Desperate For Advice On Ph Issues In Small 2 Gallon Reservoir

• Thread starter dsiomtw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

OK here are some pics. First 2 pics show the basic set up ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

This next pic shows the current ambient air temperature in the room, and also shows that my temp gauge are temp gun are almost identical/accurate ...

3.jpg

Next pic shows the bluelab monitor, showing 520 ppm, 66 degree water temp, and 6.2 pH. I just added a bunch of neutral distilled water to raise the water level to the bottom of the net pot, which is why the ppm is lower than the ~600 or so that I've mentioned in my previous posts ...

4.jpg

Next pics shows that the back wall of the box is currently 74.5 degrees F based on the temp gun, and 75.2 based on the temp gauge ...

5.jpg

Next pic shows that the temp of the res itself is currently 64.2 F ...

6.jpg

Next pic shows that the surface of the res in the "shade" (red dot next to the net pot) is 71.5 F ...

7.jpg

And the last pic shows a leaf temp of 73.5F ...

8.jpg

So regarding the temperature issue, if everything in the box is between 70-80 degrees, including the plant leaves themselves, I just don't see how it can be "too cold".

The bottom "tote" is just a container filled with my kids legos I used to raise up the res a bit. The res probably holds 5 gallons total but with the water level touching the bottom of the net pots now it's about 3 gals of solution.

FYI I also bought a bluelab pH controller that just showed up today, but since it seems like my problem isn't really pH or phosphorus related I'll probably hold off on setting it up.
73.5 is to cold for dwc.ambiant temps should be 77 and leaf temps from radiant heat should be well into 80.your growing cannibas not winter lettuce.

D

dsiomtw

The wall gauge said around 78 most of the day today. And yesterday. You can see it in one of the very first pics I posted. And yeah I've been running 20/4 from day 1.

I know this because my plants that sit on the edge where my a.c. blows cold air will look just like that.exactly the way your plant looks.bring the temp up till it says 80 on that wall gauge and you will be in business.those leaves will stand straight out in about 24 hours.also what is your light to dark cycle?I would be at least 20 hours of light right now if I was u.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Yes the room is on central HVAC. Currently I have the vent sealed off though, and with the vent sealed and the door normally closed during the day the room has been staying right around 65. At night with the door closed the room drops to 55-60 so I keep the door to the adjacent room open at night so that the night time temp when the lights are off doesn't drop below 65 or so. According to my temp gauge in the box the coldest it got in there last night was 63.8 degrees during the hours the lights were off.
i recommend allowing just a lil heat in there, to bring it up to 68 in the room.. and remove the 2 lights
I think they got cold feet at night, and they are just young.. The roots didnt look real bad, but you do need the +life soon to keep from having problems.. I would order it now and get it on the way.

H

heisen

Set your thermometer under the plant and let it sit there for a few minutes with lights on.if it's below 72 that's not good

D

dsiomtw

I really appreciate all the info and input, but for what it's worth I've already experimented with all of this. Until last week the room was a constant 72, and the plant looked the same. Someone suggested it might be too hot in the box which is why I lowered the temps, but the plant still looks exactly the same (just bigger).

i recommend allowing just a lil heat in there, to bring it up to 68 in the room.. and remove the 2 lights
I think they got cold feet at night, and they are just young.. The roots didnt look real bad, but you do need the +life soon to keep from having problems.. I would order it now and get it on the way.

H

heisen

Yes.his lights off temp is to.low for young plants.that will be perfect for flowering to bring out the trichs cause older plants can tolerate it.if my ambient temps were that low my plants will look like shit.my plants look like that when they first wake up.than as it warms up.the leaves will stand up and out to absorb as much light and co2.the warmer it gets the more they absorb.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I really appreciate all the info and input, but for what it's worth I've already experimented with all of this. Until last week the room was a constant 72, and the plant looked the same. Someone suggested it might be too hot in the box which is why I lowered the temps, but the plant still looks exactly the same (just bigger).
I would of thought it was too hot too, but maybe not...
So the closest to 78 to 80 in veg and 73 to 77 in flower.. Water always 68..
I bet you a million dollars that the roots are just cold....
Well I check back tomm..
I got a 5x5 workout to get in, and the squats are fucking killin me,,, so maybe i will be back on and maybe not tonight, but i deff check in on you tomm!

D

dsiomtw

5x5 sounds like Texas Method? Rock on! Today was my intensity day so only 1 set of 5 today. :)

I'm confused about the roots being cold. Isn't 68 a pretty good res temp, and just below the recommended max of about 70? My res temp doesn't fluctuate much - it's always between 65-70. I thought that was perfect.

