Define a "master grower"

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
north knect

north knect

There is such a course called master gardener, and if you complete it and put in all the damn volunteer work you get your certification like I did.in my state that was 500hours on site, back about 15 years ago . I think it might be less now like 200 hours.if any of those applicant's dont have that cert they are probably blowing smoke up your ass :)

everybody at this site is a master grower hahaha.but I can say from experience its much harder to keep a greenhouse full of hydrangea healthy than it is to grow a room full of pot ;)
true that lol..maryjane can be quite forgiving compared to even the most common of house plants in unideal conditions

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I think that people sometimes dial in strains in whatever situations but that is what I would boil down my resume to. Do I need someone to grow a particular strain, say I have a large clientele for sour d so I need one warehouse full of it. If that is the case I would be looking for someone with an extreme amount of knowledge regarding that strain, the way it grows in numerous environments, and most importantly my application would require the applicant to bring some of their medicine as proof: Does the diesel smell like diesel/skunk/funk? Are the buds larfy, and if not was too much bloom boosters used? How does this person tackle pests on this particular strain? What is the nutrient schedule, for instance, does the grower give the sour d more nitrogen than most people do with most strains?

Ultimately, it would be up to me (the employer) to define the master grower, but as many have already said if they are claiming the title they certainly dont deserve it.

Lastly, growing anything is an awesome art with quality based on so many varying factors, time of year, outside temps, etc.. I can't imagine anyone becoming a "master", its not judo after all.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Lmao, judo or any martial arts for that matter is much harder and takes much more discipline than growing good weed ime.
but I feel what your laying down savana.

haha! totally did not mean to dis martial arts, just that at least in some of those there is in fact a "master" level, maybe a better comparison would of been to a video game.

homegrownking

homegrownking

I would venture to say a master grower is just that a master at all systems, techniques, and styles of growing. Somebody very well rounded that is adept at any style, any medium, any nute regimen and is very flexible and can dial in any strain by simply reading the plants reactions. Can concisely diagnose any and all problems and avert any adverse growing conditions. This I would think takes at least 10-15 years of strong experience by a farmer adventurer that is never afraid of moving with technology and the times and tries all sorts of different systems, runs controlled comparisons and logs results. Work, Work, Work= a lot of time + passion.

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
Some great points in here.im going to narrow it down and say master cannabis grower.only one name comes to mind.set the bar at @obsoul33t, and lower it accordingly, lol,cause everyones bullshittin, or already working.id think that would be a job you'd hand pick some one and make them an offer vs fishing.i'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of those interviews. Lol.good luck!

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
I've never met one, at least not yet, but I have had 100's of people introduce themselves as one. When I was looking into getting my Texas Master Gardener cert, the very first module was that you had to walk thru a forest with a master gardener and identify by sight 800+ plants by genus and species in English and latin...I kind of use that as my benchmark..lol...so needless to say I haven't met any that measure up the bar set by those super smart farmers and gardeners yet. Growing some weed, an easy one to grow at that, over and over, doesn't really measure up.

The other funny thing to me is that I know some of the best growers in the biz and in the country and not one of them would ever refer to themselves as a master grower...We tear up any application that even has the term in it at my spots..for me it is almost the fastest way to loose all credibility in this game

He speaks the truth. Respect Texas... Respect ;)

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
Some great points in here.im going to narrow it down and say master cannabis grower.only one name comes to mind.set the bar at @obsoul33t, and lower it accordingly, lol,cause everyones bullshittin, or already working.id think that would be a job you'd hand pick some one and make them an offer vs fishing.i'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of those interviews. Lol.good luck!

wow thanks but i feel like the more i learn the harder growing cannabis becomes and the less i truly know.. i am learning everyday and have had my nose in the books for the last week on the ditylenchus dipsaci ... fawk me 2 spots , thrips , pm , broads , russets and now this .. continued education is paramount in this field .. i don't care if someone has a degree or phd it will never make them a master grower.. only experience can do that ..
i have run into plenty of biologist, scientist ,horticulturists and other professionals that couldn't grow a plant for shit but they posses knowledge that another can chain together into real solutions ..

been at this since 81-82 and i still have loads to learn , i will end with this , to me the passion and fun is in the learning . i am in awe of this plants everyday..

cheers

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

A master grower grows with his mind, heart and soul. Understanding these aspects make master status is within a lifetimes reach yet to each his own. A master grower is so masterful he doesnt understand how could he be called a master grower as a master knows theres always a lesson to be learned, even in a grain of sand...

william76

william76

A master grower grows with his mind, heart and soul. Understanding these aspects make master status is within a lifetimes reach yet to each his own. A master grower is so masterful he doesnt understand how could he be called a master grower as a master knows theres always a lesson to be learned, even in a grain of sand...
A master grower is someone who aspires to the title fully knowing they will never attain it,due to the vast amount of knowledge that would take many lifetimes to learn,the mastergrower is a continual student,76

waayne

waayne

Master Grower = @waayne
Damn @MakinGoo I just about choked on my green chile cheeseburger reading this today while I eating lunch...LOL
I'm flattered that anyone would think I'm that skilled,but honestly I don't really buy into the term "Master Grower" at all.....
Nor would I ever consider myself one,or ever refer to myself by that title.....

I've gardened continually since 1977,and I am still constantly learning......
This is what really fuels my passion for growing.

The Cannabis plant is an amazing plant,that still holds a lot of mysteries for me....

Honestly, the longer I grow,the more unanswered questions I have regarding this amazing plant.

As far as Industry leaders, I look to @obsoul33t and @JACKMAYOFFER
In my opinion ,these two guys are both on the cutting edge of modern Cannabis cultivation.

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

I agree with a lot of what has been said that you can never truly master the craft. We have just barely begun to discover the mystery of this amazing plant.

I do like the idea of talking about industry leaders (I agree btw with waayne, but I would add a couple more like JJ-NYC, thaDocta and a few others. Also there have been so many good growers and lovers of the ganja plant that we should consider for the hall of fame. I'm talking about the people that have made all of these amazing phenotypes possible. From the old school hippies and smugglers to the current guys growing the super dank. Credit is definitely due for a lot of people that have been underground and doing work for many years.

If you're looking for a head grower for a collective I would consider experience the absolutely most important factor. Masters degrees are wonderful and all but it really comes down to physical proof that they can do what they say. It is much harder to operate on a large scale than one might think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom