DFG BMS BX1 X Mod Macberry Moonshine DTW Rockwool

• Thread starter tobh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
all settled in for the ride. got their first feed @ 0.5 EC (little hot but I didn't buffer the coco). sitting at 13k lux for right now. lights are still up at the top of the tent dialed to 50% so i figure this isn't too bad. lets fuckin go boys!

PXL 20220724 010445201

PXL 20220724 010506852

Screenshot 20220723 180533 1

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
You running 18-6 currently?
And open ended tubing?
Looks good. Would have preferred to see canna coco, but use what you can find👌

tobh

tobh

Supporter
You running 18-6 currently?
And open ended tubing?
Looks good. Would have preferred to see canna coco, but use what you can find👌
yeah, 18/6 light schedule. since i run salts, drippers are unreliable. i run the open ended tubing the same way on the unislabs. will have to figure out another irrigation system for these plants once the chosen two have been selected and it's time to swap em out for wool.

but, once that happens i'll likely put em back under the blurple and bring feed EC way down to slow em down a lot instead of having a jungle in the closet. been there, done that, it's a pain in the ass to keep up with.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
oh, also have the feed pump on a timer now. 5 minutes, four times a day. once at lights on, then every six hours for the next two, last dryback window is five hours so they have an hour to dry back before lights out. this is the schedule:

5AM @ lights on
11AM
5PM
10PM

when they've settled in and are fully into veg i'll start the steering schedule to steer them a bit harder but for now a generic "keep it wet" schedule should suffice.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Ya, I baby my girls a little more in the beginning. I would be scared to water large containers like that with tiny seedlings.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Ya, I baby my girls a little more in the beginning. I would be scared to water large containers like that with tiny seedlings.
they're only one gallon fabric pots. one thing i learned previously with the coco chips is those things do NOT retain moisture like loose fiber does. plus, i mixed ~50% perlite in as well, so it's more a mix of one part fiber, one part chips, two parts perlite so shouldn't end up too water logged. and, honestly, i've never had an issue overwatering in coco. have had other issues but never overwatering, especially in fabric pots. there's always opportunity for a first to happen though!

those babies all had a lot of roots coming out of the rapid rooters, so i'm confident they'll be just fine. give em a week and they're going to explode with growth.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
they're only one gallon fabric pots. one thing i learned previously with the coco chips is those things do NOT retain moisture like loose fiber does. plus, i mixed ~50% perlite in as well, so it's more a mix of one part fiber, one part chips, two parts perlite so shouldn't end up too water logged. and, honestly, i've never had an issue overwatering in coco. have had other issues but never overwatering, especially in fabric pots. there's always opportunity for a first to happen though!

those babies all had a lot of roots coming out of the rapid rooters, so i'm confident they'll be just fine. give em a week and they're going to explode with growth.
I don’t doubt you!👊
we all grow different is all.
Did you fully water the media when planting?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I don’t doubt you!👊
we all grow different is all.
Did you fully water the media when planting?
ran about 5 gallons from the res through em as soon as they were all placed and plumbed. easier than mixing up individual batches of nutrients to push through then finagle with wet fabric pots. this way it was one and done. we'll see if any issues crop up, the media was pretty wet already from rinsing it.

Reactions: PK1
tobh

tobh

Supporter
just hoping that since i didn't buffer the media before loading into the pots that it won't cause any issues in these first couple weeks while the stupid cation exchange happens in the coir. front row ag is designed for coir, but that's not to say i won't run into calmag issues in the interim while the coir absorbs whatever it wants before it knocks its shit off.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Ya. I see the pic with the runoff, damn I should have overnighted you a bag of canna.
That .5ec have calmag?
yeah, front row ag two part has both. part A contains the cal and part B contains the mag. enables you to adjust each individually. have cal def? up part A. mag def? up part B.

they actually recommend running at 1.3 EC for this stage but since this is the first res, i'll keep it mellow to let the babies adjust to real food then bump up to 1.0 over the next couple weeks as they come into veg.

that run off pissed me off a little lol when i was done rinsing it all (took it from over 5000ppm to 100ppm) the run off was clear. but once the plants were in and placed, that run off looked like black tea initially. ran the feed pump until the runoff was clear again. will likely see that kind of sediment discharge for the first few days until everything settles in.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
@Aqua Man looking at this post (<<< is a link) you mention 5-10k lux for this stage. You see anything wrong with where they're at now? 13k lux with lights 40"+ above them.

haven't noticed any twisting or attempts to hide from the light yet, but they've only been under the qb boards for like an hour, or less.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Ya. I see the pic with the runoff, damn I should have overnighted you a bag of canna.
That .5ec have calmag?
i should clarify, my tap water runs between 190ppm and 225ppm to start out, so the 0.5 EC is what I calculate as the true nutrient load, or around ~250ppm.

the reading in the res bounces between 0.6 and 0.7 right now as I did go ahead and top off with straight tap water again after that first feed.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
@Aqua Man looking at this post (<<< is a link) you mention 5-10k lux for this stage. You see anything wrong with where they're at now? 13k lux with lights 40"+ above them.

haven't noticed any twisting or attempts to hide from the light yet, but they've only been under the qb boards for like an hour, or less.
I think your in the safe zone, but keep eyes.
18 hr cycle more forgiving.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If they are rooted then increase as they tolerate it… 5k usually an unrooted clone, 10k seedlings and rooted clones and then start increasing a few K every few days as they tolerate it

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Why you starting in coco ? Cost? Or speed looking for a mom? Why not start in wool cubes? Just curious
for a few reasons.

1. i don't like mixing media types, so no peat in rockwool.
2. i don't like floppy stems, you can't bury a stem in rockwool, but you can in coco.
3. ease of maintenance once the plants are sexed and big enough for cloning. can dial the feed and lighting way back and keep parent plants going relatively easily.
4. i've NEVER had success germinating seeds in wool. it requires way too much attention and finesse, kinda like peat pucks. if they're too wet, the seed rots, if they're too dry, the seed never does its thing. fuck all that, rapid rooters are like cheat codes for germinating.

don't worry, once it's clone time, wool will make its entrance. this is just the pre-game 🤪🍻

Moshmen

Moshmen

for a few reasons.

1. i don't like mixing media types, so no peat in rockwool.
2. i don't like floppy stems, you can't bury a stem in rockwool, but you can in coco.
3. ease of maintenance once the plants are sexed and big enough for cloning. can dial the feed and lighting way back and keep parent plants going relatively easily.
4. i've NEVER had success germinating seeds in wool. it requires way too much attention and finesse, kinda like peat pucks. if they're too wet, the seed rots, if they're too dry, the seed never does its thing. fuck all that, rapid rooters are like cheat codes for germinating.

don't worry, once it's clone time, wool will make its entrance. this is just the pre-game 🤪🍻
Thanx I’m tryin to make that wool move but haven’t with seeds yet for those very reasons! Great game plan, I may have to steal it

tobh

tobh

Supporter
don't normally check runoff numbers but i was curious so just checked what is coming out of the media -- 290ppm. since i know the plants aren't eating yet, that's a pretty good sign that the coco is getting buffered. based off the volume i pulled from the first fertigation this morning, it's looking like each shot will be depositing about two gallons total.

rough math tells me, averaged out that should put roughly 1.2 gallons of solution through each bag per day. subsequently we shouldn't see any issues with salt build up.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The kids' aunt sent them a gift to fight off the heatwave. Glad she did, almost bought one of these a couple weeks ago, but opted out. Saved me like $70! plus, it's big enough for the lady and I to cool off once the kids are tuckered out for the day. win win.

PXL 20220724 210538038MP

Top Bottom