Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Ph on ours is good. Promix BX. PH 6.2-6.4 We don't bury ours. We don't bring ours back inside if infected.
never had a problem for 40 years, until 5 years ago. Medium feeding.
Chem Gro... 15-0-0 4-20-39 x Extra Mag.

Total formula is 19.5-20-39. Micros included, and we supply Mg.

Gve a MPK boost at weeks 3-4 on an 8-9 weeks strain, but most don't make it that far along. Mg boost at weeks 5-6.

We use the same feed schedule outside vs inside, and we never let the containers stay wet for to long.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Has anyone else tested their soil? The only deficiency for me was boron.

That and your pH was way low. Disease of some sort brought on by poor immune system response.
Is my guess.

You have lots of plants.

Cull and move on?

I've seen this in specific cultivars but it didn't come with any mutated growth. Just purple genetics.

Mutated growth its gotta be a disease/pathogen of some sort. Your soil test was fine even before you added in all that chemical fertilizer. Well except your pH of course.

To fix a soil pH issue with plants growing in the soil. Good luck specially if plants already in the ground. Very difficult to do in soil for this round of plants.

Soil has a great way to buffer most pH amendments. You soil report should have made a suggestion to amend for pH? Adding lime wont change the pH over night it takes a while "in soil".

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

If this is occurring in multiple locations then soil isn't causing the problem. Possibly bacterial. I've been experimenting with aspirin, 325mg per 1 gal water. It is suppose to strengthen the plants immunity. Could it help? Ya got me but after two years I'd be willing to try just about anything.

B

browntrout

If this is occurring in multiple locations then soil isn't causing the problem. Possibly bacterial. I've been experimenting with aspirin, 325mg per 1 gal water. It is suppose to strengthen the plants immunity. Could it help? Ya got me but after two years I'd be willing to try just about anything.

I've tried foliar sprays of aspirin and silica suppliments last year, basically the only thing that helps is keeping them as healthy and fast growing as possible.

B

browntrout

That and your pH was way low. Disease of some sort brought on by poor immune system response.
Is my guess.

You have lots of plants.

Cull and move on?

I've seen this in specific cultivars but it didn't come with any mutated growth. Just purple genetics.

Mutated growth its gotta be a disease/pathogen of some sort. Your soil test was fine even before you added in all that chemical fertilizer. Well except your pH of course.

To fix a soil pH issue with plants growing in the soil. Good luck specially if plants already in the ground. Very difficult to do in soil for this round of plants.

Soil has a great way to buffer most pH amendments. You soil report should have made a suggestion to amend for pH? Adding lime wont change the pH over night it takes a while "in soil".

Last year two doses of of lime were applied, and oyster flour. Oyster flour was then applied again this year but haven't taken a soil test. Pelletized lime can certainly change PH in a fairly rapid (weeks) and extended manner in my area, definitely within the growing season more so in garden soil/non-native soils, definitely right about the buffering capabilities. I've got 40-50 small to large plants affected. Too late to move on. It's easy to recommend scrapping I'm sure but why not try to find the culprit and understand it better?

I live in coastal humid environment with 80-110mm rainfall average per month, with 8-10C temp swings between day/night.

I have never seen this to be genetic related, I have grown/bred many purple/pink strains but none with blotching/twisted growth yet, especially in veg.

B

browntrout

Interesting, and a real pain I’m sure.

How’s the ph of the soil for the girls with problems? Humidity still super high? Over 65 and you’ll start to get problems. Are you heavily feeding? What’s the temp at the root zone? I see you bury the containers. You mentioned that if you take the affected inside it starts to heal?

I Would lean towards nutrient lockout. Why? Either environmental, aggressive feed schedule, or bad ph. Feed schedules should be dialled in according to the environment to a degree.

Here’s a similar[ish] issue from a few years back:

The link from RIU has nothing to do with what we are talking of here, what you have shown is simple lockout/deficiency.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Weeks for pH change I agree. Still weeks is enough time for plants that are already in ground to develop issues.

You should have gotten a recommendation or QUANTITY of lime to add in your soil test report.

Just getting a report that says low pH is somewhat helpful.

All soil reports I've ever gotten make specific recommendations on quantities of amendments needed.

pH is logarithmic measurement. Changing pH takes a good bit of lime to raise pH much, in containers you cant do it while the plants are growing. You can try, purple won't be the only problem.

On purple cultivars - I've grown several that will purple like you have there but without any wonky growth. My first thought when seeing your first pic was "completely normal" but over time I see there's stunted growth to go with.

I would be culling and moving on, why are your fussing over a few plants when you have a 100 or so??

Its like taking cuts. Always take more than you need cuase they ain't all gonna make it.

If it was 10+ plants of 100 then yeah I'd probably be worried, 1 or 2 is such a small percentage that it could be just about anything and I would never expect 100% success. Just by pure percentages there's going to be a few duds, not to be confused with doodes - although there's always going to be a few of them as well. lol

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I've tried foliar sprays of aspirin and silica suppliments last year, basically the only thing that helps is keeping them as healthy and fast growing as possible.
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread. I have never seen anything like this. You guys keep it on the East coast, k?