I would of thought it was too hot too, but maybe not...
So the closest to 78 to 80 in veg and 73 to 77 in flower.. Water always 68..
I bet you a million dollars that the roots are just cold....
Well I check back tomm..
I got a 5x5 workout to get in, and the squats are fucking killin me,,, so maybe i will be back on and maybe not tonight, but i deff check in on you tomm!

H

heisen

5x5 sounds like Texas Method? Rock on! Today was my intensity day so only 1 set of 5 today. :)

I'm confused about the roots being cold. Isn't 68 a pretty good res temp, and just below the recommended max of about 70? My res temp doesn't fluctuate much - it's always between 65-70. I thought that was perfect.
I think he' more concerned about your lights off temps.

D

dsiomtw

My res temp never goes below 65, even during lights off. I thought 65-68 was a perfect res temp range.

This little box is ridiculous. Things change so fast. If I fart near it the temp goes up.

I got the box because originally I was planning on doing a totally stealth grow, which this box is supposed to be perfect for. But it's really not at all. I would never recommend this superbox to anyone.

With the door closed, it gets ridiculously hot in the box - even with the ridiculously loud exhaust fan going. So no matter what this thing is nowhere near stealth at all.

So once I figured this out, and realized I basically need to keep the door open all the time, I said screw the stealth grow and moved the box to my office (with attached gym) where it's just me and I don't have to worry about stealth.

So yeah, I wish I never got this dumb box. I'm going to see this grow to the end just for the learning experience and to see what happens, but I'm not growing in this box any more. After this plant I'm going to ditch the box and rig up something else.

Even now, since I don't need to be stealthy, I'm tempted to just throw the box away, stick the res on the floor, and hang the light above it. Then just set the room to the temp I want and it seems like things would be much easier.

If I did something like this - basically the same set up you see in the pics but minus the box - what do you think the ideal room temp would be? 75??

It'll be bitchin' once I get it all figured out though. Thanks guys.

I think he' more concerned about your lights off temps.

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

that is perfect. However the first couple weeks they like a 72 temp. I just had to add 350 watts of aquarium heating to get my temp up.. They were looking a lil salty!
U got a krogers by you? You can get 5 gal of ro water for $2 out their self filling machine..
I imagine that they will grow out of it, as they grow..

I copied the 5x5 from athlean X..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

My res temp never goes below 65, even during lights off. I thought 65-68 was a perfect res temp range.

This little box is ridiculous. Things change so fast. If I fart near it the temp goes up.

I got the box because originally I was planning on doing a totally stealth grow, which this box is supposed to be perfect for. But it's really not at all. I would never recommend this superbox to anyone.

With the door closed, it gets ridiculously hot in the box - even with the ridiculously loud exhaust fan going. So no matter what this thing is nowhere near stealth at all.

So once I figured this out, and realized I basically need to keep the door open all the time, I said screw the stealth grow and moved the box to my office (with attached gym) where it's just me and I don't have to worry about stealth.

So yeah, I wish I never got this dumb box. I'm going to see this grow to the end just for the learning experience and to see what happens, but I'm not growing in this box any more. After this plant I'm going to ditch the box and rig up something else.

Even now, since I don't need to be stealthy, I'm tempted to just throw the box away, stick the res on the floor, and hang the light above it. Then just set the room to the temp I want and it seems like things would be much easier.

If I did something like this - basically the same set up you see in the pics but minus the box - what do you think the ideal room temp would be? 75??

It'll be bitchin' once I get it all figured out though. Thanks guys.
Ya the box is really to small to work properly. Cool idea, not very practical.

If you can control the room temp then that is prob better..
Im not for sure what you do for a living but if you got an office, and a weight room,
then im assuming you have a few dollars..
but 4x4x7 tent/fan/filter/SK led light/3x3 flood table and you will be golden in the future..
If you are just growing for you, and some meds,

H

heisen

What he said young plants will crawl with low res temps.75 is perfect for water temp at early grwth if u can run bennies to keep the herpes out.
Get a fan speed controller for the box or a thermostat that works with a fan.it will kick in when the temp gets to high and shut off at your desired temp.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

What he said young plants will crawl with low res temps.75 is perfect for water temp at early grwth if u can run bennies to keep the herpes out.
Get a fan speed controller for the box or a thermostat that works with a fan.it will kick in when the temp gets to high and shut off at your desired temp.
btw,, a little shit i learned.. on accident but i used it to my benefit, and now part of my staple. You can use water temps, going cold, to slow stretch, if for some reason you need to.. Just kind of cool to be able to dictate the plants growth.. Prob a real fine line.. I hit 51 degrees overnight before I got the heaters in there..

Top Bottom