DD inspired bubblebins

• Thread starter jack the reaper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

easypleasie

Great idea with adding the air pump to the venturi. I might have to try that one day :) I use a Tunze stream pump to circulate my res...talk about some serious mixing action lol.

I have a DO meter but haven't had a chance to mess with it too much. I think there comes a point where you can't add much more without supplementing o2 somehow. I think it's all relative to how much light/co2/food you provide. I don't know a whole lot about all this but i'm down to learn and experiment with ya, bro!

J

jack the reaper

X,
i looked at the wiki page on the venturi effect, and yes that is what we are talking about, but we dont need all the formulas. all we are doing with this is sucking air down into the water, and this is accomplished using the force of the rushing fluid (our nutes) through a constriction (our Beckett).
this is some of the bits and pieces i had laying around, and i turned it into a bubble maker.
there is a bulkhead fitting, adapter, and i put the cage on the intake thinking that will begin to sift the solution, the impeller chops it and the venturi injects air into it before it is thrust back into the mix.
twist or ziptie your 1/4 inch up in the air so it stays out of the solution. different lengths produce diferent results. keep your tubing as short as possible for best results and skip as much of the adapter bs as you can.

i turned the rest of the pumps off to demonstrate the venturis capabilities so all the bubbs in the fotos are from the venturi.

IMG 0986
IMG 0988
IMG 0989
IMG 0990
IMG 0991
IMG 0992
IMG 0996
IMG 0997
IMG 0999
Venturi
J

jack the reaper

i put a foto of the H shaped double oxygen diffuser i made out of two singles and some tubing and ts, i did this to give the compressed air in the lines somewhere to escape, thus reducing the temps in my airline. it also spreads the bubbles out better in the bins.

a pic of the dive gear

and a picture from wiki, this is something you can buy, made of plastic and threaded that screws right on to your submersible pump. it has only one intake port for air (the one in the middle) and that is where you would attach your cheap aquarium pump to boost the jam. i have some more bits and bobs floating around i can fiddle with and get the jammin venturi kickin, gimme a day or two and i'll post it.

cheers
jack

T

TyKaycha

Pretty cool setup. Like the venturi - good idea. I was just reading up on protein skimmers the other day, and wondering if they would work. Maybe someone already has one laying around they can test out.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Hella setup man.. Tagged for sure.. Happy harvests!

B

billybadazz

WHAT'S UP JACK LOOKIN GOOD. I noticed in your avatar it says Emerald city. Seattle??
anyways happy growing love your room.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

i placed an older small pump in the res with a chunk of half inch on the end. then i poked a hole in the 1/2 inch and fed a piece of 1/4 in to it and led the other end of the 1/4 back to the surface. this is something i discovered about 10 years ago just messin with junk. i have since learned this is called a venturi. good way to inject O2 into the water.

I love this tip, It's such a quick and simple way to oxygenate and circulate your res. Have you tried to implement this concept into your feed lines?

Nice looking room, laboratory grade. I'm subscribed.

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

Brother you got your act together!!! McGyver to the Max! Freakin ACE set up!
Sick water housing as well!!

J

jack the reaper

I love this tip, It's such a quick and simple way to oxygenate and circulate your res. Have you tried to implement this concept into your feed lines?

Nice looking room, laboratory grade. I'm subscribed.

thanks chrome.
good idea, just tryin to think about how to accomplish this. if your 1/2 tube is too long then your siphon tube (1/4) becomes the proverbial "path of least resistance" and you get a squirt out. so that eliminates the idea of placing the venturi on the reservoir side of your wall.
if you place this close to the exit point in your flowering chamber AND you are using supplemental CO2 then your roots will be getting elevated CO2 levels.
i think the thing to do would be feed your air line with a SCUBA Nitrox tank or o2 tank (careful, o2 is explosive) you would accomplish the same thing.
alternatively, you COULD put a tank or pump on the feed to your water lines and do the same thing i guess, it just seems that a failure in this system could result in a wet mess, whereas in the air line feed system failure would just empty your tank.
heading out for a bike ride, i'll think more about this while i pedal:sun2:
enjoy peeps!

J

jack the reaper

Pretty cool setup. Like the venturi - good idea. I was just reading up on protein skimmers the other day, and wondering if they would work. Maybe someone already has one laying around they can test out.

there is a thread started in the advanced techniques section about skimmers

J

jack the reaper

are your lights up high? you could probably cause a little stretch if you have your lights higher than the plant

yo dizzle!
i have raised the lights up to the ceiling to try to stretch these ladies a bit and i also wanted to give two of these girls a little lumen break as i feel they are beat down from the journey (lil lumen shock, lil over fert, lil too aggressive on my microbial treatment, lil too close to the "stove pipe", etc)
the temps are around 79 right now, but there still appears to be full illumination. i am starting to notice signs of rebound in Esther, (the small one) so hopefully they will both be back around in a few days...

