an engine for him last year, over 1,000,000 miles with the original injectors.
Mine is the smallest you can buy, a BX22. Came with a backhoe, front end loader, 60" deck, a box blade, and a wood splitter. Had just shy of 200 hours on it. Bought it back in '07 for $13,500.

giggy

giggy

I have watched some of the truckers pour straight delo oil in the tanks so they can make it to the station.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

This question has to go to Mendel. I'm literally a cowboy, that got kicked in the belly, and shattered a kidney. The radiologist compared it to a hotdog that'd been left in the microwave too long. I survived, obviously.
I've also broke my neck, and more bones than I care to count, previously. So, I already smoked, but didn't care to be on the "list". But, when I was kicked, I couldn't do much. What's left of my kidney still hangs by the artery, vein & ureter, unattached to the wall. I have reoccurring cysts, and I don't even slow down for a kidney stone, anymore. Stones come weekly, sometimes more. So, any quick movement requires a level of pain tolerance and extreme abs. If I drive 5 hours, in my pickup, I'll piss blood for a day.
Even with work comp, I was screwed. A good 75% of my income came from agriculture, outside of the salebarn job I'd gotten hurt at. Add on top of that, my mentor passed away, shortly after. He left me the deciding 1/2 of a horse breeding program, that'd fizzled out in the 80's. ...And I had adopted 3 teenage boys, on top of the 3 kids I already had. I was broke, hungry and in pain.
A few true friends came to my aid. Oddly enough, they were all stoners, people I'd smoked with.
It came down to the only painkillers that worked, was the j in my hand. I could not afford to buy it. So, I grew it. ***I take care of animals. I don't know much about plants.***
I really just lucked out, my first grow. I tilled up my old dog run, hard packed clay. I planted bag seed, and worked my butt off to keep it legal & alive. But, I harvested 24+ pounds off of 12 plants. Sadly only 6 plants were smokable.
My main defense, from the grasshoppers, was my pup and a Manx cat. If i could make the hopper jump, they'd kill it. Sadly, my neighbor's kids took a baseball bat to the cat. (...don't get me started, on the neighbor.)
If I would recommend anything, I'd say diatomaceous earth & neem oil. But, there are lots more knowledgeable people here, than myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom