Desperately needing help. Dead and dying

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lacey

Lacey

Indoor vegetation state. The lights are on 16 hrs a day. I don’t remember what lights they are. But they are about 2 feet above the plants.
Soil in 10 gallon grow pots
1 gallon twice a week (depending on the plant and how dry the soil is)
Fed Maxsea 16-16-16. Once a week Used Recharge once last week.
temp is 77F - 80F with 43% humidity.
Watered with rain water.
Fans running and ventilated.
Plants are dying daily.
First they got droopy starting at the bottom then move up the plant. Then the leaves get dried and then the entire
Desperately needing help dead and dying
Desperately needing help dead and dying 2
Desperately needing help dead and dying 3
Desperately needing help dead and dying 4
Desperately needing help dead and dying 5
Desperately needing help dead and dying 6
Desperately needing help dead and dying 7
Desperately needing help dead and dying 8
Desperately needing help dead and dying 9
Desperately needing help dead and dying 10
plant dies.
I have removed some of the dead leaves and branches.
At the base of the plant the trunk is easily scraped away.
Any and all help is welcome. First attempt of indoor.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

Im no expert but i don't think 1 gal is enough for a 10 gal pot, possibly leaving dry pockets around the root ball. Maybe someone more seasoned than me can chime in to help, I'm not sure how to save those

Lacey

Lacey

Im no expert but i don't think 1 gal is enough for a 10 gal pot, possibly leaving dry pockets around the root ball. Maybe someone more seasoned than me can chime in to help, I'm not sure how to save those
1 gal every watering. I water twice a week a third if they need it. Soil is still moist and its been 4 days since they were watered last. In the last 4 days, there was 1 dead plant, now there is at least 6 dead.
I pulled 2 dead plants to check the roots and to make sure the soil was actually moist and it was. I don't think they are being underwatered at all.
These are clones off a clone off a clone etc.(They were given to us because the owner retired.) These plants are the last of the strain off the original. If they die... the original strain is dead too. They were stretched when we got them, but boy did they produce!!!!

Ponky

Ponky

Your food. Potting medium and watering needs adjusting. I can share a simple ProMix recipe with you if you like. There are also lots of living soil growers here that can help you.
Temperature and humidity during the lights on and lights off period are important to know. And you're growing goals. I urge people to start with a cannabis specific one part food. ProMix. And quality lights. Some organic pest and fungicide. And a few simple instructions and you'll have pounds in no time.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Soil can be tricky unless you really know what your doing. And 1 gal is not nearly enough water for 10 gallons of soil. Should be closer to 3 gallons.

I'd try again with a more user friendly medium like promix HP and use a more cannabis specific nutrient line, there are loads to choose from. And id keep it to 5 gal pots maximum. But 3 gal allows more wet dry cycles which has a benefit if you can keep up with the watering demands.

Could also benefit from higher humidity in veg. 60% or so. Maybe add a humidifier.

What is your light source? They also look a bit underlit.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also, pure plain rainwater is not good for potted plants unless you add some nutrients back to it, it has no alkalinity and is quite acidic usually. I used it for quite some time but you need to be crafty about buffering it properly. I stopped using it a couple years ago because it was giving me grief. Bringing up to 100-150ppm with tap water is a suitable solution.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Pots Up off the floor for circulation underneath. Don’t see any perlite in the soil so maybe to dense and draining poorly. Take a cheapo two prong moisture meter and poke a couple of holes in the bags about 3/4 of the way down. See what kind of reading you get. Also poke It in from the top into the root ball and see what kind of reading you get. Probably in adequate lighting also. But that’s not Whats killing them. Can’t Comment on your feeding. I think, drainage, and watering. There’s my guess!

