Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyButtons

Post-harvest update…

The plant I had that was completely affected by this condition ended up being a total loss. Best I can explain is the buds never really formed…pistils/trichomes started to grow early in flower but no calyx formation. End result is all leaf. Sure would be nice to have some solid answers for this…
Yup. That's exactly what happened to the plant I didn't treat. Worse than that, actually.

mike1980

mike1980

Most of my tops came out of it but the ones that didn't had poor twisted leaf growth under development

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

D

DonnyBoy

Last picture is of the same plant but two different branches
I think it’s high metal content in the feed/soil. I stupidly used gas furnace condensate water…. PHd of course… on rooting clones. The gas furnace condensate water I’m almost certain had high metal content because of the off gases and the water being corrosive going through the internal metal components of the furnace itself. Only saw it on those clones and have cloned off of those plants since and have seen some carry it on and others look as good as can be. I see the high PPMs of aluminum.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I think it’s high metal content in the feed/soil. I stupidly used gas furnace condensate water…. PHd of course… on rooting clones. The gas furnace condensate water I’m almost certain had high metal content because of the off gases and the water being corrosive going through the internal metal components of the furnace itself. Only saw it on those clones and have cloned off of those plants since and have seen some carry it on and others look as good as can be. I see the high PPMs of aluminum.
Its happened to us for almost 10 years, and out water doesnt have any type of metal content. And tis happen using a variety of different fertilizers. From chemicals, to organic. And weve been using some of the same fertilizer for 30 years, or more, and never had a problem, until it started 10 years ago.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Everyone, here's more evidence that what we're dealing with is viral.

Thing about this possible diagnosis is that none of the symptoms mentioned, said anything about the leaves/tips turning purple/black, and then death. Most of the time deth anyway. Some do grow out of it. But generally what weve had either outright kills the plant, or makes it useless Also I know just because a purple/black symptom, doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. They just never mentioned it..

Spotsy

Spotsy

What’s your feed like? Nute type and quantity or ppm?
Strains affected? What is the feed schedule?
Cold, temps?
Too much phos? Possibly
I’ve not seen a persay disease that causes that color. Could be strain related ? But I suspect phos
Hey. Jackog. did u. Ever find out what this is?? My plants have been hit 2 years in a row now

Spotsy

Spotsy

Look Purple to me.

But I would say his PH is off.

Either at 5, or 7.2, its off.

My PH is 6.3 runoff.

We'll call it Purple/Blue for semantics sake.

Mine are the same color, and they will also eventually turn black

Also considering they've been outside since April, and water has been falling on them all the time, and nothings changed except they are starting to flower.

Makes no sense to start now if its burn ect.

They do this when they start to flower, and can also start right before flowering.hey James. This is so weird. Mine started 3 weeks after seeds popped and only stopped when it went INTO FLOWER

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Theres no set rule I know of as when the purpling starts, stops, or just flat out kills the plant. Not enough is known about if, from what I know.

There are places to have tests done.

We have had this for at least 10 years. Not all plants are affected. Some grow out of it. Most dont. Its been observed from Hawaii, to south Africa.

I still say is a Phytoplasma, transmitted by bugs. Mainly in my neck of the woods. Leafhoppers.

Spotsy

Spotsy

Yep!! So after going down the rabbit hole on this.. I think u are 100& right on. Only diff with my grow is that it starts in veg.. and the one plant that I did save last year sorta outgrew it ,, with heavy , heavy intereference on my part. E. G. Plucking off every top that started showing the black discoloration. Much props to you.!! And also for sticking to your guns!! Lololo. NOW ,, WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT???

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Yep!! So after going down the rabbit hole on this.. I think u are 100& right on. Only diff with my grow is that it starts in veg.. and the one plant that I did save last year sorta outgrew it ,, with heavy , heavy intereference on my part. E. G. Plucking off every top that started showing the black discoloration. Much props to you.!! And also for sticking to your guns!! Lololo. NOW ,, WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT???
I think the only thing that can be done about it is keep leafhoppers, and other insects off of the plants.

Spotsy

Spotsy

What kind of insect management do u use? I use Pure crop one and Arber organic stuff.... I realize outdoor grow is different from indoors, in regards to IPM.. Ive only grown outdoor here in VA. It's just a part time hobby thing. Free smoke.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

humm that's very interesting, that's a problem i've never seen.
Living and learning lol

S

Seawood

Well, a year later and starting to see it again. Very minimal this year with only a couple of bud locations being affected. Curious how everyone else who previously experienced this is making out this year.
1167E859 B95C 4D9F B659 E46CE1D44E21

Spacewreck

Spacewreck

Well, a year later and starting to see it again. Very minimal this year with only a couple of bud locations being affected. Curious how everyone else who previously experienced this is making out this year. View attachment 2031035
I have it on most of my plants again this year .. I was reading through some threads and seen someone mentioned it not affecting container plants ,, this is not true .. I brought a few of my clones ,, that I had saved to make new mothers,, outdoors to let some biological control take care of the aphids I picked up through the season from drying some buds in the basement .. The aphid issue was taken care of quickly outdoors but the plants were all infected with this purple/black gnarly crap.. I have been poking away at this for many years and pretty sick of the ignorant ones chiming in and letting me know that I was dumb and had no idea when I was growing purple fire . .. I have always been against spraying the plants with anything but I think I will maintain a regime of safers insecticide throughout the grow next year and see if that is the way to go ... I am hoping that the plants are healthy enough to push through and produce some decent , smokeable buds ..

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

They can for 100% sure get it in containers. 25% of all of our losses have been in containers.
Ive never seen it on anything indoors, yet. And I never bring anything from outside, inside.

But there is no question it an affect/infect container grown plants.

Spotsy

Spotsy

Hey. Throwing in my 2 cents.. all of my plants that I did not pull up, seem to have pulled thru.. when they started to flower, I no longer see the black tops... I did find like two lower popcorn buds affected , but that was literally it. Here's recent pics

PXL 20230904 135742894PORTRAIT
PXL 20230902 220611488
PXL 20230831 150309756
PXL 20230831 150247068
PXL 20230831 150011361
Spacewreck

Spacewreck

They can for 100% sure get it in containers. 25% of all of our losses have been in containers.
Ive never seen it on anything indoors, yet. And I never bring anything from outside, inside.

But there is no question it an affect/infect container grown plants.
Do you grow outdoors ? If so ,, where do you dry your harvest ? I grow indoor and outdoor .. The only place I can dry mine is in my basement . . This purple crap is the only thing I have not been able to control or figure out for sure .. I have ,, in the past ,, taken some of my plants ,, that had spider mites,, outside for a few days .. I have very diverse // native gardens here and use no pesticides . There is lots of natural predators that knock down the spider mite issue fairly quickly ..

Spotsy

Spotsy

Do you grow outdoors ? If so ,, where do you dry your harvest ? I grow indoor and outdoor .. The only place I can dry mine is in my basement . . This purple crap is the only thing I have not been able to control or figure out for sure .. I have ,, in the past ,, taken some of my plants ,, that had spider mites,, outside for a few days .. I have very diverse // native gardens here and use no pesticides . There is lots of natural predators that knock down the spider mite issue fairly quickly ..
Yeah. I gotta dry mine in our bedroom.. not ideal. But it's the only place to do it.. I have an industrial air purifier and a window unit A C, I was lucky this year, as all my plants outgrew that black plague.. I found one or two buds affected, but that was all.. But 2 months ago I thought this year would be a bust,, all the plants were getting that black growth on the new shoots. I think I beaT it by plucking off the affected growing tops..

Top Bottom