Desperately needing help. Dead and dying

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lacey

Lacey

The root balls are pretty small.
Is it possible for me to take out 2/3rds of the current and replace it with better soil without doing too much damage?

leave it to me to do everything the hard way.
But I am learning what NOT to do quickly. Lol

Ponky

Ponky

The root balls are pretty small.
Is it possible for me to take out 2/3rds of the current and replace it with better soil without doing too much damage?

leave it to me to do everything the hard way.
But I am learning what NOT to do quickly. Lol
Realistically you could wash away the media and have bare roots and plant them. But I would take the root ball and plant it in some ProMix. Let the promix wick the moisture out of the root ball. And the sphagnum will pull that moisture out of the existing soil real quick.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I just re read the whole thing. I think this is the one that had the tiny roots. Actually just let the plant take it’s own time with the watering. Let it tell you when it needs water. So if it’s 8 days for that pot to be light then let it take that long. I’m the meantime when the time comes to water and you can lift the plants up with ease water slowly till you get run off. And if you do water less next time. I believe the roots need time to grow more.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I just re read the whole thing. I think this is the one that had the tiny roots. Actually just let the plant take it’s own time with the watering. Let it tell you when it needs water. So if it’s 8 days for that pot to be light then let it take that long. I’m the meantime when the time comes to water and you can lift the plants up with ease water slowly till you get run off. And if you do water less next time. I believe the roots need time to grow more.
Actually water till run off if your using bottled nutrients.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I have actually used a small shovel and slipped it in and under the plant and lifted it out along with the surrounding soil and set it off to the side. Covered it with a moist dish towel to minimize light exposure. Quickly remove the oldSoil to your satisfaction. Add a new soil to the bottom of the pot kind of eyeballing how hi you’re going to want the plant to sit in the pot.. remember it will settle so you might want to go a little high. I am a fan of shaking or knocking off most of the old dirt from the roots but I know there are people who will argue that point to the death. If you have two people one can holdOne can hold the plant in place while you backfill or if you have to you can hold it and backfill with a trowelOr your freehand. Now, this may not work if the pot is root bound. It may cost too much damage. Transplanting isn’t rocket science. You just have to plan it and get her done as quickly as possible. Have it all set up. And have your new soil conditioned with Moisture before you get started. I don’t know if you have any mycos , But if you do use it. I have been successful a few times using this method with small root balls.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I was pulling one out once, had my hand cradle underneath it lifting gently and felt some resistance. Said screw it and pulled harder and felt and heard a loud snap! Kind of like breaking 2 pound monofilament.Lol! Said, oh fuck now you’ve done broke the taproot you’re dumb shit. But went ahead and potted It and it never missed a beat. Didn’t even blink! So you have room for error.LOL

Lacey

Lacey

I decided to just leave the plants in what they are currently in and leave then the hell alone.
I found my husband's old seed bank and he gave me the green light to play around. So I did! He has some "mystery" seeds. Hopefully he can remember what strain they are in a few months.

Thank You everyone for all of your help.
The remaining plants are much more happier.

Top Bottom