Dialysis machine for Ebb Flow?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I recently started peritoneal dialysis for kidney failure. If you aren't familiar with it, the basics of it is a solution is pumped into your belly, into the peritoneal area in your lower abdomen. It sounds creepy and it is, but it works well. This is often done with a machine called a cycler. The clinic had a few old models and I talked them into giving me one since they aren't used any more.
The cycler is a machine that can be programmed to dispense a certain amount of liquid, let it sit for a programmable time, and then drains it out and can repeat the cycle whenever and as often as you want. This would work great for an ebb and flow system and would allow for automatic feeding and other nice options. I realize this is a bit of overkill... like using a bulldozer to dig a hole for a petunia! While I was sitting hooked up, I thought it would probably work out great!

threatco

threatco

That sounds pretty baller. How does it drain stuff out? pump or gravity? Picture?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Jimster I'm very familiar with it. I think your absolutely right... would be overkill but would absolutely work. Funny how the same principles apply.

How many hours a day if ya don't mind me asking? I used to set it up for my step daughter. Had to do a training course. My basement was filled with Baxter boxes. Spent a good hour a day setting up and cleaning up.. I don't have to tell you how extremely diligent you need to be when it comes to sterility.

She has since had a transplant and the funniest thing ever was she was excited to pee her pants as she lived since a baby with 100% renal failure.

Now when ya get an upgrade you can make the coolest most technologically advanced f&d system known to man 😁

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Jimster I'm very familiar with it. I think your absolutely right... would be overkill but would absolutely work. Funny how the same principles apply.

How many hours a day if ya don't mind me asking? I used to set it up for my step daughter. Had to do a training course. My basement was filled with Baxter boxes. Spent a good hour a day setting up and cleaning up.. I don't have to tell you how extremely diligent you need to be when it comes to sterility.

She has since had a transplant and the funniest thing ever was she was excited to pee her pants as she lived since a baby with 100% renal failure.

Now when ya get an upgrade you can make the coolest most technologically advanced f&d system known to man 😁
I have the Liberty machine. The one I use for myself (NOT the experimental model!) is 10 hrs a night, 7 days a week. I use about 11 liters a night of stuff pumped in and out. Truthfully, this is the best I have felt in years. The hemodialysis was brutal... you simply lived between treatments. With this, although it's a pain in the ass, is much, much better. When they delivered the supplies for a month, there were 55 boxes. The machine is pretty big, though nd they are developing a much smaller unit... I'm going to see if they would let me be a beta test subject.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have the Liberty machine. The one I use for myself (NOT the experimental model!) is 10 hrs a night, 7 days a week. I use about 11 liters a night of stuff pumped in and out. Truthfully, this is the best I have felt in years. The hemodialysis was brutal... you simply lived between treatments. With this, although it's a pain in the ass, is much, much better. When they delivered the supplies for a month, there were 55 boxes. The machine is pretty big, though nd they are developing a much smaller unit... I'm going to see if they would let me be a beta test subject.
Yeah that's about the same. And I hear ya on hemo. She hated it but it's alot faster. I think about 3-4hrs but has to be done at the hospital and usually she didn't feel so good during and after.

The best part is you can do it at home... I would jump on that beta bandwagon.

Hows the heartburn do you get it also? I mean she was on it for over 20yrs so that may be why

Top Bottom