Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It doesn't happen when we grow the same cuts from the same mother INSIDE. NEVER. 60%+ or more of the time outside this is happening.
anthocyanins don't do well in higher temps (could explain difference indoor or out) and tend to accumulate in areas with less chlorophyll like later flowering cannabis and buds it's what gives fruit it's color. Im by no means experienced just intrigued by this.

Possibly a genetic mutation causing hyper production of anthocyanins?

Stabbing in the dark here

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

This isn't cold related. As none of the strains we grow have that gene. It was also 97 the other day.

Consider we run 1000w Gavitas, and it gets hotter than outside sometimes, and still no purple. This also turns necrotic, and usually kills the plant, or leaves it severely mutated, and worthless.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Same issue again this year $100 to anyone who's got a cure. 😅
It’s the beginnings of bud rot, leaves go purple to them wilting off, check the calyx and see if it’s brown. I’ve had the same issue this yr. been sacrificing colas to nip it in the bud , sort off, but a kull is about all I can do to a few. Moisture out here has been high and very dense buds are getting this fungi.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I use armory beneficial bacterial inoculation for outdoor plants and ones that for this before stretch, no issues , others I see random purpling and dying off with buds showing rot. No insect activity at all just very dense formation
Definitely not bud rot, someone more educated than me have a look at “Purple Potato Wilt” Phytoplasma issue caused by leafhoppers..

Is this transmissible to Cannabis?
Verticillium wilt of potatoes is a fungal disease caused by either of two species of Verticillium. The disease is found in Maine and in all potato-producing areas of the United States. ...

And I’ve never seen it in cannabis. Are you growing any other vegetables around said plants? Maybe transmittable but it’s a fungus which is like bud rot fungus we talked about earlier. Either way u fucked, I’d get rid of affected plants to stop the spread. Biological methods like the armory is best as a IPM. To prevent but honestly once you have it , they’re impossible to treat

B

browntrout

I use armory beneficial bacterial inoculation for outdoor plants and ones that for this before stretch, no issues , others I see random purpling and dying off with buds showing rot. No insect activity at all just very dense formation

Verticillium wilt of potatoes is a fungal disease caused by either of two species of Verticillium. The disease is found in Maine and in all potato-producing areas of the United States. ...

And I’ve never seen it in cannabis. Are you growing any other vegetables around said plants? Maybe transmittable but it’s a fungus which is like bud rot fungus we talked about earlier. Either way u fucked, I’d get rid of affected plants to stop the spread. Biological methods like the armory is best as a IPM. To prevent but honestly once you have it , they’re impossible to treat

Here is a link to Purple Potato Wilt

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I don’t believe in inventing a unknown disease when the issue we all have experienced is 1. Fungal, 2. Deficiencies
Phos lock happens when temps causes leaf purpling; or lack of phos causes the same
Fungal issues set in and leaves die outward; usually bud rot or necrosis. Either case is due to either insect or spores infesting with an underlying condition allowing said issues. Beyond that I’d mail that fella a plant sample at the USDA.... not my first plant and been around the block long enough to keep it simple stupid, either case if you think it’s going to hurt your lot, isolate and decide , kull it or let it ride

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
2yrs on and everyone has pointed out possible issues and well frankly you think you know better so why ask? Kinda peeved here myself.
And boron deficiencies won’t do what you are experiencing.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Here is a basic chart with deficiencies and color or leaf pattern to compare

60F899BC 719D 4FF1 8151 9D2093A37BD6
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I must say an apology is owed to @browntrout , I indeed went and read the entire thread from page one post one and onward; I see the bigger picture. Luckily we haven’t see it here yet but we are in massive climate and environment controlled areas. Haven’t done guerrilla grows in over 15yrs and even then I’ve not encountered or met anyone in this region with said issues. So left to nature and invasive species of insects carrying this new issue is alarming.
Question ? If the issues are suspected to be inspect borne, namely a leaf hopper, is there a regiment one can do outdoors in the sticks to say control and or kill those suckers? I know predator bugs may work but I’m on unfamiliar grounds with that issue.
What was the yeilds like on infected plants? I do understand that the plant does grow out and back to somewhat normal, did it affect yield and taste etc?
Got me all worked up and curious now! Again my apologies for jumping the gun without the full picture,
Cheers

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

What came back from my buddies, was 5% of what it should have been. I wouldn't smoke it. The vast majority dies, and is worthless.