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Well aspirin comes from the Willow tree. The willow tree and its fresh shoots, roots and bark has many beneficial uses in horticulture. One being the shoot tips - make a tea and there's your Rooting Hormone.

Pretty sure they do that out there on the west coast - we people on the EC aren't the only tree huggers in town. lol

U

Unimportant

Ahh...My new old friend....

I have been having this problem for about 5 years now.
I am convinced it is a new type of Phytoplasma...possible viroid or bacterial infection ....maybe a cross vectoring from leafhoppers carrying aster yellows, purpletop .etc or other known phytoplasma types.
Definitely not a deficiency or cold related in any way..
Insect vector of some sort...leaf hopper or mite/aphid...?
Starts almost always at flowering onset usually mid end of july and peaks mid august.
Begins on the growing tips and then proceeds to spread down the stem infecting other nodes along the way..you can actually see the threads of anthocyanin/purple traveling along and down the stem spreading internally from the infection point.
Very severe stunting and black purple anthocyanin build up..tastes terrible wont burn right etc..
i have used systemics to control it...and it will grow out of it after treatment...but i always remove it completely as soon as i see it anywhere, to prevent possible further spread.
Prevention is key to control, chemical IPM works, but is very heavy handed..

More info from anyone is very much appreciated.
reports found on the internet i have gathered it is also in hawaii "blackdeath forum thread somewhere" and the upper midwest from different posters with positive ID.

If you haven't had a run in with this yet..it is only a matter of time before you will.
20 years no problem...Now its every year at just at the onset of flower...Just like clockwork.

Keep the info flowing.

Last edited:
B

browntrout

Ahh...My new old friend....

I have been having this problem for about 5 years now.
I am convinced it is a new type of Phytoplasma...possible viroid or bacterial infection ....maybe a cross vectoring from leafhoppers carrying aster yellows, purpletop .etc or other known phytoplasma types.
Definitely not a deficiency or cold related in any way..
Insect vector of some sort...leaf hopper or mite/aphid...?
Starts almost always at flowering onset usually mid end of july and peaks mid august.
Begins on the growing tips and then proceeds to spread down the stem infecting other nodes along the way..you can actually see the threads of anthocyanin/purple traveling along and down the stem spreading internally from the infection point.
Very severe stunting and black purple anthocyanin build up..tastes terrible wont burn right etc..
i have used systemics to control it...and it will grow out of it after treatment...but i always remove it completely as soon as i see it anywhere, to prevent possible further spread.
Prevention is key to control, chemical IPM works, but is very heavy handed..

More info from anyone is very much appreciated.
reports found on the internet i have gathered it is also in hawaii "blackdeath forum thread somewhere" and the upper midwest from different posters with positive ID.

If you haven't had a run in with this yet..it is only a matter of time before you will.
20 years no problem...Now its every year at just at the onset of flower...Just like clockwork.

Keep the info flowing.

Thanks for coming by, which systemics are you using? Nova seemingly had no effect...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Is there a chance that this is just a characteristic of the strain? When new growth comes in, there is little chlorophyll present and it grows in as the leaf matures a little. Once the chlorophyll grows in, the leaf turns a uniform green color. This is the same as with trees. The colors that we see in fall have been in the leaves all along, it is when the chlorophyll is removed that you can see the other colors. Some strains of Cannabis are like this, and often turn purple during late flowering if allowed to progress that far and not overloaded on nitrogen, which tends to cause more chlorophyll growth.
The current strain that I grow has the deep greenish blue leaves and turns purple during late flowering, although I haven't seen mine start off with the blueish color... but if it is present in flowering, it had to be there all along. This is just a thought. The initial photos looked pretty good overall, but I didn't see any photos with badly mutated leaves.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I didnt read all the posts, but this is a phosphorus uptake problem from either bad ph or nutrient imbalance.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Yeah I think we already found out thru a soil test that the OP soil pH was like 5ish. Good for blueberries not so much for cannabis.

Not a lot to do about that now with plants in the ground.

I suggested culling - not worth nursing specially when the OP has like 100 plants to work with.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

My buddies happens in both soil, and Promix BX..... Also in different locations, miles apart.

Last year, we used Promix BX, and had constant unfettered monitoring everyday, AND also had plants in amended soil, 6.5 PH 50 feet away.

Hes having the same shit this year, though it hasn't reared its ugly head 100% because its usually worst when they start to flower, but vegging plants have also already been observed.

Grow the same seeds inside, in Promix BX, same fertilizer, and have never had this happen.

B

browntrout

My buddies happens in both soil, and Promix BX..... Also in different locations, miles apart.

Last year, we used Promix BX, and had constant unfettered monitoring everyday, AND also had plants in amended soil, 6.5 PH 50 feet away.

Hes having the same shit this year, though it hasn't reared its ugly head 100% because its usually worst when they start to flower, but vegging plants have also already been observed.

Grow the same seeds inside, in Promix BX, same fertilizer, and have never had this happen.

I'm just starting some trials with Chitosan, will let you know how it works.

Top Bottom