Dewaxed Co2 Oil Without Winterization?

• Thread starter CO2Xtractor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CO2Xtractor

Mendo Purp extracted Terpenes
I was always interested in knowing the actual % of terpenes I was getting on a terp frac. pull. Still never sent any in because they are simply too valuable to have tested for bragging rights (in my opinion). I would estimate around 50% also. Are you running on this machine?

Don't know many people who could produce the oil you are showing off. Other than me and a pHD at Evolabs ;)

C

CO2Xtractor

ty for the compliment. Scientific method goes a long way!
You would have truly had a hayday on the machine I designed. The only problem remaining with CO2 extraction is the impossibility of filtering colloidal silica ;) unless you are a genius.

C

CO2Xtractor

ty for the compliment. Scientific method goes a long way!
Regardless, kudos to you for the amazing quality and purity. When the federal government finally gets its shit together and legalizes this, we might be able to prevent cancer from being such an overwhelming epidemic and allow people to live health lives. Unless assholes keep releasing garbage onto the streets:

http://q13fox.com/2016/01/28/hospital-says-increased-cases-of-psychotic-episodes-from-dabbing/

C

califarmer5

Interesting. I do not think the separation can be done at low pressure. To everybody else in the thread..It is interesting to see the partial fractionation, but it seems like you all have a major leap to produce the clear amber lol I could give you the secret, but it wouldn't be fair ^.^ not to mention non competes and such.

@CO2Xtractor A fellow told me his apeks runs at 250-350 psi separation. The machine ive worked runs at 500 on average and can go higher or lower up to 5000 on separator which isnt needed, i dont believe.

G

gt pureweed

@califarmer5 Our apeks-1500-20L runs optimal when the separator is between 250-350psi and the extractor is 1000+. But we've had the separator upto 700 and almost as low as 200. And yea I've read that really anything beyond 3000 to 3800psi isn't as productive. (at least for cannabis). Again that is on an Apeks 1500-20L. It sounds like you have a 5000psi setup. However for better oil separation from the CO2...you need your CO2 to change density back to a gas...that's where dropping temp and dropping below 600psi is ideal.

@califarmer5 If they told you at an event recently in Eugene....then it was me.

T

toquer

So i've been working with a Apeks 5000 20L. If i do my first run as low psi as possible on the extractor i get an oily substance coming out that looks like sludge. a light brown to a dark brown color. anything higher i start getting a mix of this and the crumbly waxy stuff. yesterday i had the first run sent to the lab for a terpene analysis as it's much more fragrant than the higher pressure stuff. how do i refine this first pull stuff? i'm going to try winterizing it and then using the rotovap once i get my cold trap setup as i've noticed i'm losing terpenes when i reclaim my ethanol.

C

C02madman

Could something like this be done on the Waters? We have one and have had some struggle. Id do anything to learn some stuff about dewaxing it through the machine. Also will fresh frozen work on it? Thanks!!

M

Machine54321

Well, this is exactly why I got on here haha...how cold is too cold? I'm a new processor up in WA and have just started running an Apeks 2000 5L. Our very first run gave us a hockey puck of dry ice, we were running at 60F which is what the Apeks tech recommended but that's obviously not ideal. What temp range do you normally run, if you don't mind me asking?

M

Machine54321

I would love to discuss dewaxing co2 extracts. I run a unit that can handle both subcritical and supercritical. I have not been running it that long so any info I can pick up from people in the know would be much appreciated.

M

Machine54321

i have a 2000 5l apeks machine, I'm trying to create a stable dabable product that retains the terps, i have a across 1.9 with a 8cfm,pump and a buechner funnel, I was wondering how people felt about using methanol for winterization.

M

Machine54321

Indeed. That's actually not a bad idea, this food processor is getting old.

1craighender

60F is probably too cold, depending on what your separator pressure is... If you would like to run at 60F, you will need to lower your separator pressure, which can be achieved by changing your orifice to something smaller. The reason I say you need to lower separator pressure is because if you looked at a phase diagram, you'll see that the reason you created a puck of dry ice, is because you were more than likely creating solid, and/or liquid CO2 in your separators.
Or... if you would like to maintain high flow rates and not put a smaller orifice in your separator, you can just raise extractor temp up to 70-75F, this will maintain a good, high separator pressures which means high flow rates, and you'll still be able to get THCA build up on the walls of your separator. This THCA buildup is what is used for making glass like shatter. Keep in mind, if your plant material is not fresh, or has been decarbed you will NOT be able to make good glass like shatter. Shatter becomes hard, or crystalline, because of THCA's ability to crystallize, whereas THC will not crystallize. I would be happy to speak with you, or anyone else on the phone about this, and we can go into more depth. Feel free to text or call me, 812-697-4317, or you can email me at [email protected]

1craighender

i have a 2000 5l apeks machine, I'm trying to create a stable dabable product that retains the terps, i have a across 1.9 with a 8cfm,pump and a buechner funnel, I was wondering how people felt about using methanol for winterization.
Methanol, or Ethanol?? I highly recommend 190 or 200 proof Ethanol.

1craighender

Could something like this be done on the Waters? We have one and have had some struggle. Id do anything to learn some stuff about dewaxing it through the machine. Also will fresh frozen work on it? Thanks!!
Fresh Frozen, Shatter, and Terpene fractions will not turn out well on a Waters machine. The reason is because of the high separation temperatures. I believe Waters machines separators are kept at 100-120F, which is just way to high to maintain and preserve terpenes. To achieve good shatter, terpenes, and/or fresh frozen, you will want to use cold separation, below 60F, in some cases will work, but really below 35F is prefered. Hope this helps

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Does the co2 process extract more selectively than hydrocarbon solvents? How do they maintain finished oil quality after all that fine grinding? Do the high pressures change that dynamic somehow?

Top Bottom