B

browntrout

I must say an apology is owed to @browntrout , I indeed went and read the entire thread from page one post one and onward; I see the bigger picture. Luckily we haven’t see it here yet but we are in massive climate and environment controlled areas. Haven’t done guerrilla grows in over 15yrs and even then I’ve not encountered or met anyone in this region with said issues. So left to nature and invasive species of insects carrying this new issue is alarming.
Question ? If the issues are suspected to be inspect borne, namely a leaf hopper, is there a regiment one can do outdoors in the sticks to say control and or kill those suckers? I know predator bugs may work but I’m on unfamiliar grounds with that issue.
What was the yeilds like on infected plants? I do understand that the plant does grow out and back to somewhat normal, did it affect yield and taste etc?
Got me all worked up and curious now! Again my apologies for jumping the gun without the full picture,
Cheers

If it is something to do with phytoplasma and infected via leafhoppers than there is likely no known cure. It is bacteria based.

I'm not 100% convinced, It is somewaht likely to me that it is physiological reaction to something in the soil itself. I haven't seen potted plants get it or at least barely noticeable if at all, other than a clone taken from a purple affected plant that never developed further.

Last edited:
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Last year my buddy and I started Coastal Seeds NL1 x Puck, NL1/Black Domina, Hazeman 88 G13/Hp, Dr Atomic NL5, Swami Organic Seeds Blue Orca Haze, RKS x Blue Orca Haze, Mr Nice Super Silver Haze, Snow Lotus, and a few more, all Fresh Seeds from Original Breeders.

The plants were grown in his backyard, in 10 gallon smart pots, and EVERY STRAIN got purple. Not every plant, but every strain was affected by the Bacteria, of which I believe it is.

The soil was Promix BX, which Ive used forever. Hes growing in pots again, and also in the woods, and its the same things, and expect even more because they haven't started to flower yet. Some showed purple 1.5 months ago.

B

browntrout

Last year my buddy and I started Coastal Seeds NL1 x Puck, NL1/Black Domina, Hazeman 88 G13/Hp, Dr Atomic NL5, Swami Organic Seeds Blue Orca Haze, RKS x Blue Orca Haze, Mr Nice Super Silver Haze, Snow Lotus, and a few more, all Fresh Seeds from Original Breeders.

The plants were grown in his backyard, in 10 gallon smart pots, and EVERY STRAIN got purple. Not every plant, but every strain was affected by the Bacteria, of which I believe it is.

The soil was Promix BX, which Ive used forever. Hes growing in pots again, and also in the woods, and its the same things, and expect even more because they haven't started to flower yet. Some showed purple 1.5 months ago.

Interesting you say this James, Last year I had plants in pots and plants in a tilled row right next to one another, the tilled row had it and the pots did not...

I like the HP myself, bit better drainage for my area with it can rain a lot and become stagnant. I had 15-20 strains last year and every one in the bud garden got them and they were planted in an area i had been amending and using for years but last year was the frst year for purpleitus.

People don't realize how much quality,smell,size growth is affected when they have this. IMO if badly affected the end product is complete garbage and not even worth making oil out of IMO.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Interesting you say this James, Last year I had plants in pots and plants in a tilled row right next to one another, the tilled row had it and the pots did not...

I like the HP myself, bit better drainage for my area with it can rain a lot and become stagnant. I had 15-20 strains last year and every one in the bud garden got them and they were planted in an area i had been amending and using for years but last year was the frst year for purpleitus.

People don't realize how much quality,smell,size growth is affected when they have this. IMO if badly affected the end product is complete garbage and not even worth making oil out of IMO.
I wonder if sulfur in that area will sterilize the plot? Somethings in there that’s causing this. Maybe do a spot and see???

Last edited:
G

GoM3z

Interesting, and a real pain I’m sure.

How’s the ph of the soil for the girls with problems? Humidity still super high? Over 65 and you’ll start to get problems. Are you heavily feeding? What’s the temp at the root zone? I see you bury the containers. You mentioned that if you take the affected inside it starts to heal?

I Would lean towards nutrient lockout. Why? Either environmental, aggressive feed schedule, or bad ph. Feed schedules should be dialled in according to the environment to a degree.

Here’s a similar[ish] issue from a few years back:
https://www.invalid.com/t/leaves-turning-purple-and-necrosis-help.487171/

Top Bottom