Desperate For Advice On Ph Issues In Small 2 Gallon Reservoir

• Thread starter dsiomtw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dsiomtw

So please explain to me why my box is too cold when the (accurate) temp gauge mounted on the inside of the box says 78.6F????????

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

That auto is definitey 3 weeks old recirc DWC done right auto will grow fast as shit.i have 2 journals on this forum day by day of auto grows in dwc.i don' make shit up.if I say something take it to the bank.
Lol. I believe ya brotha. Hope that didint come off like I didn’t. Just said I gotta see that shit! Hahah. Like I was saying your work speaks for itself. I enjoy watching your grows. I just never saw your autos and that’s wild for 3 weeks! Can’t wait to do a lil dwc to try it out.

H

heisen

Yeah the whole 1 inches below the pot is an old wives tale passed around and if you ask anyone n DWC why they do it they can't give a solid answer.that gap is a breeding ground for root issues and worms.submerge your roots.its what' DWC is.deep water culture.not part the way in and out.
Why would we chill the water and leave the most important part of the roots hanging in the air.

D

dsiomtw

Yeah, the problem is that the plant is stunted and not thriving. Overall it's droopy, growth is slower than I think it should be, and the lower fan leaves have brown rust spots on them. That's the problem.

I will say this. You don’t have to listen to anything anyone has to say but your title does say “desperate for advice” and he’s been giving his.

I would also like to know what’s the problem. I don’t think your roots look sick but I also know they are by no means thriving. Don’t just shrug off the water level thing.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Lol. I believe ya brotha. Hope that didint come off like I didn’t. Just said I gotta see that shit! Hahah. Like I was saying your work speaks for itself. I enjoy watching your grows. I just never saw your autos and that’s wild for 3 weeks! Can’t wait to do a lil dwc to try it out.
Yeah the whole 1 inches below the pot is an old wives tale passed around and if you ask anyone n DWC why they do it they can't give a solid answer.that gap is a breeding ground for root issues and worms.submerge your roots.its what' DWC is.deep water culture.not part the way in and out.
Why would we chill the water and leave the most important part of the roots hanging in the air.
ya I thought that was what you do with young clones or seedlings until roots establish. Top feed until they are in the water then submerge them bitches.
But again never done dwc so I don’t kno

H

heisen

Dude think of being 40 degrees outside and you standing in the sun.the sun may make it feel like it' 60.that' is radiant heat.now step in the shade.the temp is 40 degrees

D

dsiomtw

That's easy enough to do, and I will certainly try it. I don't believe this is contributing to my current problems though, and I don't think you're suggesting that it is either. I think we can also both agree that there are lots of people who use 1-2" gaps who have awesome grows.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I tagged event first post I wonder why he hasn’t chimed in.
I don’t do DWC so I’ve been just reading. Lol.

I will say this. @heisenbubble work speaks for itself. The man knows what he’s doing.
I’m not saying throw up your hands and follow his recipe but I would def listen to what he has to say. Which I believe you are.

I have to go look at that 3 week old auto myself. Hahahahaha.

Let’s just not get to where we have to delete posts. Keep it classy fellas. But I do believe @heisenbubble is trying to help in his own abrasive way. Hahah. He’s just a no bs guy.
ok let me go see what it is real quick.. give me 10 mins to read the thread..

D

dsiomtw

My temp gauge is mounted on the back of the box, not under the lights, so it is in effect "in the shade." Are you saying that while the temp gauge in my pic says 78.6F that somehow it's actually freezing cold 1 foot away where my plant is? Can you explain what you're trying to say? If anything it should be warmer where my plant is, because the plant has 3 lights pointed at it and the temp gauge doesn't.

Dude think of being 40 degrees outside and you standing in the sun.the sun may make it feel like it' 60.that' is radiant heat.now step in the shade.the temp is 40 degrees

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

This is my first grow and I'm having trouble. Everything else is dialed in, so I think it must be related to the daily 5.6-6.1 pH swing I see and/or the pH down that I'm constantly having to add every single day.

My plant often looks droopy as if it's not getting enough oxygen (which it is), and most of the lower fan leaves have some degree of brown "rust" spots which point to some type of deficiency.