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

What is PH of the water and water mixed with feed that you are giving them?

also what are you using for medium. It looks like straight soil no perlite, lava rock, etc. for drainage? Could have gotten root rot near the bottom of the container without enough oxygen. I am thinking they are drowning…

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Also, pure plain rainwater is not good for potted plants unless you add some nutrients back to it, it has no alkalinity and is quite acidic usually. I used it for quite some time but you need to be crafty about buffering it properly. I stopped using it a couple years ago because it was giving me grief. Bringing up to 100-150ppm with tap water is a suitable solution.
I give my outdoor only rain water seem to be doing fine. 🤷‍♂️ Heck, I’m sure it’s >90% of all plants in the world survive on rain water.

Lacey

Lacey

We have well water and the ph is 7.3. The ppm is 903. That is why I use rain water. Our rain water is ph is 6.5 and 120 ppm.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I would take an empty pot and fill it 60% soil 40% perlite mix it all together real well and re-pot one of those plants into it.Neighbor.

Lacey

Lacey

Pots Up off the floor for circulation underneath. Don’t see any perlite in the soil so maybe to dense and draining poorly. Take a cheapo two prong moisture meter and poke a couple of holes in the bags about 3/4 of the way down. See what kind of reading you get. Also poke It in from the top into the root ball and see what kind of reading you get. Probably in adequate lighting also. But that’s not Whats killing them. Can’t Comment on your feeding. I think, drainage, and watering. There’s my guess!
There is perlite in the soil. Maybe not enough? The perlite is big and chunky. There is a lovely shortage of perlite in our area.
There seems to be a shortage of basically everything around here.
When I pulled up the dead plants, the roots were medium depth and spread out a bit. I would have liked to see the roots deeper. But they are clones and I am not used to not having a tap root.

Lacey

Lacey

I would take an empty pot and fill it 60% soil 40% perlite mix it all together real well and re-pot one of those plants into it.Neighbor.
I will call around and see if I can even find perlite. When I tried last time, I only found the huge chunky perlite. We broke it up the best we could.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Your plants are like kids in Ethiopia. No food. No water.

Keep in mind that 99% of the water absorbed by roots is lost via transpiration of the leaves. With plants in those pots, you should be having trouble keeping humidity down. 43% is nothing. The "bark" is coming off because you're plants (roots) can take up water, but the soil is moist and rotting them. The rotting outer layer of the stalks is vitally important to uptake water and nutrients. You're plants are dying a slow painful death and nothing will save them.

But you can *maybe save a few clones and start over in small pot, then transplant once they get big enough. If you do take clones, don't snip the tips of the leaves like everyone does.

To clone,
- Just use Solo cups with seed starter. Put the cup on a saucer.
- Cut the drain holes in the bottom and add one cup of water.
- Cut your clone, scrape the outside off the bottom of the stem for 1 inch.
- Dip in water, then dip in rooting hormone
- *don't dig a hole in your seed starter. Just stick the stem in the soil 3 inches deep.
- 1/2 cup of water 3 days later.
- You'll have roots 7-10 days later and ready to be planted in a 1 gallon pot.

I water/feed every 3 days. This schedule permits you to be absent for up to 2 days.
I water/feed to this schedule. W D D F D D <start over> where:
W= water.
D = dry.
F = feed.

- Fertilizer -
Seedlings get - Small N, High P, Low K
Veg phase get - High N, Med P, Med K
Flower phase get - Low N, Med P, High K

You can do away with all of that by making a super soil that won't require feeding. Just water start to finish.

Easy Supersoil
https://borealcuring.com/growing_tools/super_soil.php

Last edited:
Lacey

Lacey

These are the lights I am using. 1 of each.
I don’t know what the “big” one is (last pic). It was given to me and I don’t recall the info.
113F9594 1740 4E14 9868 23A57AE00C45
5B7630AB 72F6 4AC3 BE32 60321FA1685F

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Try all the landscape shops. You know the Places that sell truckloads of soil and mulch and etc. I didn’t have any problem getting it in red Bluff huge bags for like 20 bucks. I use Too much perlite probably, but the plants are happy. My 25 gallon bags will probably dry out in four days without a plant in them. But they are out in the sun.

mancorn

mancorn

Your roots look like something I’ll pull up in March (from the previous year). Did you recently transplant them? They look seriously fried (even though you say the pots are moist).

Latest posts

Top Bottom