DD inspired bubblebins

• Thread starter jack the reaper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jack the reaper

ok, im starting to get this MPB thing figured out, and how this OG Kush behaves in it.
heres some pix from the start up

Dd inspired bubblebins
Dd inspired bubblebins 2
Dd inspired bubblebins 3
Dd inspired bubblebins 4
Dd inspired bubblebins 5
Dd inspired bubblebins 6
Dd inspired bubblebins 7
Dd inspired bubblebins 8
Dd inspired bubblebins 9
Dd inspired bubblebins 10
J

jack the reaper

and here are a few more recent pix following some tweeks.
-plastic on floor now
-cages all in place
-duct that vents laundry room into fireplace needed to be insulated, resulting in temps max 85 and night low 65.
see anything else i should attack? please let me know..
more than happy to field questions.

IMG 0923
IMG 0927
IMG 0928
IMG 0931
IMG 0934
IMG 0943
IMG 0949
IMG 0951
IMG 0973
IMG 0982
M

mrdizzle

looks great bro, are those the drains, the grey ones in the pic? thats the only thing making me nervous

is that last pic a blower or a pump?

J

jack the reaper

looks great bro, are those the drains, the grey ones in the pic? thats the only thing making me nervous

is that last pic a blower or a pump?

thanks mrdizzle.
those are the drains, they are 1inch dia and removeable(threaded) to drain the bin in <15sec.
the water exits via the top and falls almost 2 feet into the return, lots of splashing/ waterfall.
what is it thats makin you nervous?

i placed an older small pump in the res with a chunk of half inch on the end. then i poked a hole in the 1/2 inch and fed a piece of 1/4 in to it and led the other end of the 1/4 back to the surface. this is something i discovered about 10 years ago just messin with junk. i have since learned this is called a venturi. good way to inject O2 into the water.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I like that setup.
I cant wait to see those baby's get huge.
Very clean work bro.

J

jack the reaper

thanks rob and bossman, i cant wait for em to get huge either! it seems the OG takes her sweet time to veg, my old Sensi Hash Plant was a beast after a few weeks of veg.
i did have a few hiccups and i am still not quite sure what caused the plant closest to the exhaust duct to freak out, but i suspect it was the slightly warmer temp on top of all the other abuses these girls have endured.
this is the first week of flower, looking for some stretch here soon...

M

mrdizzle

Hey jack, I worry about the roots cloggin it up, looks like you have easy access so it shouldnt be a problem.

that pump idea is fucking awesome

are your lights up high? you could probably cause a little stretch if you have your lights higher than the plant

how is the laundry room, is that canfan cooling it off good, I like that idea. how big is that Ac

J

jack the reaper

mrdizzle- yeah, i was worried about the clogging of the drains too. they are extremely worry free and would continue to work even loaded up with roots. there are two and they both get removed weekly to drain the bins. i am hoping to be able to continue doing so throughout the whole flower phase, lets see how big these ladies get.
i wanted to put as many splash/waterfall features in as possible. the water comes in from the topand splashes into the bin, then exits via one or both of the drains. that makes 22-33 features amongst the 11 bins in the room. then there is the main drain to the res and the 1foot drop to the res, the chiller and drop to the res and last, the venturi. this makes 25-35 features.

OOPS!!!! i flat out forgot about the 11 ceramic oxygen diffusers fed by a pair of highblow80s (6 and 5).
ALL told: solution feed/drains, return to res, chiller, venturi, and diffusers were talkin about 35-45 oxygenating features built into this system. im starting to wonder if there is such thing as oxygen toxicity in hydroponics:icon_dizzy:

half the bulbs are centered on the plant, the rest are just above the level of the plants and there doesnt seem to be a great deal of difference in the growth because of this, more to come...
the ac is a 3ton, and at first i thought my house was going to catch on fire!! tried the 8inch and it didnt quite cut it. this 10 inch is perfect. the temps are maxxing at 85 and the AC is set on low/econo mode!

E

easypleasie

Good job, Jack! I remember one of my first bucket designs was with those totes. I like the flap idea for easy access. Looking forward to seeing your babies grow!

J

jack the reaper

thanks guys!
i built these bins before seeing the Undercurrent system. kinda same idea except that is more of an e&g style.

B

biggs

wow. another sick, big assed grow. loving your style mate. can't wait to see them trees fulla bud.:party0044:

D

Donk Frog

Very nice set-up...dam I can't wait to move later this year so I can kick my garden into MPB style grow, my space is to limited now :(

D

doubleds

Hello there

looks like you have things going smoothly. Its amazing when i look at all the different mpb gardens being shown here to see all the differences and ingenuity being put into them.

All the best bro

dds

X

Xceptional

i placed an older small pump in the res with a chunk of half inch on the end. then i poked a hole in the 1/2 inch and fed a piece of 1/4 in to it and led the other end of the 1/4 back to the surface. this is something i discovered about 10 years ago just messin with junk. i have since learned this is called a venturi. good way to inject O2 into the water.

I looked up venturi on wiki but i am still having issues warping my head around how this is beneficial and how your setup accomplished what was in the pics on wiki. would you mind posting some additional pics of this when you have a moment? how does this compare to just a $20 air pump and a 12" stone? i'm sure this helps keep the nutes mixed much better so that's a benefit but i am not sure i understand if it adds more oxygen then the air pump would

J

jack the reaper

thank you doubleds, i appreciate your sense of compassion with your patients and your willingness to share information with your peers. you're an exceptional human and mentor my friend, and i wish YOU the best in all you do.

J

jack the reaper

yo X!
i think at a certain point we would be well served to implement the use of a disolved oxygen sensor to be able to answer the big question(s) which i believe will be:
1) when it comes to oxygen, is there such a thing as too much?
2) if so, how much is 'perfect' for the selected strain?
3) if not, then how can we get as much o2 into the solution as cheaply and safely as possible? (remember, o2 is FLAMMABLE)
i had an old beckett 535 or so laying around so i hooked up this po'boy bubbla, voila!
cheap pump and stone worksgood too, but you wont get the mixing effect. if you have a submers. pump and a air pump then hook up the venturi and feed it with the air pump. KAPOW! i think this combo would SMOKE the cheap air pump/stone duo, but like i said, i have no o2 meter to verify.
i will take a few more pix of the waterfalls/ bubblers in my room and post them for you.
in the meantime, if you like to research, i can give you two cool concepts to try to wrap your head around. maybe you could help me come up with a cool way to apply them to rdwc.
a. EAX otherwise known as Nitrox in SCUBA diving. Enriched Air Nitrox is a blend of breathing air that has higher than the usual 21% o2 that we all are breathing right now (at sea level) also a posibility would be medical o2 (100%) carefull here... BOOM!!!!
b. the other is protein skimmers for aquariums. these make a tremendous amount of microscopic bubbles AND clean fish tanks of the fish poop.

back atcha in a bit with the pix
jr

Top Bottom