I'm running out of ideas and my only guess at this point is that one or more nutes are getting locked out once the pH down/phosphorus in the res gets too high??

I'm going to change the res in just a bit and see if she looks any better in the morning, but I'm desperate for any input at this point if you have a minute to chime in. Here's what I'm looking at...

Set up: Supercloset superbox w/ about 2 gallons in the reservoir
Plants: 1 single feminized auto, CBD Crack (28 days old and pre-flowering)
Light: 200w CFL on top and (2) 100w CFLs side lights. 20 hours on, 4 hours off.
Nutes: ~600ppm Technaflora (recipe for success)
Water temp: 64-72F (averages about 68F)
Air temp: 64-80F (averages about 76-78F with the lights on)
Humidity: 45-60% (averages about 50%)
pH: 5.6-6.1 swing every day, requiring pH down every day

I've done a ridiculous amount of research on everything, but as you know there aren't many "one size fits all" answers, and everyone has differing opinions. But here are some of the things I'm thinking about, if you know about or can comment on any of them ...

1. Can you have a healthy hydro plant if your pH swings from 5.6-6.1 and then back to 5.6 every day?

2. Is it even realistic to try to grow in a 2 gallon res? Do I need to use something at least 5-10 gallons in order to reduce the pH problems, and just waste a bunch of money on extra nutes?

3. Is there something else I could be using besides GH pH down? I've read that another brand called Advanced Nutrients has a pH down that supposedly "lasts" a lot longer, requiring less to be added. Or should I be using vinegar or something else that won't cause a nute lockout and be better for my plant?

4. Am I making a huge noob mistake and totally missing something here??

Sorry for the long post. If you made it this far you're awesome!

Well post me some pics of the set up and I will answer them questions at the end..

H

heisen

My temp gauge is mounted on the back of the box, not under the lights, so it is in effect "in the shade." Are you saying that while the temp gauge in my pic says 78.6F that somehow it's actually freezing cold 1 foot away where my plant is? Can you explain what you're trying to say?
My plants will look like that after they wake up.your ambient temp is to cool.especially if you say your water temp is 67 degrees.there is no way your water temp can be 10 degrees colder than your ambiant.thats what I'm saying dude.your numbers are off.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I agree, there's gotta be some type of deficiency going on. Just can't figure out why/how ...

I have to disagree on the water though. It's not going to be "clear" with Technaflora nutes. I'm currently using 5 different solutions (BC Grow, BC Boost, Thrive Alive B1-Red, SugarDaddy and MagiCal) and they are all colored. Especially the Thrive Alive B1-Red - it's the seaweed stuff, and it's very dark brown, and it instantly makes your water look like mine above as soon as you add it, and colors your roots slightly brown.
you got organic material in a dwc with no beenies.. You got beginning stages of pythium..
Good news or bad news first?

H

heisen

you got organic material in a dwc with no beenies.. You got beginning stages of pythium..
Good news or bad news first?
I already touched base on that.he wasn't hearing it.all that organic crud in there for a beginner is unnecessary.these nute company's make a killing selling these gimmicks IMO.i still think his temp is to low.if his water temp is 66 to 68 and it' in the same box as his plant there is now way the ambient temp can be 10 degrees warmer.

D

dsiomtw

It's very possible. I understand you have an entirely different set up, but I just don't think you understand mine. I will post more pics later, with proof showing the gauge readings and also various temp readings using my temp gun (which is very accurate).

My plants will look like that after they wake up.your ambient temp is to cool.especially if you say your water temp is 67 degrees.there is no way your water temp can be 10 degrees colder than your ambiant.thats what I'm saying dude.your numbers are off.

MW7945

MW7945

It's very possible. I understand you have an entirely different set up, but I just don't think you understand mine. I will post more pics later, with proof showing the gauge readings and also various temp readings using my temp gun (which is very accurate).

Organic stuff sitting in res for long time = fungus & algae. that = bad

bad = not good

H

heisen

Don't need slime to have brown algae sickness.you can see brown algae all over the crevices inside the tote.i guarantee also the roots in the rocks are covered up in brown shit.hydroguard and cold water c ant help your roots if there fukin hanging over it lol.

Top Bottom