Desperately needing help. Dead and dying

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lacey

Lacey

Try all the landscape shops. You know the Places that sell truckloads of soil and mulch and etc. I didn’t have any problem getting it in red Bluff huge bags for like 20 bucks. I use Too much perlite probably, but the plants are happy. My 25 gallon bags will probably dry out in four days without a plant in them. But they are out in the sun.
I tried the landscaping company that we got out soil from. They were out.
Now, that it is getting close to the end of the season, I might have more luck finding it. :)

growsince79

growsince79

The top light does not replace 175w HPS -thats a total bullshit lie. The bottom pic looks like 125wn cfl but idk for sure.

Lacey

Lacey

Your roots look like something I’ll pull up in March (from the previous year). Did you recently transplant them? They look seriously fried (even though you say the pots are moist).
We transplanted them into the pots when they were little clones. I believe it was sometime in May.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Screw it. Take one outside and put it in the shade or filtered sunlight for a few days and see what happens. It’s cooling off. What have you got to lose.

mancorn

mancorn

While I actually agree with Tycho that the rotting stems (and loss of outer green layer) is a major problem, IMO this is too little watering and not getting the soil completely saturated. 2 gals of water a week for these size plants is not enough. How familiar are you with watering the fabric pots? It must be done real slow (or the water just pours out the sides). It takes 5-10 minutes per pot, add 1/4 gal, waiting, waiting, another 1/4 gal, sip coffee, wait, another 1/8 gal, eat 1/2 bagel, another 1/4 gal, 5 dog ball tosses, another 1/4 gal, call your mom, finish up with another gallon until it’s dripping out the bottom (not the sides).

edit: as soon as you see water coming out the sides, stop and wait.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I give my outdoor only rain water seem to be doing fine. 🤷‍♂️ Heck, I’m sure it’s >90% of all plants in the world survive on rain water.
Outdoors I can't disagree, but if you haven't tried using rainwater for indoor potted plants, do it sometime and get back to me. It needs to be treated like distilled water and have alkalinity added back to it to work properly.

Lacey

Lacey

That doesn't make sense, where is it picking up 120ppm from? Rainwater is essentially distilled by nature. Normally never higher than 10-20ppm.
The rain water reads 120(ish)ppm. Of course we also have MAJOR fires going on. I haven't seen blue sky in over a month. The rainwater was from the last storm we had almost a month ago, I am sure it picked up some ppm from the smoke.

Lacey

Lacey

Screw it. Take one outside and put it in the shade or filtered sunlight for a few days and see what happens. It’s cooling off. What have you got to lose.
If we put then outside, they will go to flower. All of our other plants(greenhouse) have been weeks into flower already.
I can ask him to add another light or two to the room.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
you started with a clone in a solo cup, then transplanted to a 10 gallon pot? if so, that is what is wrong.

you put the roots down about 6 inches, then watered, and the water went down to the bottom, and the roots got mad at you.

mancorn

mancorn

If we put then outside, they will go to flower. All of our other plants(greenhouse) have been weeks into flower already.
I can ask him to add another light or two to the room.
Bad lighting isn’t going to make your plants wither up and die. They’ll just be thin and stringy. The roots don’t even have absorbent hairs, just thick laterals. There’s no way those roots can take up moisture.

Lacey

Lacey

Your plants are like kids in Ethiopia. No food. No water.

Keep in mind that 99% of the water absorbed by roots is lost via transpiration of the leaves. With plants in those pots, you should be having trouble keeping humidity down. 43% is nothing. The "bark" is coming off because you're plants (roots) can take up water, but the soil is moist and rotting them. The rotting outer layer of the stalks is vitally important to uptake water and nutrients. You're plants are dying a slow painful death and nothing will save them.

But you can *maybe save a few clones and start over in small pot, then transplant once they get big enough. If you do take clones, don't snip the tips of the leaves like everyone does.

To clone,
- Just use Solo cups with seed starter. Put the cup on a saucer.
- Cut the drain holes in the bottom and add one cup of water.
- Cut your clone, scrape the outside off the bottom of the stem for 1 inch.
- Dip in water, then dip in rooting hormone
- *don't dig a hole in your seed starter. Just stick the stem in the soil 3 inches deep.
- 1/2 cup of water 3 days later.
- You'll have roots 7-10 days later and ready to be planted in a 1 gallon pot.

I water/feed every 3 days. This schedule permits you to be absent for up to 2 days.
I water/feed to this schedule. W D D F D D <start over> where:
W= water.
D = dry.
F = feed.

- Fertilizer -
Seedlings get - Small N, High P, Low K
Veg phase get - High N, Med P, Med K
Flower phase get - Low N, Med P, High K

You can do away with all of that by making a super soil that won't require feeding. Just water start to finish.

Easy Supersoil
https://borealcuring.com/growing_tools/super_soil.php

Thank You. I will give it a try.
I have A LOT to learn and I am failing a lot.

mancorn

mancorn

Here’s what I’d expect to see when just lightly scratching the surface of your pot (at this point in your grow).

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think they like the smoke filtered sunlight. Give them a break from the relentless fireball overhead. But it probably doesn’t help your greenhouse stuff. Hopefully you have some semblance of control over what’s going on in there.Keep on bobbing and weaving and counterpunching! And do not for sake the two most powerful allies that we have around here. Abundant sunshine and low humidity.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

If the plants were underwatered, they would have wilted. Unless the OP observed wilting (tips and leaves drooping) at the time of each watering, which recovered quickly when watered, we can safely rule that out. I wonder if they got too much fertilizer, which would kill the root hairs, cause the look of deficiency, and ultimately stop the plant from even being able to absorb water. Many more plants die from over feeding than underfeeding.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
you put the solo cup sized root ball into a ten gallon pot. the roots up top, and the water at the bottom (read about water table, or think gravity), it never stood a chance.

the roots you showed are not at the bottom of the 10 gallons of dirt - they are hanging around the upper middle, and the water is at the bottom...

you are letting things seem complex. this is a simple problem. (imagine my hand like tom cruise in knight and day - here? or here?)

the dirt will wick some water up a little, but mostly gravity is REAL. the water finds its point where its weight is neutral to the natural pressure where you are. that is somewhere around the bottom. you put the roots at the top....

Top Bottom