M

mrdizzle

I remember DD says his plants get lumen shocked then dont go up anymore just out. Perhaps thats what happend because they are some bushy ass OG's

J

jack the reaper

since the onset of flowering there has been some vertical growth, but its mostly horizontal. its almost surreal, ive never seen anything like it.

i have two plants which are looking sickly, actually the one in the photos with yellow leaves is one of them. they are dark green with some necrotic patches, stunted growth.

the plants got dosed heavy with oregonism. i placed the plants with net pots in a bucket and poured the oregonism in from the top and filled the netpot to the point of almost floating the hydroton. i am not sure if i damaged roots by disrupting the root ball or if i used too much oregonism or too often. the two plants that are struggling were both in the same place in the room for a period of time, the bin right next to the exhaust duct. i am not sure if this additional heat exacerbated my problem or what.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Yo boss can you show a close up of how your bucket drains tie into your tubs and main drain. Thanks for the input Im always glad to see someone changing it up a bit. I wonder how tough its gonna be to keep the roots out of the drain when you empty and try to screw in the pipe, dont the roots get HUGE. Good luck and cant wait to see em flipped. Great job!

J

jack the reaper

Yo boss can you show a close up of how your bucket drains tie into your tubs and main drain. Thanks for the input Im always glad to see someone changing it up a bit. I wonder how tough its gonna be to keep the roots out of the drain when you empty and try to screw in the pipe, dont the roots get HUGE. Good luck and cant wait to see em flipped. Great job!

sorry purkle, but i dont have any photos of the drains.
they are made from 1inch threaded nipples from home depot and some 1"dia double threaded bulkhead fittings.
the nipple inside the bin is cut to the desired heigth to set your water level. then a smaller piece of 1" leads out of the bottom and into the PVC. the bin sits on the milk crate, some pieces of the milk crate mesh are easily removed to accomodate the drains. holes are drilled into the top of the pvc and the drains slide right in. no seal needed.

as the roots gro they kinda dread up into this floaty mat, when you unscrew the drains the roots hang clear of the drains and up till now they hardly get in the way when trying to replace the drain. they might try to surround and overgrow the drain, but there i am weekly, pushing it back a touch. its a war of attrition, do you think i will be able to sustain for the whole flower phase?

it should be interesting...

i think these are the same fittings, you might be able to find them cheaper somewhere. i have seen 1.5 in dia too:evilgrin

i can take some fotos but i will need to ask you to be patient, its a good couple months before i will be able to shoot these during cleanup, or somebody might be asking me to put together another, dunno. if you still have questions i will do the best i can to help ya till then.

H

hbstoner

Hey jack.. so is that a/c totaly sealed? Is it a window or through the wall version? I was thinking of using an a/c in the same way as you for my next grow but im worried about smell leaking out through it. mini-split isnt a possibility for me unfortunately cause i dont know any install guys :( Also what are the temps in your laundry room on a hot day? Lovin the setup, room im setting up is going to be very similar but without dd's buckets.

J

jack the reaper

Hey jack.. so is that a/c totaly sealed? Is it a window or through the wall version? I was thinking of using an a/c in the same way as you for my next grow but im worried about smell leaking out through it. mini-split isnt a possibility for me unfortunately cause i dont know any install guys :( Also what are the temps in your laundry room on a hot day? Lovin the setup, room im setting up is going to be very similar but without dd's buckets.

i think its completely sealed, no air exchange through the a/c as far as i can tell. i am providing fresh air via an 8in fan that pulls air from the garage to the laundry room and 4in fan that pulls through the dryer vent in reverse to prevent the pressure differential of the 10in exhaust. this seems to keep any air exchange from happening between the flowering room and laundry room. also there is a scrubbing setup in the flower room that moderates the smell. nothing smells in the room, I smell something fierce after leaving.

temps in the laundry room might approach 90-95 here in the NW, hopefully not much higher. i would advise anyone trying this a/c technique to insulate and seal the flowering room as best you can to keep it cool in there. :cool

the a/c is a 3ton window/wall mount MEANT to be mounted with the back side mounted on the outside of the building.

M

mcattak

Call the guys at .. This what I use....Plug and play..Also I just got word that http://www.gchydro.com/ has access to some plug and play units..Need to call them though because there not on the website yet...Summer is coming...

Latest posts

Top Bottom