Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

browntrout

I live in an area where titanium and aluminum are very high in the soil naturally. This being located on a peninsula right next to a bay. The area sometimes floods in late fall when water pools up. Also that picture is phos deficiency, in which case that could be at play as well but I’ve had that Color before an no issue just adjust PH and your on your way.

As for Moly, it’s not tested by my lab. Also there is some trace moly in flornova in which I’ve used quite a bit this season

Last edited:
B

browntrout

Also I’ve fed some high phos fert to note any changes with a PH of 6.5 going in. No change.

Unit541

Unit541

Fix your PH dude. Don't let that "Buffer PH" value on your soil analysis fool you.

So with a soil PH of 5, this entire conversation seems a little like a guy telling his mechanic he knows the gas tank is full of water, but keeps asking what else could be causing problems with air conditioning or cornering performance... or towing capacity...

I'm no pro. In fact I'm an idiot and nobody should ever take my advice (or anyone on the internet for that matter). But, I do know that correcting everything that is known to be incorrect, is pretty much the first step in solving any problem. Applied here, that means I personally would ignore these symptoms until they remain even when all known issues are corrected. In this case, the plant growing in soil that has a PH of 5, is well, it's a known issue.

B

browntrout

Fix your PH dude. Don't let that "Buffer PH" value on your soil analysis fool you.

So with a soil PH of 5, this entire conversation seems a little like a guy telling his mechanic he knows the gas tank is full of water, but keeps asking what else could be causing problems with air conditioning or cornering performance... or towing capacity...

I'm no pro. In fact I'm an idiot and nobody should ever take my advice (or anyone on the internet for that matter). But, I do know that correcting everything that is known to be incorrect, is pretty much the first step in solving any problem. Applied here, that means I personally would ignore these symptoms until they remain even when all known issues are corrected. In this case, the plant growing in soil that has a PH of 5, is well, it's a known issue.

Agreed, however the plants are in 1.5x1.5’ holes filled with pro-mix organic ferts, compost and manure, including glacial rock dust. The soil test came from the edge including 90% native soil. In which case the lime applied really didn’t do a whole lot, I applied at least 4 or 5 times this year 1/4 bag at a time. I Am testing some 6-12-12 time release fertilizer for PH too see if I can use that as well. 60% are in bud.

Buffered is the target ph from my understanding.

Other than that I do not know of anyway to fix the PH of the native soil in a quicker fashion.

B

browntrout

Calcitic Lime is used more for PH change vs Dolomite.

Maybe because it can be used in higher doses without adding to much magnesium?

"Calcitic lime is derived from deposits of primarily calcium carbonate. Dolomitic lime is derived from deposits of calcium carbonate combined with magnesium carbonate and contains much higher levels of magnesium. ... There is little difference between lime types in their respective ability to neutralize soil acidity"

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
whoa whoa whoa gents, so lets start here OP @browntrout

1. these gurls are in flower correct?

2. What makes you think there is an issue with the plants health? is it the purple?
Cause it doesnt look like PM or mold to me.

Did we overlook genetics???? thats why I asked in number 1 what strain are we dealing with.

Give me the pedigree of said strain and lets go from there. Also be more specific as to why you think this is an issue. Not what you heard on other forums. Cause if you relying on other forums that tells me your green . Again whats the issue?? :D

B

browntrout

whoa whoa whoa gents, so lets start here OP @browntrout

1. these gurls are in flower correct?

2. What makes you think there is an issue with the plants health? is it the purple?
Cause it doesnt look like PM or mold to me.

Did we overlook genetics???? thats why I asked in number 1 what strain are we dealing with.

Give me the pedigree of said strain and lets go from there. Also be more specific as to why you think this is an issue. Not what you heard on other forums. Cause if you relying on other forums that tells me your green . Again whats the issue?? :D

Lol, I am very well versed in colored genetic traits... this started before any plant started into flower. None of the purple strains purple before flowering and most not until the 3rd week of flower. I am just conversing with others on an issue that I have never seen solved. But by all means chime in as to what the issue is and a solution.

The issue is dark purple discoloration, slowed growth and leaf distortion varying from branch to branch, 98% of plants affected to varying degrees. As mentioned in a previous post the pictures look much better than in real life. Thinking this is genetic related is a little green imo.

My (((Durban x PCK) x Blueberry) x Mother of Berry) x Pre2k Blueberry has some purple phenos for sure. See below plants grown in the same spot last year.

Here is a list of the strains in the garden for your interest:

(((Durban x PCK) x Blueberry) x Mother of Berry) x Pre2k Blueberry #1 & #2
Angel Heart MR.Nice
Super Lemon Haze - GHS
SSH x God Bud - Beanho
KC33 - KC Brains
Texada Timewarp F4
Texada Timewarp x Dosidos
Texada Timewarp x White Pup
Purple Kush x Dosidos
GG#4 x Dosidos
Fruity Pebbles OG x Dosidos
Shisky Durban/Durban x Freezeland
((Cambodian x Timewarp) x Freezeland) x Freezeland - In and out of flower, only plant that hasn't purpled at all.a
Green Spirit x God Bud
OG Kush x God Bud
God x Durban
Blue Moonshine - DJ Short
LA Confidential
8 Ball Kush
Zed Hashplant / Purple Kush x Blueberry
Green Crack - Crop King

Actually a bit more than I originally thought, anyway all of em have the purple except the Cambo freeze warp that was in and out of flowering revegging itself.

User268748 pic1789512 1507432941
User268748 pic1789506 1507432621
User268748 pic1790049 1507555085
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So the beginning pics you posted were not yet in flower? Still veg shotz?

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Calcitic vs Dolomitic Limestone in Growing Media | PRO …

www.pthorticulture.com/.../calcitic-vs-dolomitic-limestone
Calcitic limestone
dissolves faster than dolomitic limestone so it quickly adjusts a growing medium's pH within one week, but it has a shorter residual effect of up to 1-2 months. Dolomitic limestone is a combination of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate and serves two purposes in the growing medium.
The two most common forms of limestone incorporated into growing media are calcitic and dolomitic limestone:

• Calcitic limestone is calcium carbonate and it neutralizes acids in the growing medium. It provides some calcium, but almost no magnesium. Calcitic limestone dissolves faster than dolomitic limestone so it quickly adjusts a growing medium's pH within one week, but it has a shorter residual effect of up to 1-2 months.
  • Dolomitic limestone is a combination of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate and serves two purposes in the growing medium. Primarily, it neutralizes acids in the growing medium but also provides some additional magnesium and calcium for plant uptake. Dolomitic limestone dissolves slowly in the growing medium, resulting in longer term pH adjustment (up to 2-4 months) and buffering to improve pH stability.
Promix uses both Calcitic, and Dolomite.

I use Promix BX. That's also where I got the idea to use both, then researched it.
Together, dolomitic and calcitic limestone create a more even and consistent growing medium pH.

When using both forms of limestone, better pH control can be achieved; calcitic limestone quickly releases and adjusts the growing medium's pH while dolomitic limestone slowly releases over the course of the crop, resulting in limited pH fluctuations during production.

They are best used in a 2/3 x 1/3 combination in Sphagnum moss/Peat base.

B

browntrout

Calcitic vs Dolomitic Limestone in Growing Media | PRO …
www.pthorticulture.com/.../calcitic-vs-dolomitic-limestone
Calcitic limestone
dissolves faster than dolomitic limestone so it quickly adjusts a growing medium's pH within one week, but it has a shorter residual effect of up to 1-2 months. Dolomitic limestone is a combination of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate and serves two purposes in the growing medium.
The two most common forms of limestone incorporated into growing media are calcitic and dolomitic limestone:

• Calcitic limestone is calcium carbonate and it neutralizes acids in the growing medium. It provides some calcium, but almost no magnesium. Calcitic limestone dissolves faster than dolomitic limestone so it quickly adjusts a growing medium's pH within one week, but it has a shorter residual effect of up to 1-2 months.
  • Dolomitic limestone is a combination of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate and serves two purposes in the growing medium. Primarily, it neutralizes acids in the growing medium but also provides some additional magnesium and calcium for plant uptake. Dolomitic limestone dissolves slowly in the growing medium, resulting in longer term pH adjustment (up to 2-4 months) and buffering to improve pH stability.
Promix uses both Calcitic, and Dolomite.

I use Promix BX. That's also where I got the idea to use both, then researched it.
Together, dolomitic and calcitic limestone create a more even and consistent growing medium pH.

When using both forms of limestone, better pH control can be achieved; calcitic limestone quickly releases and adjusts the growing medium's pH while dolomitic limestone slowly releases over the course of the crop, resulting in limited pH fluctuations during production.

They are best used in a 2/3 x 1/3 combination.

Thanks, this is good info.

scubascrog

scubascrog

PH does not affect molybdenum only if your ph is under 5.5. but you would be showing a hell of lot more problems than just MO at that point. you would be running more deficiencies

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
unless Im just too baked to comprehend, why do you feel this, per your thread title is a disease?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
PH does not affect molybdenum only if your ph is under 5.5. but you would be showing a hell of lot more problems than just MO at that point. you would be running more deficiencies
and molybdenum deficiencies are very rare. 30 + years never had that.

B

browntrout

I'm the only person on the forums to get this strain of purple kush to turn purple. cold watering temps and cold nights. looks exactly like yours.
View attachment 823444 View attachment 823445

The plants I just posted were from last year and did not start developing color until 3rd week of flower and not patchy dark purple, it comes on light move/fuchsia. Where as this purple comes before flower with slow growth and varies from branch to branch. This clone specifically will purple no matter what temps its in. The lighter pink plant is a different strain.

Top Bottom